remember when disney channel had

And I loved Avonlea. That was such a nice family show.

Now, I've got the Kids Incorporated theme song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot. lol

We LOVED Avonlea!!!! We were able to get the episodes at our library when we were kids. I might have to check Netflix to see if they have them!

I have the Kids Incorporated song in my head too!!! :rotfl:

Phineas and Ferb is cool! Do you remember when they showed Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, and what was the other one?

I fondly remember the Disney Channel circa late 80's. I so wish that there was a retro Disney Channel. First post btw.. glad to be here.

I can't believe I haven't seen someone mention the gameshow Contraption that played in the early days of Disney Channel. I definitely remember Disney Channel being a premium and I was so excited to have it.

I guess this is where my love of trivia comes from. :love:

I can't believe I haven't seen someone mention the gameshow Contraption that played in the early days of Disney Channel. I definitely remember Disney Channel being a premium and I was so excited to have it.

I guess this is where my love of trivia comes from. :love:

OMG!! As soon as I read the word "Contraption", a flood of old school Disney Channel memories came back!! Man, I miss the mid 80s ...

OMG, I have been wanting a vintage Disney Channel for about 10 years!! Maybe we should start a DIS petition... If we got a ton of "signatures," who knows what would happen?

Oh wow, I love this thread! This is the first time I have posted on this board - usually I'm on the Disney parks or Disney cruise boards. But I was looking for a place to complain about the lack of classic Disney short cartoons! This spring break we were at the Grand Californian at DL, and they have a TV with all the classic Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc. cartoons. Why in the world aren't these on TV somewhere?

I've been recording the "Have a Laugh" segments that fill in the end of the hour on the Disney channel, but they are SO short, and they seem to just run the same ones over and over. I do have a few DVDs of the classic cartoons, but for some reason it's not the same to put a DVD in and watch it. I noticed today that the Cartoon Network has Popeye, Tom and Jerry, etc. So why not the old Disney cartoons?

I have just loved reading everyone's memories of the old shows. I'm 45, so I was too young for the old Mickey Mouse club, but I was too old for the Disney channel when it first came out. But when I became a mom eighteen years ago, I had a greater appreciation for the Disney Channel! I did enjoy the old live action Winnie-the-Pooh and the later cartoon version. My kids like Ducktales and Rescue Rangers. Lizzie McGuire is still one of my favorites. And my DSs were obsessed with the animated Mighty Ducks (not the live action film)! We still have the action figures. I don't think anyone else has mentioned the Mighty Ducks, but it was a hit at our house!

Okay, I didn't mean to write so much, but I would be ecstatic if they would start a classic Disney channel!!! :yay:

Don't even get me started talking about all the great stuff they had when the Disney Channel first came out--and for a few years after.
Now?? Awful is the kindest thing I can say.

Just recalled: Didn't the first season of the "New Leave it to Beaver" also debut on the Disney Channel??

OMG, I have been wanting a vintage Disney Channel for about 10 years!! Maybe we should start a DIS petition... If we got a ton of "signatures," who knows what would happen?

Let's do it! I already sent the Disney Channel an email, but who knows where that wound up. Deleted, I'm sure.

It's a good idea and I wish it would happen. BUt even tho we here on the Boards are in agreement, think about how very few of us are left who even remember this stuff? And all the people who have never seen it and could care less.
I want to cry every time I go to Hollywood Studios, go into the Walt Disney exhibit, and see a handful of people. Once we were the ONLY two people in the theater watching the movie at the end.
Sad to say but what you see on the Disney Channel now is what the "people" want these days.

Well, I'm going to try! :) I'll start a new thread titled "We Need a Vintage Disney Channel!" and hopefully we'll get a ton of "signatures." I'm also starting a Facebook page with the same title, so we can get attention there, too! Let's do this! :cheer2:

When the Disney Channel started it was so great. But now there is not a thing I would care to watch. I know there are a lot of shows that are very popular but they are mainly geered toward young teenagers and smaller. There used to be so many shows on that appealed to adults as well. I don't thing it will change anytime soon. I am so glad that I have bought all the Walt Disney Treasures collection.

I also remember Dumbo's Circus from when I was little - that was my favorite show. And Disney Afternoons was a good block of shows...Tale Spin and Dark Wing Duck were my favorites.... I actually have seasons 1 & 2 of Dark Wing Duck on DVD. And I remember they had an Aladdin cartoon for a while that I used to watch. It sucks that almost everything on Disney Channel now is live action. Don't get me wrong, I like Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, and Suite Life...but nothing beats the old stuff!

I used to love the Disney Channel. It was great! I loved it even more than Nickelodeon when I was a kid, and that's saying something.

Standouts include Dumbo's Circus, Alice in Wonderland, Avonlea, DuckTales, TaleSpin, Under the Umbrella Tree, Mouseterpiece Theatre, and Rescue Rangers. I also remember watching a few Aladdin cartoons. Hee, I also liked those silly "made-for-TV" shows like Not Quite Human and Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss.

And... um, what was it, Mother Goose? There was a show that always started with a mother goose telling a story to her little goslings, and then you'd see the "true" story behind a popular nursery rhyme. Google is not yielding anything to my searches.

Like most everyone else, I hate the modern Disney channel. It's like trying to eat knock-off junk food that tastes awful.

I used to love the Disney Channel, too...they had such a diverse selection of programs! I remember seeing:

a TV special from 1967 when the "New Tomorrowland" opened, black-and-white cartoons from the early days, music videos made with Disney animation footage, a TV special from the NY Worlds Fair (with the Audio Animatronic dinosaurs), "Donald in Mathmagics Land", a HILARIOUS short from probably the 1950s about Goofy trying to quit smoking, and, for some reason, the TV show "Ready Steady Go!" from the 60s. This was in the late 80s/early 90s. If they still had such programming, I'd probably be glued to the television permanantly...or at the very least, cancel my Netflix account :rotfl:

Maybe they could have a "retro" Disney Channel, to appeal to those of us who remember the "real" (ie: pre-"all tweens, all the time" programming) Disney Channel? :worship:

I, for one, would pay to see it...

I LOVE classic Disney stuff and would absolutely pay more for a channel that was dedicated to such programming. We didn't get the Disney channel until the 90's, so I'm a child of Talespin, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales etc. as well. In fact, my little sister's ringtone on my phone is the Gummi Bears theme song- she loves it. . . we're such dorks.:cool1:

I could watch the classic Mickey cartoons all the time. We actually have some DVD sets of "The Chronological Mickey (and Pluto and Goofy and Donald sets as well). We too were worried that our kids wouldn't "know" the characters like we do, so we got those DVD's and watched them with the kids before we took them to WDW last year (youngest DS's first time). It worked like a charm- they were both so excited to meet each of the characters, just like I would have been as a child. :goodvibes

Cartoons nowadays focus on technology.. while back then with mickey mouse.. it's all about family and relationships :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter