RCL Anthem in rough storm yesterday

Thank you so much to everyone for all the feed back I truly appreciate it and have taken it all on board. I won't let my fears stop me having a great vacation.

This must have been terrifying, I am so glad you are ok and it really puts my fear into perspective. I'm sorry this happened to you and any others that were affected

Thank you all again

Thank you @FutureMrsF, it was truly scary.

saw a lawyer saying that the only passengers that may be able to sue RCCL would be the ones that were actually injured, as there's no cause of action for being frightened. I would suppose that unless they can sue in a jurisdiction that allows for suing on negligent infliction of emotional distress, they probably wont get far in court looking for damages, especially with the full cost of the cruise refunded. I know that most jurisdictions have a cause of action for INTENTIONAL infliction of emotional distress which usually accompanies a suit for actual damages. Don't think anybody will allege that the captain of the Anthem sailed the ship into that storm intentionally, in order to scare the passengers.

Maybe if someone ends up having to go to doctors for years because they were that frightened. Wouldn't know unless somebody tries to bring such a lawsuit, and then they'd have to stick to a statute of limitations anyway most likely.

saw a lawyer saying that the only passengers that may be able to sue RCCL would be the ones that were actually injured, as there's no cause of action for being frightened. I would suppose that unless they can sue in a jurisdiction that allows for suing on negligent infliction of emotional distress, they probably wont get far in court looking for damages, especially with the full cost of the cruise refunded. I know that most jurisdictions have a cause of action for INTENTIONAL infliction of emotional distress which usually accompanies a suit for actual damages. Don't think anybody will allege that the captain of the Anthem sailed the ship into that storm intentionally, in order to scare the passengers.

Maybe if someone ends up having to go to doctors for years because they were that frightened. Wouldn't know unless somebody tries to bring such a lawsuit, and then they'd have to stick to a statute of limitations anyway most likely.

Sadly, I would not be surprised if there is not a lawyer group setting up to get a class action suit going!

I can see the TV commercial now....*BAD SHIP*

AKK

True, But this makes the weather service just look.......stupid!

AKK

Ah --but which weather service?? Already seen several who claim the severity of the storm WAS predicted.

Hope there IS a formal investigation--has RCCL called for one to exonerate themselves???

They are taking a beating on the national TV and print media.

I wouldn't worry about it. Anytime of year carries a risk that the ships will become rollercoasters for lack of a better term. You can sail in Oct and have a hurricane decide to play tag with cruise ships. You can sail in the winter and have basically a hurricane say tada here I'm am. Spring is the same way. The ships are more then built to take what they have been handed to date and then some. Contrary to popular belief, the Capts will do everything they can to avoid the severest weather for any number of reasons. Guest comfort, damage in the ship like bottles and plates etc falling and breaking. Broken glass on the outside decks etc.....

HMM-judging from the many pictures and video I've seen, the CPT of the Anthem seems to have NOT done everything he could----

Need to vent!

I just can't get over the news media coverage. Just went to CNN to read a story about whether or not the Anthem should have sailed, trying to see if there was any new news. What do you think the lead picture was? Not the Anthem but the Concordia on its side, really!

Why do they have to overblow this and well everything for that matter. Reading the story, they make it sound like no ships should ever leave port if a storm is brewing. I have seen data that definately predicted a storm, but not to the level that it was. It is possible that with weather prediction being the crapshoot that it is, different weather predicting stations had different forecasts. We all see it all the time, a week or 2 ago we were supposed to get almost a foot of snow and ended up with less snow on the ground then we started with after the storm passed.

We are going on our first RCCL cruise next year, everything I have read makes me believe that everything will be fine even if we get caught in a crazy storm.

Thankfully I followed another forum with live reports from the ship, but now that they have debarked, we will have no clue what is going on until the next group gets on.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

@Tonka's Skipper & @truck1, what do you fellas make of this? Still the press raking up crumbs to spin? I'm not one to pounce on a captain. Not at all. Y'all know that. I'm still not 100% sure what options they might have had. Sail straight east from NJ then back? Cruise to nowhere? Try to get east then turn south? Would the storm have turned and still cut them off? Alternative routes surely would've made for angry cruisers fuming at the changed itinerary. Def a lose/lose, damned if you do/damned if you don't. Is it possible the capt thought the forecasts were overestimating and opted to power thru it along the coast? I mean, at least along the coast help is closer if needed. Powering thru as he pushed south and the storm moved north, maybe he thought they'd clear it within a couple hours. I dunno.

Not looking to shame or point fingers. Not even sure what to make of this info. Looking to discuss. Objectively.

Need to vent!

I just can't get over the news media coverage. Just went to CNN to read a story about whether or not the Anthem should have sailed, trying to see if there was any new news. What do you think the lead picture was? Not the Anthem but the Concordia on its side, really!

Why do they have to overblow this and well everything for that matter. Reading the story, they make it sound like no ships should ever leave port if a storm is brewing. I have seen data that definately predicted a storm, but not to the level that it was. It is possible that with weather prediction being the crapshoot that it is, different weather predicting stations had different forecasts. We all see it all the time, a week or 2 ago we were supposed to get almost a foot of snow and ended up with less snow on the ground then we started with after the storm passed.

We are going on our first RCCL cruise next year, everything I have read makes me believe that everything will be fine even if we get caught in a crazy storm.

Thankfully I followed another forum with live reports from the ship, but now that they have debarked, we will have no clue what is going on until the next group gets on.
I'm with you. It is shameful the way the media blows up stories to exploit ratings. That's why you really can't trust the news outlets. Everyone is spinning to duke it out for ratings.

Regardless, lessons will be learned. I'd still sail RCI.

Not 100% if the next sailing is going to happen. See above link. Looks like the USCG has found reason to hold the ship for some things that need to be addressed.

Ask another lawyer. There is something called "negligent inflicting of emotional distress" with an exception to the physical injury requirement if the mental distress is serious and genuine. Does the have any basis here? Dunno, ask another lawyer. Some say "don't second guess the Captain" but that of course is what we all do all the time. If the Captain acted reasonably, so be it. If he was negligent, then NCL has a problem. Just like DCL entering Sandy when a number of other Captains with the same information did not, each situation has its own nuances, and one needs full information to have an informed opinion. If this finds its way to the courts, then we might have a better insight into the decision process used by this Captain and any others who might have been at the helm of a cruise ship with the same weather forecast. Stimulating to talk about on this board, especially with just some of the information, but I caution against thinking we know enough to be assuming the Captain made the <right, wrong (choose one)> decision.

I understand that the field (sea?) of maritime law is quite different from what is practiced in the US. Not sure where jurisdiction lies if a suit had merit.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

@Tonka's Skipper & @truck1, what do you fellas make of this? Still the press raking up crumbs to spin? I'm not one to pounce on a captain. Not at all. Y'all know that. I'm still not 100% sure what options they might have had. Sail straight east from NJ then back? Cruise to nowhere? Try to get east then turn south? Would the storm have turned and still cut them off? Alternative routes surely would've made for angry cruisers fuming at the changed itinerary. Def a lose/lose, damned if you do/damned if you don't. Is it possible the capt thought the forecasts were overestimating and opted to power thru it along the coast? I mean, at least along the coast help is closer if needed. Powering thru as he pushed south and the storm moved north, maybe he thought they'd clear it within a couple hours. I dunno.

Not looking to shame or point fingers. Not even sure what to make of this info. Looking to discuss. Objectively.

Hi Sweetpea,

What you see there is a typical USCG *talking head*,someone trained to give out information. Everything he said is basically very true. Except there is much more going on. Right now there is a flock of surveyors, engineers, Port Captains and Port engineers. The most important is the Class Surveyor. He represents the Classification society who is responsible to make sure the vessels equipment is working correctly,the vessel is fully fit and safe and is in compliance with all rules and regulations. There is a mile of computer disks with everything on board the vessel and lists and lists of what is the proper limits and ranges and conditions of very part of the vessel to be deeded seaworthy.

Right now everyone is reviewing ships recorders and records, doing inspections of machinery and systems. Anything having issues is being checked and repaired. If something is not important, it is possible a waver will be given, requiring whatever to be repaired by whatever date or when replacements can be installed or parts are received. Class and RCCL will be in discussions with the USCG, advising them of the overall picture and Class will write a report over what he is requiring , to let the vessel sail again. The USCG will almost always go along with the Class Surveyor, but not always. Of course incidents, like a major cruise ship going though a major storm with damage and a few injuries, may induce the USCG to be more strict.

As to the pod, any number of things may have caused the port pod to be down or running slower. It may have been shut down to permit inspections or repairs. In other words it could be something very minor to something very major, requiring shipyard. Yes the vessel came though the storm with superficial damage but with the swells and pounding she took, the props would have been in and out of the water and that does put a lot of stress on the machinery, systems, hull and props.

We should know much more tomorrow.

Based on what we know now, I see no reason why the Master should not have sailed Sunday. In fact considering what the videos and photos posted show and the really superficial damage we know of, he must of done a excellent job, minimizing the movement, rolling and pitching, surging, etc. As hard as it was for the passengers in their cabin, it was the smart move for the Master to give that order and he likely minimized a great many injuries but not having passengers wondering around, getting thrown against the bulkheads and whatever.

We all know some fools would mange to wonder out on the open decks and end up getting tossed overboard.

AKK

Last edited:
Hi Sweetpea,

What you see there is a typical USCG *talking head*,someone trained to give out information. Everything he said is basically very true. Except there is much more going on. Right now there is a flock of surveyors, engineers, Port Captains and Port engineers. The most important is the Class Surveyor. He represents the Classification society who is responsible to make sure the vessels equipment is working correctly,the vessel is fully fit and safe and is in compliance with all rules and regulations. There is a mile of computer disks with everything on board the vessel and lists and lists of what is the proper limits and ranges and conditions of very part of the vessel to be deeded seaworthy.

Right now everyone is reviewing ships recorders and records, doing inspections of machinery and systems. Anything having issues is being checked and repaired. If something is not important, it is possible a waver will be given, requiring whatever to be repaired by whatever date or when replacements can be installed or parts are received. Class and RCCL will be in discussions with the USCG, advising them of the overall picture and Class will write a report over what he is requiring , to let the vessel sail again. The USCG will almost always go along with the Class Surveyor, but not always. Of course incidents, like a major cruise ship going though a major storm with damage and a few injuries, may induce the USCG to be more strict.

As to the pod, any number of things may have caused the port pod to be down or running slower. It may have been shut down to permit inspections or repairs. In other words it could be something very minor to something very major, requiring shipyard. Yes the vessel came though the storm with superficial damage but with the swells and pounding she took, the props would have been in and out of the water and that does put a lot of stress on the machinery, systems, hull and props.

We should know much more tomorrow.

AKK
Thanks for the info. Good stuff. Like I said, I take 99.9% of what the media states with a grain of salt. They can take a simple statement and spin it any direction that suits them. That's why I sought better info. Waiting to see what the word is. Interesting to say the least.

exactly what would they sue for if they were not injured and the cost of their cruise was refunded? Punitive damages only? Can you sue for only punitive damages? don't think you can do that in most courts. They'd need to go to psychiatrists or psychologists and run up some bills.

In addition to what Tonka said,Pretty much normal happenings after an event at sea. The CG boarded when the ship got home doing a semi random planned inspection. Probably when the ship called and asked for a tug assist is what triggered it. The ships typically see a boarding team a couple of times a year, for random things. Most of the time its no rhyme or reason, it keeps the crews on their toes, and honest since typically they just show up, with no warning. Theyre there to make sure the ship really didn't hurt itself, and all of the safety and mandatory systems function. Its in their job description. Ive seen them on the Magic when she came home from drydock, and theve been on the CCL and other RCCL ships that have had issues. Nothing big there except the local news looking for sensationalisms.

