Reading challenge 2021

03/60 The Road Through The Wall by Shirley Jackson
Everyone knew the residents of Pepper Street were "nice" people -- especially the residents themselves. Among the self-satisfied group were: Mrs Merriam, the sanctimonious shrew who was turning her husband into a nonentity and her daughter into a bigoted spinster; Mr Roberts, who found relief from the street's unending propriety in shoddy side-street amours; Miss Fielding, who considered it more important to boil an egg properly than to save a disturbed girl from destruction. It took the gruesome act of a desperate boy who lived among them to pierce the shell of their complacency and force them to see their own ugliness.

I didn't care for this one. Way too many characters to keep up with for such a short book.

2/35 No Time Like The Future: An Optimist Considers Mortality by Michael J.
Fox

In his latest book he describes his latest health struggle. Not Parkinson’s but
rather a tumor on his spine that threatened to leave him permanently in a wheelchair. More than that, it threatened his usually optimistic view of the future.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was a quick read, but I find Fox to be very likable and down to earth. I enjoyed reading about his supportive family, his health struggles and all he has done and continues to do through his foundation for Parkinson’s research. I never read either of his previous books but I may now. I believe he narrates the audiobooks so I may go that route.

I briefly met him at an event years ago. I found him to be a very kind man.

Ok, I finished book 1, Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. I mainly read it because I wanted to watch the Netflix adaptation and I really, really try to read the book before I see any movie. The adaptation was not good. Way too much stuff left out.

I'm now on book 2 The Whistler by John Grisham. So far, so good.

I started in December but just finished:

1. Voices in the Ocean: A Journey into the Wild and Haunting World of Dolphins by Susan Casey. The title says what it's about. To add just a little more, it's the author's journey around the world talking with those experienced in the uniqueness of dolphins, those engaged in the effort to free dolphin's in captivity, atrocities dolphins have experienced at the hands of humans around the world for sport or sales, etc.

2. My Losing Season by Pat Conroy. The author's memoir on his experience as a Citadel college basketball player in the 60s.

I hope to get 40 books read this year. I read that many last year but I didn't log them on Goodreads. I'm really looking forward to new releases from Leigh Bardugo, Christina Henry, Stephen King and V.E. Schwab. Currently, I'm reading Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor.

Of course the year I say I will read 104 books I don't start reading until January 10th. I'm already behind. Selling your house and having time to read don't work well together :rolleyes2

1/104: Home Before Dark by Riley Sager (4 stars)

Read my first 2 books

1 was "Bow Wow Rescue" by Mike Faricy I'd expected that with a title like that, it would be all about dogs, but there was really very little about dogs Honestly, at one point, I double checked the cover to be sure I'd gotten the correct book But it was still cute and enjoyable 4 stars

2 "A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight Wow, I LOVED this book! It grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go 5 stars

5/100 Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger

Selena is on her way home from work late one evening and she meets an interesting woman on the train. They share some confidences and then each go on their way. Then, things start to happen…
I really enjoyed this book. It was very twisty and convoluted in a surprising way. But as the pieces all started to come together you can see how they all fit. definitely some connections to Strangers on a Train. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

6/100 Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

This is a light and frothy memoir by someone who’s had a rather interesting life. No real lessons to be learned here besides to just keep livin’. He does explain why he never uses the g in that word. 3/5

3/35 The Last Year of The War by Susan Meissner

A young American girl with German parents is sent to an internment camp during WWII where she meets a young Japanese American girl her age. They become fast friends but get separated when both families are sent back to their respective countries.

Loved, loved this book. It was mentioned in last year‘s thread so a big thank you to those who recommended it. A really well written historical fiction that I just couldn’t put down. So interesting to read of a part of American history that I, for one, never learned about in school.

3/40 The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (Bridgertons #1)
My Goodreads rating 3 out of 5 stars

I liked it more than I thought I would, and I do not usually read romance novels. I wanted to read it before I watch the show. Looking forward to that now and will probably read the next book eventually.

04/60 Daddy by Emma Cline
Stealing these comments from a couple of Goodreads reviews:
"Interesting (NOT!)stories that dance around what they are really about. In every story there is something significant that goes unsaid as if it isn’t the point at all."
"these stories felt flat. I didn’t care for any of the characters and in most cases, nothing really happens. in fact, over and over again, they just end. No resolution, no meaning."

Somehow I missed the fact that this was a book of stories.....I kept waiting for them all to tie into each other and give me an 'aha!' moment, lol. Soooo, I do not recommend.
This is the second book I have muddled thru so far this year.
Going to start 'The Guest List' by Lucy Foley next. If anyone has read that one please let me know if it is good.

I liked The Guest List. It takes place on an island where there is a fancy wedding planned. Of course, being on the island means that cell phone reception is a little spotty. This contributes to the mystery. It reminded me a little of Agatha Christie‘s And Then There Were None

Since we’re counting ones we started in 2020 and finished this year, I’m up to:

2/21 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

(my “upstairs book,” which I finished last night.) - Great series, as I’m sure everyone here already knows!

I re-read them every so often, but this is my first year joining the thread, so I haven’t counted them yet. - I may have to take a break, though, as I keep screenshooting posts with recommendations to add to my reading list! 😆

PS - @Wendy1985, I don't see my name in the roll on page 1, so I think I might have been missed in sign-ups. My other post was #117.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter