Renting Points?

Jaguar Skills

Mouseketeer
Hi all. Need some advice if possible.

We are potential UK buyers and are close to securing a deal for DVC resale. The contract comes with around 300 points to be used up by June 2021 as they have banked and borrowed.

If my OH were to fall pregnant and we could not go, is it easy to rent the points?

Or is it best to just get a contract with stripped points so we are within a banking window?

This is an unprecedented glut of points and there are no bookings. I have points that expire in January, and I've accepted that I might just lose them.

With resale, it could take significant time to get them anyway.

I would buy stripped for sure. Or at least not banked.

It shouldn't be hard to rent out points. Even if you had to discount them a bit there should be interest. I personally would have zero interest in buying a stripped contract as the market tends to undervalue banked & current points that you can rent to reduce the overall purchase price.

I have never had a hard time renting points - but you may have to discount them with COVID and mask wearing right now

Finding a reservation between now and February or so may be very hard.

I would not buy counting on a rental, Right now, there are issues With rentals and no one knows the true effect In terms of demand in the future,

I think it is very likely WDW will come out with better discounts which will make renting and a cash reservation much closer,

IMO, right now is not the time to buy and hope you will be able to rent successfully in the next year, unless your plan would be to rent them really cheap so a renter is willing to risk it all,

This is an unprecedented glut of points and there are no bookings. I have points that expire in January, and I've accepted that I might just lose them.

With resale, it could take significant time to get them anyway.

I would buy stripped for sure. Or at least not banked.

Thanks for your response. Could you clarify what you mean about there are no bookings? Do you just mean the hotels are not open so that when they do we might not be able to get anything in November/Feb/April when we would look to travel?

Not at the moment no and probably not for the ext year or so

Ok thanks so we would just risk losing them. I think our travel time Nov/Feb/April should prob be ok Covid wise but it is the falling pregnant that is worrying me that we would just lose all those banked points.

I suppose Disney wouldn't give any leeway on this and it is just tough luck?

I would not buy counting on a rental, Right now, there are issues With rentals and no one knows the true effect In terms of demand in the future,

I think it is very likely WDW will come out with better discounts which will make renting and a cash reservation much closer,

IMO, right now is not the time to buy and hope you will be able to rent successfully in the next year, unless your plan would be to rent them really cheap so a renter is willing to risk it all,

I suppose the renting isn't the be all and end all I just wanted to find out if it was an option if she fell pregnant. Really want to get a contract so we can go early next year if possible, so our preferred June UY is out unless it comes with enough banked points.

We are potential UK buyers and are close to securing a deal for DVC resale. The contract comes with around 300 points to be used up by June 2021 as they have banked and borrowed.

If my OH were to fall pregnant and we could not go, is it easy to rent the points?

Or is it best to just get a contract with stripped points so we are within a banking window?

No one really knows what will happen next. I have a more optimistic view and expect things to bounce back pretty quickly. Over the next month we will get a much better idea of how people behave as restrictions ease. I appreciate that over the next 12 months it maybe harder to get flights/accommodations and companies adjust... but longer term I don’t see a problem.

Disney won't allow you to bank the extra points on a resale, if that's what you mean by leeway.

While some leeway is being given points right now, the contract you're looking at is outside those boundaries even as held by its current owner. And lack of available units is what it is for everyone.

Really want to get a contract so we can go early next year if possible, so our preferred June UY is out unless it comes with enough banked points.

DVC is always at 95% capacity. With all these extra points floating around, those banked points might be useless anyway. Early next year is going to be TOUGH on points. I would go cash. Besides, if it takes two months to close, you will be out of the window anyway.

Just buy a contract without banked points. Use normal (not banked) points. Or, you can borrow up to 50% right now. Or book this one trip cash. If you aren't thinking longer term than one trip, this might not be the best idea anyway.

Definitely the rental market is down right now with both prices and demand. Who knows how long that will last. If you are buying and planning to rent some points out, you should plan for a very low rental rate just to be on the safe side

Unless this contracts is a really good deal, I would pass it up if you don't think you will be able to use the points yourselves before they expire, especially if you prefer studios. Availability is expected to be difficult over at least the next year or so, and you will be well into the home resort priority booking period by the time you can close and access the points. Until the virus is under control (defective treatment or vaccine), rental demand will most likely be down and travel in general, difficult.

Unless this contracts is a really good deal, I would pass it up if you don't think you will be able to use the points yourselves before they expire, especially if you prefer studios. Availability is expected to be difficult over at least the next year or so, and you will be well into the home resort priority booking period by the time you can close and access the points. Until the virus is under control (defective treatment or vaccine), rental demand will most likely be down and travel in general, difficult.

Thank you. Its really difficult to say whether we would use them because of the pregnancy thing. I think we will go for a June contract with no or little borrowed points so we can go in 2021 with those points or shift them to 2022 in the banking window.

I think we will go for a June contract with no or little borrowed points so we can go in 2021 with those points or shift them to 2022 in the banking window.

This is a good plan. Prices are low and booking will come back to normal in a couple years.

Ok thanks so we would just risk losing them. I think our travel time Nov/Feb/April should prob be ok Covid wise but it is the falling pregnant that is worrying me that we would just lose all those banked points.

I suppose Disney wouldn't give any leeway on this and it is just tough luck?
DVC doesn't care about you losing your banked points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts