Radisson Worldgate -- BEWARE!

Stayed here 6/8 through 6/14/08- We got it on price line for $50 per night and I didnt expect much- BUT we were so pleasantly surprised. OUr room was spotless and the sleep number bed was very comfortable- We had a corner room so we had two exposures- the staff was great- very personable and accomodating- I would stay here again

I have stayed here twice over the last 3 years. We're only a couple of hours from WDW so we visit during the weekend a lot, and at the last minute. The first time was a couple of years ago for one night. I got a really good deal from Priceline so we gave it a shot. I wasn't very happy with our stay and said I'd never stay there again.

Until my father surprised me with a weekend to WDW. He's an avid golfer and one of the tournaments he was in was based at this resort, so they had discounted rooms. I wasn't thrilled, but figured I could make do for 2 nights since it was free to me. I invited my best friend to join me and we set off for the weekend. I wasn't expecting much after my last trip, but I was plesently surprised this time. Our room was well cleaned and didn't smell. The bathroom was very taken care of and the beds were very comfortable- we did have Sleep Number beds.

We ordered room service on our first night because we got there late and were both exhausted. Our dinner arrived later then we where told, so we where given a free dessert. The food was very good, and would have been terrific if it had come on time.

It seems that this resort is very hit or miss, mostly being a miss.

As promised, here is my review of this resort:

Radisson Worldgate Resort

We stayed overnight on Saturday, May 3 and we checked into our Priceline room at the Radisson Worldgate Resort. The location is great -- very close to Disney except you have to pull out onto 192 to go to Disney and there is no light at the intersection, so depending on traffic, you may have a long wait.

You left the hotel, turned left and got onto 192. If you had turned right instead, followed the road around to the left and made a right it would have brought you straight into WDW with no traffic, right near the entrance to Animal Kingdom Lodge. No wait at all.

As for the hotel itself, we stayed there for 2 nights in February 2008 and thought it was fine. We paid $45/night through Priceline. The bed was comfy (not a Sleep Number, btw) we could see the Tree Of Life from our room, the shower was hot and the ice was cold. They also had a ticket desk where they tried to talk you into buying an onsite timeshare, we got free breakfast and tickets to Pirate's Adventure Dinner Theatre just for telling them no thanks (we go to Orlando twice a year and free tickets through timeshares are a part of our vacation ritual). Nice pool and a pingpong table we used for a few games. The ease of getting into WDW was a big plus and you could walk to some nice restaurants out on 192. Well worth the price. No, it can't compete with the Grand Floridian but we weren't expecting it to and it was like a palace compared to the Grosvenor in Downtown Disney. That's a place we were expecting to be a palace and it was El Dumpo. Obviously a lot of others agreed, it went out of business and now I think they call it the Regal Sun.

Sadly, I have never heard anything "good" about this location.
We almost stayed here once, but the reviews on tripadvisor kept us away. :coffee:

Looks like it's been downgraded to a 2 1/2 star.

Looks like it's been downgraded to a 2 1/2 star.

That sounds more appropriate.

On my list, it's a "if you need a place to stay for one night and can get it for less than $50", we'd consider...guess that means more like a 1.5 or 2 star...:rotfl:

Hi all,

New to the forums here. :) I'm planning a trip to Orlando with my fiancee in May and we were eyeing Radisson Worldgate because it's one of the few hotels that actually provide shuttle services to WDW and Universal. We're on a rather tight budget so free shuttle is definitely a plus. However, the horror stories are starting to scare me... a ratty hotel room I think we can handle, but I read a review on TripAdvisor which criticized the shuttle service. Is the shuttle service going to be worth toughing it out there?

Thanks in advance! :hug:

Hi all,

New to the forums here. :) I'm planning a trip to Orlando with my fiancee in May and we were eyeing Radisson Worldgate because it's one of the few hotels that actually provide shuttle services to WDW and Universal. We're on a rather tight budget so free shuttle is definitely a plus. However, the horror stories are starting to scare me... a ratty hotel room I think we can handle, but I read a review on TripAdvisor which criticized the shuttle service. Is the shuttle service going to be worth toughing it out there?

Thanks in advance! :hug:

Sorry, can't help with the shuttle service since we didn't use it. But as for the hotel, if you are on a tight budget and got a great rate, then this hotel may be just fine.

Just remember with any shuttle service (WDW or others), that shuttle does not mean taxi...you'll have to wait, you may have additional stops along the way, timing may not work out for you to get where/when you want to go, so give yourself plenty of time to get to the parks, restaurants, etc.

Enjoy your trip and please write back on here how your visit turned out.

I'm curious if anyone has stayed at this resort recently. The web-site claims "$23 million" spent on renovations and "first class 4 star resort." I wonder if things have changed?

I'm curious if anyone has stayed at this resort recently. The web-site claims "$23 million" spent on renovations and "first class 4 star resort." I wonder if things have changed?

I hope they have improved their facility. It has great potential and it definitely is an 'OK' hotel, esp if you are only there a day or two or not really in your room and you get a terrific rate.

Otherwise, I'd rather stay on-site and live the magic longer.

I agree- 1 or 2 nights in this hotel should be fine- when we stayed - 2 years ago- the rooms were comfortable and clean- what I didnt like was the surrounding area- the area on 192 is older and not so nice- I would rather stay on property- another plus is that the hotel is very close to the Animal Kingdom entrance and the AKL (about 5 min in the car)- also- it is close to the town center in Celebration which has some nice restaurants- although you do need a car to get to these places from this hotel since it is not on property.

Thanks for the feedback. We always stay on Disney property (DVC or Deluxe resorts) and love it! Unfortunately, our trip this year needs to be done on a tighter budget, so I've been looking for alternatives and considering an off-site hotel as a way to save on expenses. I know nothing will live up to our favorites- BCV and Wilderness Lodge... but, we'll still be in Florida and in Disney parks!

I know what you mean about a budget- We are DVC members and love the BWV and OKW- but when we stayed at the Radisson- we didnt want to use points that week- again- the hotel should be fine for a few nights- the people there were very pleasant- just dont go sightseeing down 192 West

I agree- 1 or 2 nights
random.gif
in this hotel should be fine- when we stayed - 2 years ago- the rooms were comfortable and clean- what I didnt like was the surrounding area- the area on 192 is older and not so nice- I would rather stay on property- another plus is that the hotel is very close to the Animal Kingdom entrance and the AKL (about 5 min in the car)- also- it is close to the town center in Celebration which has some nice restaurants- although you do need a car to get to these places from this hotel since it is not on property.

Yea, that's my experience 2. We stayed there about 18 months ago, and it was a good, clean, comfortable room for about 2 nights. Nothing spectacular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter