Reef Safe Sunscreen for cruise

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I'm ordering some of the Reef Repair to try before we go. So, appreciate everyone here and their willingness to help out others.

Many states and countries have laws required "reef safe" sunscreen, regardless.
Those laws often don't say what people claim they say. For example, Hawaii bans the sale of sunscreens containing certain ingredients, but they don't ban the use of them.

Banana Boat ultra sport. Save your money and keep the highest level of protection. Your skin and the skin of your children outweighs the concerns of negligible effects to the oceanic environments. Reef safe is a money making scam.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreen/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen-a3578637894/

Great article. Talks about the very unclear and unreliable data with regards to sunscreens affects on the the oceanic environment. Does however sound the alarm on skin cancer protection or lack thereof.

Banana Boat ultra sport. Save your money and keep the highest level of protection. Your skin and the skin of your children outweighs the concerns of negligible effects to the oceanic environments. Reef safe is a money making scam.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreen/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen-a3578637894/

Great article. Talks about the very unclear and unreliable data with regards to sunscreens affects on the the oceanic environment. Does however sound the alarm on skin cancer protection or lack thereof.
But if we can protect our skin AND follow the rules of the countries we are visiting then it's a win on all fronts!

We used the Reef Repair at Castaway Cay a couple weekends ago and we were very pleased. No burns for anyone! It rubs in well and protects well. Plenty of people at CC could have used it. Wow, there were a lot of burnt people that night. Yikes!
Thank you.

Our dermatologist has recommended Bullfrog products for years. The gel products, (not the creams) are nearly waterPROOF. For my ultra pale, practically translucent-skinned family, the Bullfrog gels do not sweat off, do not swim off, do not wear off until we shower with soap and scrub off.

That’s why she recommends it… it doesn’t need to be reapplied multiple times for most people, other than the back of your hands or if you wash your face. And it dries completely & quickly, so it won’t get into a youngling’s eyes if they rub them.

I would think if it won’t come off romping at a pool or water park, it’s not gonna come off in the ocean. Idk if it has the reef safe designation or not… but I’d feel fine using it.

I second (third?) the suggestion of long-sleeved spf-rated clothing. One of our boys was so burn-prone that’s we would still make him wear long-sleeved T-shirts even with sunscreen. This was before there was spf-rated clothing, though…

I personally think we need to worry more about all the pollutants being pumped into the oceans and rivers from multiple industrial sources, before we worry about the comparatively minute amounts from tourists’ sunscreen. But that’s just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter