Refurb? Good idea or bad?

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
I've got a nice Pentax DSLR that I like for more creative shots, but I'd like something smaller that I can fit in a fanny pack or a jacket pocket to take to dinner or to carry when I'm not in the mood to lug around the Big Guy. (I have a little Canon that does a decent job, but the 4x zoom is very limiting.)

I'm reading very good things about the Lumix ZS6 or 7, and have spotted some very sweet deals on Amazon, to get a refurbished model for about $150. That's a great price. But is it really worth it? Would I do better to spend another $100 to get one that's brand new?

Any experiences out there buying refurbished P&S cameras? :confused3

TIA!

In my experience, there's been no downside to buying factory-refurbished electronic items, especially if the warranty matches that of a new example of the same item.

All things being equal, of course -- meaning when you compare refurbished to the exact same item new.

Scott

I've not purchased refurb Panasonics, but I've purchased 2 refurbed Canon P&S - and I'm a believer in Refurbs in general.

Several years ago I bought a 570 IS - it's still in use (I gave it to my older son when I upgraded to DSLR-dom).

In February (2011) I bought a D10 for use on a snorkeling trip and it is still working fine both in and out of the water :-)

I also bought a refurbed Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS lens in Feb and it is not only GREAT ;), but it is working fine.

If savings are higher than 20%, I would consider the refurb. When savings are less than that, I prefer to get the NEW IN BOX.

I pulled the trigger. I decided to go with the refurb.

Standard price for a new one is about $250.

The refurbished, spruced up by Panasonic and with all the original accessories, is about $160, with free shipping.

That's a savings of about 40%. Seems worth it to me for what is, by most accounts, a first-rate travel P&S. We'll see. I'll have to post some pics after my trip later this month. Meantime, thanks for your thoughts! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!