The news still hasn't caught on that the weather most likely changed. No big surprise there. Its sounds better saying the ship knowingly sailed into a hurricane situation then oops, the weather changed in between. So much for fact checking.

As far as where they could have gone, with the info at hand and seeing the weather charts first hand, there was no where for the ship to go. The system was moving ne nne. It was coming off the coast and had they run for the open ocean, the storm would have gotten them there. They couldn't come in any further west because the shoaling effect would have made the waves even bigger. And more unpredictable. At least where they were they were somewhat predictable. They took the open route available which theoretically should have brought them in behind the storm. and conditions would have bee manageable. Uncomfortable for some but manageable.

As for the Azipod, there probably isn't much to it other then at best coincidence. Azipods have been know for years for premature failures, usually in the bearings in the thru hull but other issues as well. I think it was Carnival that got several million dollars because of the constant failures. Freedom when she was made, burned a bearing set up before she left the pier for the first time. Allure of the Seas either just went to or will be going to dd early for a pod failure. Its entirely possible that the storm "hastened" the failure.

In addition to what Tonka said,Pretty much normal happenings after an event at sea. The CG boarded when the ship got home doing a semi random planned inspection. Probably when the ship called and asked for a tug assist is what triggered it. The ships typically see a boarding team a couple of times a year, for random things. Most of the time its no rhyme or reason, it keeps the crews on their toes, and honest since typically they just show up, with no warning. Theyre there to make sure the ship really didn't hurt itself, and all of the safety and mandatory systems function. Its in their job description. Ive seen them on the Magic when she came home from drydock, and theve been on the CCL and other RCCL ships that have had issues. Nothing big there except the local news looking for sensationalisms.

The news still hasn't caught on that the weather most likely changed. No big surprise there. Its sounds better saying the ship knowingly sailed into a hurricane situation then oops, the weather changed in between. So much for fact checking.

As far as where they could have gone, with the info at hand and seeing the weather charts first hand, there was no where for the ship to go. The system was moving ne nne. It was coming off the coast and had they run for the open ocean, the storm would have gotten them there. They couldn't come in any further west because the shoaling effect would have made the waves even bigger. And more unpredictable. At least where they were they were somewhat predictable. They took the open route available which theoretically should have brought them in behind the storm. and conditions would have bee manageable. Uncomfortable for some but manageable.

As for the Azipod, there probably isn't much to it other then at best coincidence. Azipods have been know for years for premature failures, usually in the bearings in the thru hull but other issues as well. I think it was Carnival that got several million dollars because of the constant failures. Freedom when she was made, burned a bearing set up before she left the pier for the first time. Allure of the Seas either just went to or will be going to dd early for a pod failure. Its entirely possible that the storm "hastened" the failure.

Thanks so much for the additional info. :cutie:

I understand about the USCG keeping an eye on things on normal days. That's def a good thing!

Yep, without having looked at the exact course of the weather or anything just a general understanding how it works, I was thinking there really was nowhere to go to avoid the storm entirely. They just happened to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Can't keep a ship near a rock when a storm comes along or it will be in pieces.

People buy into the hype they see on tv. I can't say it enough: stop and think. News outlets are constantly in competition. Spinning stories to sell is what they do. Keep that in mind! Don't buy the garbage. Think and seek the truth.

I sailed on Allure when she was having azipod issues in late 2013. Our port time in St. Thomas was reduced because they couldn't sail as fast. Additionally, the ship didn't utilize their stabilizers to reduce drag. We skipped our Nassau day because of rough seas. All the ships in front and behind us didn't go either. No stabilizers on THAT day on that big girl....that was fun. My BiL was pretty sick, tho. Lots of rolling about. They discovered the azipod issue in October. Didn't fix it until January or February (would've been 2014). So, WOW, she's having or recently had another issue. Disney is smart to steer clear of these azipods. They seem like trouble.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter