Religious Services for CP

osprey6

Cheapskate extraordinaire
My nephew is strongly considering the CP for Spring 2012, but he is a devout Catholic and fears that he won't be able to get any time off to go to church. I know at one time there was a Mass held at the Poly, but I heard that went away some time ago. I also know there's a huge church right off the property, but it does him no good if he's always working Saturday night and Sunday morning/afternoon, which seems very likely. How would a recruiter look at asking for defined time off like that?

Anyone have any experience with this aspect of life in the CP?

I'm supposed to be the Disney expert in the family, but I don't have a clue about this, so i got elected to dig up an answer.

All opinions/help appreciated.

They won't schedule around that. You might get lucky and have Sundays off (unlikely, most full time people take the weekend off, and they use CPs to cover) or you could request the time off week after week but there is no guarantee. When you sign up for the CP you have to give full availability, no matter what. If every CP who wanted got sunday off, they'd be down most of their workforce. There are many churches in the area he could visit if he's flexible about the day, though. Mary Queen of the Universe is within walking distance of all the apartments but Vista Way.

There is a Religious Accommodation Form you can submit if you're accepted... I haven't done it, but if he gets accepted he could look into specific Mass times and request that he either ends by x:xx on Saturday or starts later than x:xx on Sunday to attend Mass.

Sorry I can't be more specific.. I'm curious to hear how other people have dealt with this as well!

I'm Catholic and attend a church just up the road from Disney (Holy Family). They have a 7AM Mass and a 6PM Mass on Sundays. It's highly unlikely (though not impossible) he'd be scheduled during both these times.

And yes, when you accept they do ask about religious accommodation, although I'm not sure how it works...

I went to church almost every Sunday while in the program. His best bet is going to be to request to work starting after 12:00 or 1:00 pm so he would still be able to work that day. His chances of being able to attend services will be much higher than if he requested a weekend day off weekly.

This question was in the back of my mind, I was also wondering because I am a Christian and always attend my church in Miami. I, personally, don't feel comfortable going to a church far from mine and not knowing anyone there, so I think I would just do things on my free time like read my bible.

But I'm sure there are other Catholics and also Christian doing the program. Do the participants get together, if anyone has seen something like that?

My nephew is strongly considering the CP for Spring 2012, but he is a devout Catholic and fears that he won't be able to get any time off to go to church. I know at one time there was a Mass held at the Poly, but I heard that went away some time ago. I also know there's a huge church right off the property, but it does him no good if he's always working Saturday night and Sunday morning/afternoon, which seems very likely. How would a recruiter look at asking for defined time off like that?

Anyone have any experience with this aspect of life in the CP?

I'm supposed to be the Disney expert in the family, but I don't have a clue about this, so i got elected to dig up an answer.

All opinions/help appreciated.

Initially, I'd say have him request off the first few sundays he can. I honestly don't think they accommodate cast members for religious services, only like holidays. I do remember hearing church bells so there's a catholic church near by, but otherwise there'd also be the issue of getting to the church once he has the time to do so. Since Orlando is a big city, imagine there are plenty of mass times he could try and go to. personally, i'm a non denominational christian and I went physically to church a few times during my program, but otherwise watced my service from back home online. I don't know if that's an option for your nephew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts