Rental car price raised and not notified

Posters who used the mousesavers rate should send a message to mousesavers. They'll either fix it or drop Hertz from suggested rental agencies.
I contacted Mousesavers this morning regarding the Hertz code and this is their response:

"Because of Hertz’s ongoing restructuring, and the difficulties all the car rental companies are having with not having enough cars to meet demand, Hertz decided they couldn’t offer the kind of low-rate discount programs they had been offering in the past. A few days ago, they increased their rates for retail discount programs (like the MouseSavers programs) without warning.
Once travel patterns have stabilized, cars are readily available, and Hertz finishes their debt restructuring, we hope to revisit these discounts and see if we can get something like the offers we were able to negotiate before. But for now, Hertz is unwilling to continue to offer our readers these rates."

I agree about the unscrupulous business practices! Looking at Dollar now or Alamo. Dollar has a pay now rate of $800, which is $200 lower than Alamo, I believe though there is a $50 charge if you have to cancel the pay now price. I'm almost tempted to do the Dollar pay now, prices haven't budged in months, I can't see them changing by August 8th, lol! I just want to make sure if I do the pay now with Dollar I can still go directly to the garage, I don't see why not, but then again look what happened with my Hertz rental!

I agree with the pp to keep checking. Beginning of June I booked a car through Alamo for Fort Myers airport for a weekend the middle of August. It's only a 2 day rental, but the cost was $444. We just became Costco members so I decided to check there. Costco was just slightly cheaper at $435, so I booked that and cancelled the one through Alamo direct. I checked daily (sometimes multiple times a day) and last week the price started dropping almost daily. I have rebooked 7 times as the price gradually went from $434 down to $312, where it currently sits. Included in those 7 times was twice today. I looked first thing this morning and it was down from yesterday, so I rebooked and cancelled. Then an hour or two later I looked again and low and behold it dropped a little more, so I rebooked and cancelled again. As of right now it has gone from $434 down to $312 in 1 weeks time (a $122 savings). I'm not sure it'll go down any more, but I will continue to check daily from now until August as you never know if/when it'll drop again.

I contacted Mousesavers this morning regarding the Hertz code and this is their response:

"Because of Hertz’s ongoing restructuring, and the difficulties all the car rental companies are having with not having enough cars to meet demand, Hertz decided they couldn’t offer the kind of low-rate discount programs they had been offering in the past. A few days ago, they increased their rates for retail discount programs (like the MouseSavers programs) without warning.
Once travel patterns have stabilized, cars are readily available, and Hertz finishes their debt restructuring, we hope to revisit these discounts and see if we can get something like the offers we were able to negotiate before. But for now, Hertz is unwilling to continue to offer our readers these rates."
Thank you for reaching out to Mousesavers and reporting back. I guess since Hertz is unwilling to continue to honor the agreements they had, I'm going to have to be unwilling to keep my reservation with them.

Wow this is unbelievable. I have Budget booked via Costco, I booked it as a throwaway, assuming Alamo (my usual) would come down. (Well, no everything went WAY up and now I am sorta stuck with Budget). Thanks to all who posted this here, I will watch my reservation carefully too.

Unreal...our rate is now more than double for late August. Really disgusting of them to do this as most will prob not find out till they go to pick up the car. Will watch this thread and prob call to express my displeasure.

We arrive in Orlando in 19 days and the rates are only going up. I am very concerned that we will get there and not have a car, even though I do have one reserved through Costco with Budget. Can anyone that has been there in the last week or so share their experience with lines and availability of the reserved vehicles. I worry they are overbooking like airlines often do.

I just sent an email to Mousesavers about it-told them there were a lot of unhappy people with Hertz, and they might want to consider pulling the code-

Oops, just saw the above post about Mousesavers! Thank you to the person who contacted them!

They aren’t hiding behind the pandemic. Car rental companies sold off a ton of cars during the pandemic and now there is a new car shortage due to production issues.

Thanks to everyone for making note of this, I made a reservation last December for a week in August for $339, logged into my Hertz account to see if they also raised my rate.

SO what's worse? Finding that they raised the rate or just deleted your reservation? Well my reservation is not in the "my reservations" section and when I went to search by confirmation number "We didn't find this reservation in our system. Please review your information and try again."

Well better to find out about this snafu now then in 4 weeks when we walk over to the #1 Gold board and wondering why my name isn't there... ugh, what a pain -- so honestly, thanks again to the OP for starting this thread, at least I know about the issue now.

Although, the Mousesavers answer makes me less likely to use any of their deals in the future, either. They needed to put WAY more pressure on Hertz than an "oh well, maybe we can work together in the future, but you're all screwed now...sorry!" It's the last code I use from them, either...and the newsletter may now get unsubscribed by me...

And Hertz is done forever for me - I hope they don't make it as a company, b/c any company that operates like this to their customers deserves to be class-actioned out of existence...

I rented a van thru Hertz for a week recently ..... booked thru "a site" and Hertz had best price ...... did not to this far in advance .....

price for 7 days was quite reasonable even by 'old' standards .....

when we went to pick up the agent got us even MORE discount because we had AAA (which beat the military rate)

Hertz had NEVER been my first choice but they done me good this time around . . .

Is all this legal?
Yes. Using a CDP involves risk in that the agreement between the two parties can change at any time. This happens as a regular course of business when CDPs are renegotiated, usually prices are more stable so it isn't as great of a difference. If there would be a case for breach of contract it would be between Mousesavers and Hertz, Hertz doesn't have a contract with you, they have a contract with Mousesavers that allows their customers to access Hertz at predetermined rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts