Replacement Windows

If you want new windows, our need new windows, go for it.
But a word of warning, we sure don't notice any difference in noise or temperature over the single pane windows they replaced.
And my mom had one of those energy audits done. A contractor approve by her utility company came out, took measurements of all the windows and THEN connected to her utility companies billing database to calculate how long it would take to recoup the cost of the windows in energy savings. 160 YEARS! The guy couldn't believe how little electricity she used in the summer, and how little natural gas for heat and hot water. So don't plan on seeing your investment back in your lifetime in energy savings. Mom was 80 at the time, so she passed on the windows.

Our house is a lot quieter now and temps are way better. But I think we had the world's worst windows to begin with, so that's probably the difference.

We’ve been using Anderson as we replace windows. But we had a local contractor show DH how to install one, so he’s been doing them at just the cost of the windows.

We built a sunroom new and used all Harvey windows and an Anderson slider (that our builder had from another job, still new, so we got it at a discount).

I really like the Harvey windows a lot. Super easy to operate and clean. I find the Anderson’s not as easy, with the wooden grills that come off (not so easily). The Harveys have grills inside.

We used a company that manufactures the windows they install locally, about 30 mins from our house. They were the least slimey and gave us their best price first (and it was the lowest quote we got.) None of the let me call my manager and see what I can do, if you decide right now it's a lower price nonsense. During install, too much insulation was put into one of the frames and the window would not open more than 2 inches. The next morning I called their customer service and by that afternoon someone was out to fix it.

So, I would suggest looking for a local manufacturer/installer unless you live in an area where Renewal by Anderson is the expectation when you go to sell your home.

We used a company that manufactures the windows they install locally, about 30 mins from our house. They were the least slimey and gave us their best price first (and it was the lowest quote we got.) None of the let me call my manager and see what I can do, if you decide right now it's a lower price nonsense. During install, too much insulation was put into one of the frames and the window would not open more than 2 inches. The next morning I called their customer service and by that afternoon someone was out to fix it.

So, I would suggest looking for a local manufacturer/installer unless you live in an area where Renewal by Anderson is the expectation when you go to sell your home.
I wonder how many people even look at the brand of windows when they buy a house, if you can tell who make them.

We needed all the windows in our house replaced - 18 of them. The Anderson quote was literally twice as expensive as the Marvin ones we bought and we are very happy we went with Marvin.

We planned to replace a couple of our front windows last year with Andersen because all the rest of our windows are Andersen, but we ended up going with Marvin and we love them. They weren't cheap but less expensive than Andersen.

Were the Marvin’s installed from outside of the house or from inside? I don’t want my inside destroyed so I have to repair and repaint.

I wonder how many people even look at the brand of windows when they buy a house, if you can tell who make them.
In our area, Anderson windows are always included in the online property descriptions and on the info sheets at open houses.

In our area, Anderson windows are always included in the online property descriptions and on the info sheets at open houses.
Never ever seen that. Most interesting. But around here, they don't do open houses anymore. Houses are sold within hours. Checked Zillow, Redfin and Realtor.com, I sure didn't find any even mentioning they had dual pane windows let alone the brand.

We went with a local manufacturer and a mid-priced product, a big quality step up from the vinyl replacement companies you see all over the TV and junk mail but not quite as much as Andersen would have been. But the turn around time right now is slooooow... I ordered in April and we're expecting installation in July or August. One of the other companies we had out for a quote (installing Marvin windows) said they were booking into October. But since the windows we're replacing are mostly original to the house and more than a century old, my main thought was wanting them done before heating season starts up again.

I worked at Home Depot part time. I was in millwork, sold windows and doors. I sold Anderson because that's what HD carried.
I replaced my main floor double hung with Pella casement windows and a patio slider. This was before I worked at HD. Subsequently I finished replacing all of the remaining double hung in the house with Pella casement windows.
From someone who either sold or bought both, you can't go wrong choosing either. They are both a good quality product.
One thing to remember with replacement windows is you are reducing viewing area as well as using the old frame. Sometimes the new windows are great, what they install them in is not.
I did not use replacement windows. I went with "new construction". A little more expensive to purchase as well as install, but worth the extra money if you aren't planning on selling the house any time in the near future.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
I made a folder with the sticker from each window so the new owner had the warranty from each, part number, size and model. If you have the model from both Pella an Anderson it's easy to get OEM parts and accessories.

I made a folder with the sticker from each window so the new owner had the warranty from each, part number, size and model. If you have the model from both Pella an Anderson it's easy to get OEM parts and accessories.
What I like about Milgard is they are local. The window fogged up on the inside. Milgard sent a factory rep out, fabricated a replacement, installed it all for free under the lifetime warranty, and within a week, start to finish.

Window World if you live in Florida. Pay half the price of Anderson for a good quality window and still have a good warranty.

What I like about Milgard is they are local. The window fogged up on the inside. Milgard sent a factory rep out, fabricated a replacement, installed it all for free under the lifetime warranty, and within a week, start to finish.

That was one of the reasons we went with a local manufacturer too - lifetime warranty on seals and other defects, which is a lot more meaningful if replacement is easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter