rain ponchos at walmart or dollar store?

WendyLovesPeter

I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!
I want to stock up before our trip. do you know if ponchos are available at either walmart or dollar store? and are they strong enough to last a couple days at WDW?

Dollar Tree had 2 packs for $1. They looked like a wear one time then in the trash poncho. I actually think I might get some for Sept so I don't have to lug around my heavier ones that I bring in the colder months.

Dollar store sells them 2 for $1. They are definitely disposable but for that price we just buy a couple and keep them in the bottom of the bag until we need them. Then when finished we either throw them under the stroller to use as stroller covers later or we pitch them. Nothing heavy or bulky to carry around.

We do the same thing as the PPs.
Two for a buck. Super light weight. Use it and chuck it.

I prefer the wal-mart ones (they also have them on Amazon!) because the package is smaller. Since I'm the one carrying the *%^# things, I buy the ones I like. Last I checked, the were $.89/each.

We got some at our local grocery store before our trip, but they were so darned clingy that we wound up not using them and buying the Disney umbrellas. More expensive but WAY more comfortable to walk around with, and now we all have a Mickey umbrella for those rainy days at home!

I found some in the jewerly dept at our walmart that were about $4.08 each. They had a carry case and they were nice ponchos!

Dollar Tree has them 2 for $1 BUT if you are a larger person like my husband and I, they will not help you! I'm 5'8" size 18 and DH is 6' and average weight and the Dollar Tree ponchos were so clingy and SHORT! They were great for my average weight 5' tall mother, who brought them for all of us, but they only went just below our butts, didn't cover the length of our arms and were extra clingy. My DH and I still sing a song about the "Tiny Ponchos" to the tune of "Tiny Dancer" over a year later! :rolleyes:

However, my aunt bought different ponchos from there and they were fine. Her's were clear and BLUE and the tiny ones were clear and YELLOW.

:scared1: {{BEWARE THE YELLOW PONCHOS!!!}} :scared1:

Dollar Tree has them 2 for $1 BUT if you are a larger person like my husband and I, they will not help you! I'm 5'8" size 18 and DH is 6' and average weight and the Dollar Tree ponchos were so clingy and SHORT! They were great for my average weight 5' tall mother, who brought them for all of us, but they only went just below our butts, didn't cover the length of our arms and were extra clingy. My DH and I still sing a song about the "Tiny Ponchos" to the tune of "Tiny Dancer" over a year later! :rolleyes:

However, my aunt bought different ponchos from there and they were fine. Her's were clear and BLUE and the tiny ones were clear and YELLOW.

:scared1: {{BEWARE THE YELLOW PONCHOS!!!}} :scared1:

skip the dollar tree ones. They are cheap, but man.. its a throwaway item.

The things are basically like a trashbag over your body with a super huge "cap" for your head. If you are larger or want some mobility with your legs/arms, its not for you. the cap is too big and keeps coming off.

Super huge for a child. my 5yo we used once and the head opening came to her mid chest. she had to hold the bottom of the opening so water wouldn't get in.

I bought a rain coat/poncho in pink for her at walmart for a few $. hopefully it lasts.

Where is Walmart do you get the cheap ponchos? I looked in the camping section and they just had ones that were almost $5.00. Not sure where else in the store to look.

Thanks!

In our walmart there are two different areas.. both in the camping area.

First is along a wall where all the rain ponchos and rain pants are.

Those aren't cheap.

Then in an aisle of camping equipment, where the shower bladders are, etc.. are some cheaper ones..

I know a regular adult poncho is $2.88.

Just a warning.... I've gotten them at the Dollar store and the dye bled onto my clothing. Kinda left a powdery residue. Maybe they were old or whatever, but ruined my outfit for the day at F&WF and dinner at Le Chef de France. This was just happened once but I wouldn't wear/use them over nice clothes.

My only suggestion, is to not just throw them away when done, but pass them on to someone else. We went in the off season, so the weather was rather chilly, and when we were done riding Kali River Rapids, we simply offered ours to people who were walking up to the ride. Each time, the ponchos were gratefully accepted. I even went so far as to tell the new owners to try to make sure that they passed them on too.

skip the dollar tree ones. They are cheap, but man.. its a throwaway item.

The things are basically like a trashbag over your body with a super huge "cap" for your head. If you are larger or want some mobility with your legs/arms, its not for you. the cap is too big and keeps coming off.

Super huge for a child. my 5yo we used once and the head opening came to her mid chest. she had to hold the bottom of the opening so water wouldn't get in.

I bought a rain coat/poncho in pink for her at walmart for a few $. hopefully it lasts.

This is true, but that's why I like them. In the summer, I will throw them in my bag if it's not supposed to rain, other than the mid-afternoon downpour. If it's a rainy day, we bring the Disney ones, which are actually fairly good quality. I like the cheapy ones for a one time use.

They are definitely disposable after 1 use. I have everyone stick on in their pocket.....less for DH to carry around.

We have so many of the Dollar Store ones!!! I just found a couple packs from last trip we never needed to use! Yes, they are crap quality, but are disposable after one use. Good for those flash showers that FL gets for about 20 min. in the afternoon.

The dispoasable ones that are nice are the Coleman ones in the Target camping section. Not sure if Wal-Mart has them. We've been able to get them from $.89-$1.50. They come in red and green at our Target. Might stick one of each of those in our suitcases as well if there is an all-day type of rain expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter