Rehab vs reno or refurb?

What term do you use?

• Total voters

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
Pete and The Dis gang use the word “rehab” (rehabilitation) when talking about the update of hotels or restaurants.

In my region (Toronto, Canada), the term “reno” (renovation) is most common and perhaps “refurb” (refurbishment) a distant second.

This is NOT a criticism or complaint. It’s a curiosity because “rehab” (as I know it) is used exclusively for health. More specifically, its universal pairing as “drug rehab” makes any other use striking when I hear it.

Is “rehab” a common term in Florida when referring to the updating of a building?
(So, this is just a regional difference like how “cookies” vs “biscuits” mean different things around the world).

Or, is this phrasing particular to Pete and The Dis gang?

Again, not a complaint. Just learning something.

I would say reno myself (Australia) but i work in retail and we use the term Refurb for when we re-do a stoe with new fitout's etc.
so for me, either are the norm.
Rehab... I've never heard it outside of Disney talk unless it meant drug rehab or alcohol, or even physical therapy after an accident for example.

I say refurb.

Rehab has a medical connotation to me, like Jes said. Either PT after an injury or surgery - The patient went to short term rehab - or addiction treatment.

I never say reno and never hear anyone else say it either. The only place I might expect to hear that is if someone is redoing a home, like a house flipper.

I think "rehab" would be the exception to use - I could see it if the location had really gone downhill and they were "rehabbing" it back to a former glory - bringing it back to "health" if you will

"Reno" to me is a major overhaul with serious construction and perhaps and update to theme or style - so when they changed some of the Poly rooms to be DVC I would call that a Reno

For what they are referring to I would use the term "Refurb" - which is when they put in new furniture and new carpeting, light fixturs, etc

There is also a lighter version called "refresh" which is just new linens and maybe smaller furniture, etc

All the Disney rooms are on a cycle of how often they get a refesh

I think "rehab" would be the exception to use - I could see it if the location had really gone downhill and they were "rehabbing" it back to a former glory - bringing it back to "health" if you will

"Reno" to me is a major overhaul with serious construction and perhaps and update to theme or style - so when they changed some of the Poly rooms to be DVC I would call that a Reno

For what they are referring to I would use the term "Refurb" - which is when they put in new furniture and new carpeting, light fixturs, etc

There is also a lighter version called "refresh" which is just new linens and maybe smaller furniture, etc

And an addendum to this (the lighter/smaller stuff vs. the heavier/bigger stuff) I've also heard "refresh" used in connection with the term "soft goods" replacement - linens, window treatments, etc. like you said; "Refurb" being used for "hard goods" replacement - furniture, fixtures, etc. Just like you said. I usually agree with you, you're pretty smart. :)

WDW has a refurbishment list it issues for travel agents. I found it strange to use that term, but am used to it now.

When I hear rehab...I think of starlets checking themselves into some facility for substance abuse issues.

When I hear reno...I think I'm finally getting my bathrooms gutted down to the studs and everything ripped out and redone.

When I hear refurb...I think I'm slapping on a fresh coat of paint and getting some new furniture.

Last edited:

When I hear rehab...I think of starlets checking themselves into some facility for substance abuse issues.

When I hear reno...I think I'm finally getting my bathrooms gutted down to the studs and everything ripped out and redone.

When I hear refurb...I think I'm slapping on a fresh coat of paint and getting some new furniture.

thank you for taking what I was trying to say - and doing so much more eloquently!

I just have a couple of bathrooms that I really want renovated, so I have that word on the brain :D

We just did ours last year (my wife did most of the work herself - though I did the sinks) and we are redoing the floor in the kids bathroom shortly (just got the tile) - she will do the work again on that

That's exactly how I would use the words.....

We just did ours last year (my wife did most of the work herself - though I did the sinks) and we are redoing the floor in the kids bathroom shortly (just got the tile) - she will do the work again on that

That's awesome! Probably a huge budget saver as well. Sadly, we are not the handiest of people and with the age of our home, I feel like we might be getting in over our heads...especially with the plumbing aspects.

That's awesome! Probably a huge budget saver as well. Sadly, we are not the handiest of people and with the age of our home, I feel like we might be getting in over our heads...especially with the plumbing aspects.

we did have a licensed plumber do all the major plumbing work - definitely didn't want to risk that. Our house was built in the 1880s so always some sort of complication comes up when reno'ing it

^This. We've been gutting and reno'ing houses for a long time -- so to me "reno" means "let's tear out this bathroom and move it to the other side of the house", or "let's tear off the roof and add another story", or "let's tear out the kitchen to studs and re-build" -- in other words, involved (and messy) work that changes the way something currently is. "Refurb" can also be involved, but not quite as much, maybe "The kids have banged and marked up these walls a lot over the last couple of years, let's slap some new joint compound on bad spots, sand her up and do fresh paint" -- then "Refresh" would be like, "This room looks like 1996, let's paint the wall a new color and replace the curtains". Rehab is like... I just had hip surgery now I have to go in rehab for 3 days, or alternatively Celebrity A has a drug problem and is attending rehab.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter