Quick question about adding on smaller contracts from other resorts

bananapepper

Mouseketeer
So say I had 250 points at AK and then wanted 50 more points and bought some from CC... does that mean I could use the 11-month window advantage for CC but still use my points from AK to "pay" for it even though they are AK points?

Is my question making sense?

So say I had 250 points at AK and then wanted 50 more points and bought some from CC... does that mean I could use the 11-month window advantage for CC but still use my points from AK to "pay" for it even though they are AK points?

Is my question making sense?
No, you can only use the points at their home resort at 11 months.

No, you can only use the points at their home resort at 11 months.

What if you want to use banked points from AK? Does that work?

If not, I don't really understand the appeal of buying such small contracts from other resorts and why so many people seem to do it? What am I missing?

If not, I don't really understand the appeal of buying such small contracts from other resorts and why so many people seem to do it? What am I missing?
You could stay at the resort with the 50 points every other year or every three years. If Every 3 years you'd have 150 points to use there. That's a decent stay in a 1 bedroom.

some people just want to go away for a weekend at a different resort.

While DVC does allow you to switch at 7 months, that does not always mean you can. What would you do if you loved another resort but could never switch into it? A small contract could enable you to do just that every other year or so.

If you could do what you are asking about, why would anyone buy a big contract? Just buy 25 Riviera points, then 200 SSR points resale and book DRR at 11 months with 225 points????? No one would be buying 225 points at Riviera from Disney...

I don't really understand the appeal of buying such small contracts from other resorts and why so many people seem to do it? What am I missing?

Some people like to split stay over a long trip, so they can stay at 2 different properties.

Just buy 25 Riviera points
Point is understood, but just an FYI that CC and RIV are the first two properties to have 50 point minimums.

The original intent of an add on contract was to add to your existing property, hence 25. Today people desire variety and want to own multiple, so DVC has to raise the minimum barrier for entry for new resorts.

As already stated, you cannot use any other resort points for home resort priority booking (11-month)... banked, borrowed, otherwise. So, your AKV points can give you priority booking at only AKV, and a new CC contract would only get you priority booking at CC with those CC points. You can, however, combine those points (if in the same UY, on the same membership) at the 7-month booking window to book at any property (assuming no points are restricted points).

The draw of small contracts is for many reasons: first, DVC used to only require a small contract to give membership extras privileges- so, you could buy a large chunk of points via resale & become blue-card members with just a small add-on. Second, as jerseyduke suggested, it gives you priority booking at a tough to book resort (like VGF). Third, if it’s what you can afford and you want to “test the waters” to see if DVC (or a specific resort) is a good fit, it’s a great way to wade in slowly. Other people have preferred multiple smaller contracts so that they can sell more easily if needing cash, but don’t want to sell it all... plus it’s just always easier to find buyers for small contracts than large ones.

Those are just a few common reasons for smaller-point contracts... I’m sure there are more!

The original intent of an add on contract was to add to your existing property, hence 25. Today people desire variety and want to own multiple, so DVC has to raise the minimum barrier for entry for new resorts.
Prior to CCV when a new resort opened the minimum for existing members was 25 points. Day 1 of sales starting, how could you be adding on to your existing resort? You don't own at that resort yet, it was the first day of sales.

Disney could have limited it to 25 at a resort at which you already owned points, but they didn't. My guide called me when the poly went on sale and flat out asked me if i would be interested in a small contract, 25 was the minimum. They were trying to get existing members to buy into the new resort at a discounted price, usually about 5$ less per point that it was going to be when it went on sale to the general public. So we will have to agree to disagree on the intent.

Prior to CCV when a new resort opened the minimum for existing members was 25 points. Day 1 of sales starting, how could you be adding on to your existing resort? You don't own at that resort yet, it was the first day of sales.

Disney could have limited it to 25 at a resort at which you already owned points, but they didn't. My guide called me when the poly went on sale and flat out asked me if i would be interested in a small contract, 25 was the minimum. They were trying to get existing members to buy into the new resort at a discounted price, usually about 5$ less per point that it was going to be when it went on sale to the general public. So we will have to agree to disagree on the intent.
I don't disagree with you.

I said "original intent." The 25 point minimum rule for existing members at L14 sans CCV is a policy that needed to evolve with the changing times. I was just a child in the 90s, but I'm going to assume that DVC didn't start calling OKW owners about buying 25 point contracts when BWV opened. The 11 month window was nowhere near important as it now, so OKW owners had no reason to buy just 25 points at BWV, they could easily book it at 7 months. So again, original intent: to add on to your existing property because you need just a few more points.

Today's DVC climate is much different, with more properties and higher prices. The Guide who asked you about the Poly was just spinning an old rule differently in order to generate a sale.

Also, there are lots of things that Disney could have changed, and didn't until recently under new leadership.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter