Rental Rates/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the attitude your trying to paraphrase... I've never gotten any impression like that from this board. Rentee's are not the issue, don't think they ever have been, it's renters that get all the flames.

Originally posted by PamOKW
.... Trying to pick desireable dates to hold for rental is what irks me. There's always someone out to "beat the system" and that is one way to do it.
Agreed. This is not in member's best interest in thier use of pointd for a family vacation. Those engaging in such practices need to recognize the detrimental effect wide-spread adoption of this approach will have on members. Through some interpretations, regular rental of points, without the intention of using them for personal family vacations can be considered a private business and commercial use and fall outside permisible guidelines of the contract.

The statement, there's always someone out to "beat the system" ..... seems to have some validity.

"they don't want "commoners" contaminating "our" exclusive playground."
This is certainly an unfair and untrue characterization of any of the posts I've read. This kind of mischaracterization seems as bad as the labels the poster is trying to attach to others.

This thread has been relatively mild. I'm still reeling from a thread about a year ago that said the rentees were "leeches" and they didn't want them in the "DVC Family."

It does seem people take the "Club" part of Disney Vacation Club a little too much to heart.

Two comments:

First, I see Rich's point about the inequity of holding reservations that you have no intent of using. This may not be against the rules and it may be done within the normal reservation method, but it is inconsiderate of other members (and even other renters). Many of us recognize that the world is a better place for all if we all consider the preciousness of others. I, for one, will continue to return my shopping cart to its designated space so that the next guy doesn't get blocked from a parking spot or get dinged from a runaway cart. It is a matter of courtesy that may not be legally required, but is an act of kindness and humility. That said, I'm sure that some of my 'habits' are reprehensible to others, but I do at least try. Like any community, DVC will have its kind and considerate group and its self-absorbed contingency too. We can't legislate kindness unfortunately.

Second, many have pointed out that there is an emphasis on busy times and weekdays. If this is true, then the problem exists in the point schedules. They should balance the demand for the different seasons and times of the week. If the point differences don't adequately account for the perceived value difference of the majority of owners/renters, then they are not balanced correctly. I would be in favor of redistributing points if it would equalize the demand and discourage reservation squating and peak-season renting. But, I am not convinced that this is a problem based on this thread. We could be just seeing the cases that support this conclusion.

Banter on...

Where's Arny today???
freak4.gif

P.S. I thought this thread could use a little humor right about now!
round.gif

Originally posted by Jen D
This thread has been relatively mild. I'm still reeling from a thread about a year ago that said the rentees were "leeches" and they didn't want them in the "DVC Family."
"leeches"
sarcblink.gif
yikes!!!
eek.gif
that goes right up there with the "studio trash" name-calling.
sarcblink.gif

lol.gif
sorry, i'm still cracking up at how ridiculous the didn't want them in the "DVC Family" thing is... oh, the absurd snobbery...
headshake.gif

(btw, can you tell i just found the smilie's website? heh)

A few months ago I was referred to as "Middle income with low standards" on this board.

Now I'm an elitist snob who doesn't want the unwashed masses at our precious resorts.

(funny I didn't think I was typing anything close to that, but whatever):rolleyes:

This is the heart of the problem- too many DVC owners think we're part of some "exclusive" club and inherently better than anyone who isn't part of it. This is why people have a problem with renters.

It is the impression Disney gives any potential buyer/member.
We don't think we are better than anyone that is not a part of it, but, we were given the impression of "belonging".

Silver Creek, NY, near the Native American reservation, per chance?

I certainly did not make a personal attack on anyone and I clearly said that what is being done does fall into the way the system is currently run. People can book prime dates and then decide whether to use them or rent them out for cash. I never said anything personally against anyone. I do not have any delusion that this is a "country club" or even the "Disney family", it is a way to have vacations.

Maybe "beating the system" is not the way to phrase my concern. To me, DVC was sold as a way for an individual to vacation. It also gave you the option to share these trips with friends and family and to even take compensation for doing so. It was phrased that "no commercial purpose could be used". At the time of purchase, I even asked whether someone advertising in the New York Times would be stopped and was told yes, that would be a commercial use. Using the Internet to rent first became apparent around the time of 12/31/1999. Since then it's continued to grow. However, it still seems to be a small percentage. My concern is that if people booking the most desirable weeks solely to market them to people who rent, could throw this delicate system out of whack. No accusation -- no personal attack. Just an expression of my concern.

well, i reread the whole thread one more time... and here's my opinion on the original topic of this thread:

i think the issue is not "an example of renters hurting us".

it is an issue of "an example of how members who book multiple what-if ressies are hurting us."

basically, it is "inconsiderate" to other members if you book multiple, or i would go so far as to say even ONE what-if ressie. :rolleyes:

if you are not sure you're going, then you shouldn't even book anything. :rolleyes: (yeah, right...)
otherwise you are "taking away" some available nights that another member who was SURE they were vacationing those dates could book.

the issue is not limited to renters, and really should have nothing to do with renters or rentees. the discontent should NOT be directed at renters or rentees, but at ANY member who books what-if ressies.

of course, in reality i bet there are extremely few members who are actually that selfless as to be willing to wait until they are 100% certain they are travelling before booking any rooms.

I am in the Bahama's and don't have the time to read the entired thread so I'll apoligize if this has been covered ad nauseum and with 7 pages I suspect it has. This is the system in place and we bought into this system as it is set up. I have personally recommended members make more than one reservation or reserve more time than they need then cancel what they don't need. It could be changed but to do that would be to set up costs and or penalties for changes far greater than there are now. Is that what everyone wants. I can tell you for certain that this is far more common with members than with renters. With renters it's only held for short time, with members, it may not be cancelled until 31 days out. Lets set up charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior for all members regardless of the use intended!

Lets set up charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior for all members regardless of the use intended!
Nope, I dissagree. DVC was not intended for large rental use, it is intended as family vacation ownership. Those setting up skewed and multiple reservations for renting purposes as a private business are doing so at the detriment of DVD members making reservations for family vacations. To set up "charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior" would be a further example of how rental practices are hurting DVC members causing additional limitaitons and detrimental modification to the current structure caused by those using thier purchase for the intended purpose of family vacations. The above is an example fo the problem the growth of renting could cause, it's not the solution.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
DVC was not intended for large rental use, it is intended as family vacation ownership.

I think the purpose of DVC was to make Disney Corp. lots and lots of money. It also provides a captive audience who will return and spend again. Rentees spend $$ and therefore Disney Corp. likes them. As the slogan says "If you believe in magic you belong"...what it really means is you (and your money) belong.

I'm sure DVD likes the exposure received through renting. DVD knows many former rentees have bought. I don't see renting as a large problem that hurts members.

What percentage of members have ever rented out points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter