Refillable mugs while on dining plan?

bicker said:
Well, I don't see a restriction against filling your Universal Studios souvenir mug either. :)

I'm sure if Disney sold them they'd figure out a way
to regulate them if they really wanted to... :goodvibes

I have never gotten the refillable cups. How much are they and where do I get one? I know the price probably goes up but about what price?
Thanks, Merilyn

I think the answer depends on how many snacks you plan on using. If you are a big snacker or like ice cream, etc., you should get the mugs. However, many people don't use the snack credits because you get so much food at your meals there is hardly any room for snacks. This is what we found and used snack credits for drinks (mainly water because you can't get bottled water with the mugs). It was also easier because we didn't carry the mugs in and out of the parks with us.

TBGOES2DISNEY said:
Is it a better value to get the mug or to keep a cooler in your room with drinks? Does Disney want you to buy a mug for each member of your family or can families share the mug? Don't flame me! We're used to sharing drinks, and I want to know what will be cheaper. :)
You can purchase around 140 cans of coke for $12; how long will that last you? If just drinking cokes, we'd never stay long enough for this to be a value; plus, as mentioned by others, it is usually more convenient having drinks in our room.

Grab a drink from your cooler when heading to the parks and you don't have to worry about doing something with the mug during the day. If you plan to eat in the food court, you can take drinks from your room and skip buying any with you meal.

how on earth can you get 140 cans of coke for 12$ -- I get about 48 for that price at a good sale.

laughingmama said:
how on earth can you get 140 cans of coke for 12$ -- I get about 48 for that price at a good sale.

Good catch...I confused 12-pack prices with 6-pack prices. :guilty:

We get name brand cokes for $2 a 12-pack when on sale; off-brands are cheaper. If driving to Orlando, we pack some we have purchased on sale. If flying and purchasing at Wal-Mart or a grocery in Orlando, the prices will probably be closer to your figure.

140... :crazy:

drogerstn said:
We get name brand cokes for $2 a 12-pack when on sale; off-brands are cheaper. If driving to Orlando, we pack some we have purchased on sale. If flying and purchasing at Wal-Mart or a grocery in Orlando, the prices will probably be closer to your figure.

...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand...

We end up using a mug about 4x per day - once in the morning for coffee, once departing for the parks for kid's juice, once at the mid-day resort pool break for a slushy, and once for evening returning to the parks. This likely gives quite a bit more variety (coffee-juice-slushy-soda) which appeals across our family and is perhaps more healthy than downing soda after soda.

During the day, we also end up doing two things with the mugs fairly regularly - using them to fill up on water/ice in the park from the fountains, and using them (cleaned out!) to keep things dry on rides since they are pretty water tight.

We carry only a rear "fanny-like" hiking pack which has two holders on each side of the main storage area where the mugs fit perfectly (been using the same one for 5 years now, but saw them this weekend again at Walmart). This way, we don't have to carry the extra weight of the cans/water bottles around, have them on hand for whatever need might arise, and honestly it is a bit better for our planet, re-using containers rather than getting new ones or using cans/bottles all the time.

It works VERY well for us. To each their own.

Golliwobbler said:
...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand...

Coke is what southerners say for colas.

In Delaware, we called it soda. In Jacksonville, FL (deep south...borders on Georgia), it's Coke.

Took some getting used to, but it's very, very common in the south :)

mmmmmm! which resorts have slushies that you can get with the mug? what about the beach club??

Golliwobbler said:
...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand....
coke = soda = pop

"Coke" is name brand; "coke" is generic.

When I was in college, I asked a roomate (from Massachusetts) if he wanted a coke while I was getting myself one. Roomate replied "Yes" and couldn't figure out why my next question was, "What kind do you want?".

bicker said:
I'm sure Coca-Cola's lawyers would disagree. :rotfl:

Right you are. The word "Coke" has been a registered wordmark (see registration # 0415755) of the Coca-Cola Company since 1945; although Coca-Cola had been using it in commerce since 1941. It's an arbitrary name (regardless of the fact it's an abbreviation) that arose through use. The word 'coke' cannot be trademarked without stylization because it's the name of a particular type of coal and has been in use longer than the beverage we happen to be discussing. Coke (or coke) is not a generic term in the beverage industry, though it is in the fossil fuel energy industry. The generic term would be 'cola' no matter what we call it. <hic> ;)

aubriee said:
In May when we used CS at the resort we got bottled water to drink later at the parks, then used our refillable mugs to get a coke to drink with our CS meal. We also used them for hot chocolate or coffee every morning (as well as every night when we came back from the parks).

Fruit and muffins count as a snack, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't get something like that for breakfast then use your mug. FYI-you can also get an entire box of Entimenns donuts for a snack credit. I think they had like eight donuts in the box.

Okay, where did you get the Entimenns? We'll be tent camping at Ft. Wilderness, and the refilable mug with coffee and some Entimenns donuts would be awesome!

bicker said:
I don't believe there is a rule about everyone in your party having to get a refillable mug for any one of them to be able to get one. Rather, I believe the only restriction is that you cannot use your refillable mugs to fill other mugs, just to get around the need to pay for extra mugs.
How many times have i seen 7/11 mugs being filled at the all stars :rotfl:and 1 bloke trying to fill one of those backpack things.I agree that you dont have to buy for each person.When we first visited in 93 it was a mug for drinks for your lifetime (there were posters on the walls stateing this)But now its length of stay :confused3
Paulh

drogerstn said:
Coke is generic in the colloquial sense. :rolleyes:

Do I need to xerox this and fedex it to you? :goodvibes

Hey, in MA when I was little, coke was "tonic". We say Soda now, don't here tonic anymore.

Either way it's wicked good.

If you get jello on the dining plan and it gets on your face, will they give you extra kleenex ?

frayedend said:
If you get jello ?
We say Jelly and its not as hard as you have over there.I say tomato :rotfl:
Paulh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter