Random questions with NYC port

pumpkinqueen93

Mouseketeer
Just so I know for whenever I end up going (my scheduled cruise or not).
I'm silver and boyfriend is first time cruiser. Would we get in the line for silver members to check in, odo the lines not matter? (Other than how long you're waiting) If it helps it will be out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal. This is probably a dumb question, but just thought I would ask to make sure.

While I'm here though what is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal like? How's spacing? Were there characters like at Port Canaveral? What's parking like? Is there anything specific to the terminal that you think would be helpful for someone going there for the first time?

Just so I know for whenever I end up going (my scheduled cruise or not).
I'm silver and boyfriend is first time cruiser. Would we get in the line for silver members to check in, odo the lines not matter? (Other than how long you're waiting) If it helps it will be out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal. This is probably a dumb question, but just thought I would ask to make sure.

While I'm here though what is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal like? How's spacing? Were there characters like at Port Canaveral? What's parking like? Is there anything specific to the terminal that you think would be helpful for someone going there for the first time?

Parking was so easy, the parking is on the pier right next to the boat. If it's just the 2 of you then I wouldn't bother dropping off at the curb, I did that with my family, but had to go back out to the main road, loop back again to enter the parking area. They have a large elevator to bring you down to the port terminal entrance. By the time I got the car parked, my wife was calling me to tell me to hurry up as they were just finishing the security screening! We went in 2018 and there were a couple of characters and a few Mickey sightings. There is some light food/drinks to buy (might be changed with the Corona nonsense now) but it was very overpriced. I would have waiting but my kids kept complaining they were hungry. We were on the ship in about an hours time after arriving.

. . . what is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal like? How's spacing? Were there characters like at Port Canaveral? What's parking like? Is there anything specific to the terminal that you think would be helpful for someone going there for the first time?

Well, our last cruise (approx 12 months ago :guilty:) was from and back to the MCTerminal and we found it a delightful logistical alternative to flying to MCO and busing to PtCanaveral. We live 45 miles away in NJ along the train line, and I used to commute to NYCity so despite the crowds & expense, I find NYC somewhat manageable to navigate.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/n...o-port-from-philly-area.3775305/post-61204611PMsg me if you have specific questions.

During our only visit, it appeared the Terminal can get a little bit "friendly" with a lot of people who are accustomed to crowding. Compared to Dover and Copenhagen (where we've also boarded), it's not Port Canaveral, but not awful. There may be a character or two, but more likely some contracted terminal workers (who wore Norwegian or Holland American uniforms earlier in the week) with "mouse gloves."

I haven't parked there, and probably would not. Like anything in NYC, it can be expensive and can fill up if you don't get there early depending on if other cruises left a day or two earlier. That's something you could probably check on other websites.

Depending on where you're driving from, there are some "deals" with some NJ hotels that will let you park your car there and run you back & forth to the port. Again, check other threads as this has been done by others and ymmv.

Ill post some interior photos of the terminal. Parking is actually on the rooftop of the terminal but it is expensive at $40 per day. Here is a link to the port webpage.

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/
If you look at the website pic you can see the cars parked on the terminal roof.

Yes, Goofy and Mickey and sometimes Minnie show up in the terminal and there are photo ops.

They will have signs and cast members directing you where to line up to check in. The terminal is very deep and you walk quite a ways to the back of the terminal where DCL is set up for check in. Sorry the pics are not in any particular order. Some are the interior and some exterior.

MJ

And here are some pics when you sail down the Hudson River.....you will pass the Empire State Bulding, the new Freedom Tower, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty and go under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. It is beautiful and so many people stay out on deck to see the sights when we leave.

MJ

These are terrific pictures!
And yes, one of the best reasons to cruise out of NYC is the 5pm departure . . . and the "golden hour" sunset as one proceeds south down to & through the (Verrazzano) Narrows gives one spectacular views back into Manhattan, Governor's Island, Brooklyn.

Hoping to be on the one from NYC => Canada in about one year!

These are terrific pictures!
And yes, one of the best reasons to cruise out of NYC is the 5pm departure . . . and the "golden hour" sunset as one proceeds south down to & through the (Verrazzano) Narrows gives one spectacular views back into Manhattan, Governor's Island, Brooklyn.

Hoping to be on the one from NYC => Canada in about one year!

We are booked on the October 24 Magic out of NYC next year!!

MJ

NYC where the magic dock has a huge terminal. The workers have their act together. They work for the other cruise lines also of course. Probably just like other places or the people wouldn’t hardly get in hours. One day they might be working for carnival the next Disney the day after that Norwegian.

It's not pretty. :) Last Nov. we had 1 character come out. Parking is very easy as mentioned. If you want to park for the week and want something less expensive Google NYC discount parking. There are a few garages within walking distance where you can get a decent weekly rate. If you're taking a taxi, car line can get really long as it gets later in the morning. Not my favorite cruise terminal but sailing out of NYC is incomparable!!

We had no problems last year and thought it was easier than Port Canaveral. We were also there during the week of the UN meeting so traffic was crazy but even with all that it was very smooth and quick. We did not park at the pier, rather stayed 3 days in Manhattan before cruise and did the sights. (See trip report in signature below, turn phone sideways if can’t see.) Another thing you might consider is parking in New Jersey and taking the Weehawken ferry over which is a lovely scenic ride and comes out very close to where the ship leaves.

Getting a taxi when disembarking can be problematic.
1st., it is late in "rush hour" so for taxi's -- so the cruise passenger is competing with a lot of daily morning demand for those same automobiles.
2nd, taxi's shy away from low-fare pick-up's if they can . . . and a large portion of fares coming off the cruise ship may only be going to midtown/TimeSq hotels, or the PennSta or PortAuthorty transportation terminals which are too close to make any money.
3rd taking passengers to the airports (JFK, LaGuardia or EWR) is a mixed-bag as the fares are regulated, so even if there is traffic and delays (like in the morning for example), they don't get the extra bump . . . and the queues for getting fares back from the airports can be awful.

Either way, everything will change hopefully next year if/when we have a vaccine and NYC will be NYC again (we hope!).

We are booked on the October 24 Magic out of NYC next year!!

MJ

We are too! . . . but likelihood for the cruise is not looking great. CDC, Canada and the different Cruise lines are not together . . . and DW and I are not excited about likely restrictions on port visitation.

Shows?
Cabana's?
Atrium "parties" with character meets?

Btw, we are all vaccinated, and I would guess most-to-be-cruisers will be, but that may not be enough . . . ?

We are too! . . . but likelihood for the cruise is not looking great. CDC, Canada and the different Cruise lines are not together . . . and DW and I are not excited about likely restrictions on port visitation.

Shows?
Cabana's?
Atrium "parties" with character meets?

Btw, we are all vaccinated, and I would guess most-to-be-cruisers will be, but that may not be enough . . . ?

I know....we get our second shot this week but that cruise is not looking promising unless they drop Canada. I'll be sad if its cancelled but I'll just move the funds to our next cruise. I also hope there are less to no restrictions by then. Fingers crossed!! We just love when the Magic is in town!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter