RCI

KKGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
I have a family member that has a timeshare with a small company in New England. The sales person is pushing for them to move it to a point system with (rather than on a week based plan) for $3,500. The sales pitch being used is that they will have a great variety of locations including Disney. They currently what amounts to approximately 60,000 points. If they were to sell their time share today, there is no value to it (and probably couldn't sell it anyway). How would RCI work with DVC and is it a point for point between RCI and DVC?

In broad brushstrokes, general terms, to exchange into DVC via RCI Points ... one would likely need 68k-85k RCI Points to reserve a 1BR week at SSR.

Add to that limited availability: one does not "book" DVC through RCI as DVC members do. Rather, they wait for DVC to "deposit" something into the RCI inventories (both "Weeks" and "Points" as separate inventory pools) and then it becomes a bit of a free-for-all fight between RCI Members. Most of the successful DVC reservations to go RCI Members willing to commit to an Open Search (like our waitlist) at least a year out.

A bigger question, I would think: How do they use the existing timeshare?
  • Do they visit the resort in New England? Do they see themselves continuing to do so?
  • Do they, already, exchange to other destinations either through RCI (Weeks) or other timeshare exchange affiliations?
  • If already exchanging their week, do they enjoy the process? Do they enjoy the various destinations?
If they use their 'home' resort and enjoy it, I'd keep things "as is." Do NOT upgrade to RCI Points. If they are already exchanging and really enjoy both the process and the destinations ... then I'd suggest they look at other RCI Points avenues to see if there is a less expensive entry point with better returns.

They should take their time. Don't rush a decision and do NOT join RCI Points if DVC is their only "golden nugget" reason for doing so.

Don't buy DVC to trade into RCI. It really should only be used as a last resort for the points about ready to expire. By DVC for DVC and only DVC. It's a pretty expensive time share.

You might even check out TUG, Timeshare Users Group. They are able to give a lot of information on these trading systems.

A bigger question, I would think: How do they use the existing timeshare?
  • Do they visit the resort in New England? Do they see themselves continuing to do so?
  • Do they, already, exchange to other destinations either through RCI (Weeks) or other timeshare exchange affiliations?
  • If already exchanging their week, do they enjoy the process? Do they enjoy the various destinations?
If they use their 'home' resort and enjoy it, I'd keep things "as is." Do NOT upgrade to RCI Points. If they are already exchanging and really enjoy both the process and the destinations ... then I'd suggest they look at other RCI Points avenues to see if there is a less expensive entry point with better returns.

They should take their time. Don't rush a decision and do NOT join RCI Points if DVC is their only "golden nugget" reason for doing so.
Thank you!

Don't buy DVC to trade into RCI. It really should only be used as a last resort for the points about ready to expire. By DVC for DVC and only DVC. It's a pretty expensive time share.

You might even check out TUG, Timeshare Users Group. They are able to give a lot of information on these trading systems.
Thank you very much!

Hi Everyone,
I have a family member that has a timeshare with a small company in New England. The sales person is pushing for them to move it to a point system with (rather than on a week based plan) for $3,500. The sales pitch being used is that they will have a great variety of locations including Disney. They currently what amounts to approximately 60,000 points. If they were to sell their time share today, there is no value to it (and probably couldn't sell it anyway). How would RCI work with DVC and is it a point for point between RCI and DVC?
I agree with the PPs - especially with the suggestion to read the TUG boards (www.tugbbs.com). If they decide they’d like to expand their timeshare exchange horizons, they can probably buy a resale in another system that trades in RCI for much less than $3500.

I agree with the PPs - especially with the suggestion to read the TUG boards (www.tugbbs.com). If they decide they’d like to expand their timeshare exchange horizons, they can probably buy a resale in another system that trades in RCI for much less than $3500.
I will share this very helpful information and recommend TUG. Thank you very much.

I agree... use that $3500 to acquire another timeshare to trade into RCI....

In broad brushstrokes, general terms, to exchange into DVC via RCI Points ... one would likely need 68k-85k RCI Points to reserve a 1BR week at SSR.

Add to that limited availability: one does not "book" DVC through RCI as DVC members do. Rather, they wait for DVC to "deposit" something into the RCI inventories (both "Weeks" and "Points" as separate inventory pools) and then it becomes a bit of a free-for-all fight between RCI Members. Most of the successful DVC reservations to go RCI Members willing to commit to an Open Search (like our waitlist) at least a year out.
This is extremely helpful. I was trying to determine the actual pionts. Thank you for this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter