Quick list of "basic tips" based on our trip last weekend

smiles33

DIS Veteran
We had an incredibly quick 2.5 day trip to DLR this past weekend (flying in Thursday night and flying out Sunday at 2). I did a ton of research here and really appreciated all the tips. I thought I'd share a few thoughts here to help future DLR visitors!

1. Use the Disneyland app! Even if you don't spring for MaxPass (which is worthwhile if you don't have a designated FP runner), you can check out when rides are temporarily closed, when rides have a shorter than usual standby wait time, etc. I personally think MaxPass is worthwhile, especially if you plan to park hop. I got shin splints on one of our last trips as I was the FP runner and going from Splash Mountain to California Screamin' and then back to Space Mountain was a LONG walk. I didn't have a pedometer that trip, but this trip, without running back and forth for any FP, I still averaged about 11 miles per day. We didn't even park-hop as much as usual!

MaxPass is also a good value if you plan to ride the big "E-ticket" rides as the ride photos are included in the cost. Even though we were only in the park 2.5 days (not even 30 hours total!), we have so many hilarious ride photos from GOTG, Incredicoaster, SM, Splash, RSR, etc. We also stopped for a few family photos taken by the Photopass photographers. There aren't that many around these days, but I know I always saw one by the Carsland billboard and on the bridge to Pixar Pier. I didn't see any in DL!

2. Make the most of Mobile Ordering for your food from any DLR place that offers it! I was amazed how long the lines were at the Tiki Room for Dole Floats any time we walked by and at Flo's V8 Diner for breakfast on Sunday. You don't need to plan it 20 minutes in advance, as I kept forgetting about this new service until I showed up and saw the sign "Mobile Order pick-up here." Thus, I ordered our food while standing at the venue. Once I placed the order (and paid for it via credit card), I just clicked on "I'm here now" and then waited 2-3 minutes for them to prepare the food. This effectively helped me "skip" the line of 20+ people. I also really appreciate the tips from DISBoard members about using Starbucks Mobile Ordering app as our order was waiting for us each morning to just grab and go. Once again, skipping the line and saving time was awesome!

3. Wake up early and get into the park as soon are you're able to do so! It's painful getting up early on vacation, but I found it worthwhile as we got so much done. I'm talking about 5 minute waits for Toy Story, Incredicoaster, and Guardians during Early Magic Hour. And before 9 am, those rides only had 30-45 minute standby waits (versus 120 minutes and up later in the day!). If you time your Fastpasses and aren't trying to do the entire park, you can certainly avoid waiting in standby longer than 20 minutes. We never did a standby line that had a longer than 20 minute wait. Instead, we'd go for a food break, nap break, or take photos with a Photopass photographer until our Fastpass window opened. I couldn't believe it when I saw nearly 3 hour standby waits! I don't think any ride is worth that long of a wait.

4. Make sure you're being a "defensive walker" and staying alert for people who stop suddenly or who rush behind you and then clip your ankles with their stroller/wheelchair/feet. I was clipped by a wheelchair when the man pushing it was distracted and staring up at the windows on Main Street. He didn't realize I had stopped because a family in front of me stopped. I limped for a good 20 minutes after that as it really hurt my ankle. I just hated being in the park after lunch and in the evenings as it was SO crowded. I made sure we had fastpasses for the afternoon/evening and would leave the park every day for a nap and time to relax/recharge in our hotel room. During the busiest times, you're dodging strollers, ECVs, and families who stop in the middle of narrow walkways (like in Frontierland and near the Pirates ride!) to chat/consult a map. When a family of 7 stops while in a narrow pathway, almost everyone behind them has to stop, too. Please move to the side if you need to stop and consult a map or have a lengthy conversation! Before 10 am, you could actually walk without being worried about a stroller or wheelchair clipping your ankles. It's even worse after Fantasmic/WOC/fireworks/parades.

5. We stayed at GCH and had EMH 3 days. I saw a LONG line in the GCH to DCA entrance so we walked around through Downtown Disney to the main esplanade, which has far more turnstiles. I didn't time it exactly, but I know the GCH entrance line is very slow as they have to go through security (which only had 2 cast members) and then the ticket turnstiles (which I think may have had 3 CM). It was fine when we used it outside of EMH. I was thrilled when we were able to get back to our room after WOC in less than 10 minutes!

6. I saw several Splash Mountain riders with disposable ponchos. That makes sense if you plan to stay in the park all day. We ended up timing our Splash Fastpasses for right after lunch so that we could immediately return to GCH to shower, change into dry clothing, and relax during the "busy" period in the park.

7. If you can, time for your FP to enjoy certain rides at night. I love seeing Carsland at night and stopped using FP for daytime RSR rides. Instead, I kept an eye on the app and would grab a FP after sunset.

8. If you're on a budget, pack some snacks to bring in with you. We love snacking on certain Disney treats (e.g., churros and Dole Whip Floats) so I still indulge a bit. Yet for times when you're just a little hungry, nonperishable snacks will help you save money. Also, bottled water is ridiculously expensive ($4.25 per bottle!) so bring a reuseable bottle and fill it up yourself with free ice water!

9. Pre-buy some Disney souvenirs as the stuff in the parks is very expensive. One pair of Minnie ears costs nearly $30! DH bought a 3 pack of licensed Disney ears off Amazon for $25.

10. Stop and take breaks regularly. There is often pressure to make the most of this very expensive trip. I know I felt it. Yet, just sitting outside GOTG and listening to the good music (instead of Disney music ,which I normally like but not after we heard it the entire time we were in the rest of the park), was relaxing and made us a bit more cheerful. When we didn't have a FP to use and didn't want to wait for 90-120 minutes on our favorite rides, we would take a Dole Whip Float or Churro break.

Hope these tips help some folks. Have a GREAT time!

Last edited:
PS If you have the budget to splurge:

- I loved GCH (compared to our stays at DLH, HoJo's Kids' Suite, and BWPPI). The location cannot be beat and I thought the room was spacious enough. DLH may have bigger rooms, but I'd much rather stay at GCH again on any future trips. I can't tell you what a relief it was at the end of a long night to walk a few minutes and end up in our hotel room (versus walking out to HoJo or even BWPPI). We also had a quick dinner at Napa Rose at the bar while DDs ate from Whitewater Snacks in the room. Enjoying some great artisan cocktails is a great way to relax! Joe the bartender is truly a talented "mixologist" as the cocktails were so well balance.

- I thought the Blue Bayou package for Fantasmic was awesome. The food was good but the best part is the preferred seating. I loved sitting during the show, the cushions they provided were decent, and we showed up just 30 minutes before the show and were only behind one row of people. We felt like we had to room to stretch our legs out in front of us while seated, as opposed to the people packed in like sardines in the standing room only areas. We also did the Wine Country Trattoria dining package for World of Color but I didn't like standing for so long after a very long day. Plus, several CM didn't know what they were saying/doing re: seating so we got moved twice. Another family was moved three times and the dad was VERY annoyed and yelled at the last CM who moved his family again. I think I'd splurge on the dessert package next time so we can sit!

- Getting out of the park for a real "sit-down" meal was also nice. We had delicious lunches at Catal and at Naples. They're pricey, but it felt less crowded than trying to get food inside the parks.

Last edited:
Those are great tips for everyone. Even experienced DL park goers. Thanks for putting those together for us. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Yes! Great tips! Thank you for putting them together. I really enjoyed reading them. They are pretty helpful... I’ll definitely try out your mobile ordering tactic!

Thanks, wdwfan22! We had a wonderful time and I'm SO GRATEFUL to other DISBoard members who shared their insight. I feel like doing a little research beforehand makes the trip so much smoother and more enjoyable. I also loved the tips for Buzz (I can't remember the user's name). For the first time, I actually broke into the mid-6 digits (I normally score under 60,000 points!). It's still really hard but I focused on trying to get the diamond targets!

We were here the same dates and echo these tips! We got so much done!
Mobile ordering is the best! I ordered everything and then sent the sturdy teen to pick up:)

. I got shin splints on one of our last trips as I was the FP runner and going from Splash Mountain to California Screamin' and then back to Space Mountain was a LONG walk. I didn't have a pedometer that trip, but this trip, without running back and forth for any FP, I still averaged about 11 miles per day. We didn't even park-hop as much as usual!

!

So shines a tiny gem in a weary world.....yes, you need to exercise and prepare your shoes weeks before visiting Disneyland.....though it is usually the unnatural stride..of stopping and going, twisting and avoiding that lays the foundation for the shin splints.....not necessarily the running.

The medical infor is not my writing but a highly edited resource. The number one problem I have with my guests at Disneyland is the unpreparedness for the walking.....even though I have told them weeks before the trip, to walk, climb inclines, jump off an on curbs and break in shoes 4 weeks visiting Disneyland....because a blister can make for a long walk back to lodging.

A sudden increase in intensity or frequency in activity level fatigues muscles too quickly to properly help shock absorption, forcing the tibia to absorb most of the impact. This stress is associated with the onset of shin splints. Muscle imbalance, including weak core muscles, inflexibility and tightness of lower leg muscles, can increase the possibility of shin splints With repetitive stress, the impact forces eccentrically fatigue the and create repeated tibial bending or bowing, contributing to shin splints. The impact is made worse by running uphill, downhill, on uneven terrain, or on hard surfaces. Improper footwear, including worn-out shoes, can also contribute to shin splints.

I also loved the tips for Buzz (I can't remember the user's name). For the first time, I actually broke into the mid-6 digits (I normally score under 60,000 points!). It's still really hard but I focused on trying to get the diamond targets!

I often post Buzz tips and those were likely mine. Sounds like they helped - glad to hear it! I was going to go to the park again today but I’m a little sick and thought better of it. Sunday, however, is still in my sights.

Even as a Disneyland veteran, I found some of your tips useful. You planned and executed well!

Make sure you're being a "defensive walker"

At first I was surprised at the number of people stopping in the middle of a path or not watching as they were coming towards me because they were on their phone. I quickly realized that most were using the app and/or MP system. I guess it comes with the territory.

BTW, last Wednesday after Buzz my 8yo commented on how many of the top scores were posted by ROB!

I often post Buzz tips and those were likely mine. Sounds like they helped - glad to hear it! I was going to go to the park again today but I’m a little sick and thought better of it. Sunday, however, is still in my sights.

Even as a Disneyland veteran, I found some of your tips useful. You planned and executed well!

Yes! It was you, WonkaKid! I remember your photo but not your name. Thanks so much for sharing your tips. DH and I were thrilled to use your tips and he actually got into the top 10!

So shines a tiny gem in a weary world.....yes, you need to exercise and prepare your shoes weeks before visiting Disneyland.....though it is usually the unnatural stride..of stopping and going, twisting and avoiding that lays the foundation for the shin splints.....not necessarily the running.

The medical infor is not my writing but a highly edited resource. The number one problem I have with my guests at Disneyland is the unpreparedness for the walking.....even though I have told them weeks before the trip, to walk, climb inclines, jump off an on curbs and break in shoes 4 weeks visiting Disneyland....because a blister can make for a long walk back to lodging.

A sudden increase in intensity or frequency in activity level fatigues muscles too quickly to properly help shock absorption, forcing the tibia to absorb most of the impact. This stress is associated with the onset of shin splints. Muscle imbalance, including weak core muscles, inflexibility and tightness of lower leg muscles, can increase the possibility of shin splints With repetitive stress, the impact forces eccentrically fatigue the and create repeated tibial bending or bowing, contributing to shin splints. The impact is made worse by running uphill, downhill, on uneven terrain, or on hard surfaces. Improper footwear, including worn-out shoes, can also contribute to shin splints.

I don't mean to be dismissive of your advice, but other than making sure you're getting daily exercise, most people don't have the time to train for DLR like it's a marathon. For what it's worth, I already do cardio kickboxing 2x/week, yoga, and walk daily (but not for 10-11 miles/day). I don't think anyone working full-time who is away from home 12+ hours a day has time to walk 11+ miles/day on consecutive days (beyond the weekend--if you're lucky you don't have to work on the weekend). I also always rotate good shoes (that have been broken in but aren't years old) after a few hours each day when at DLR, changing at our lunchtime/afternoon break.

I don't know if I was walking 15-20 miles/day, but I was speed-walking so I could get back to my family and minimize their wait times when I was the FP runner and got shin splints. I also pushed the double stroller back to HoJo each afternoon so the kids could nap (DH was in an ECV on all our trips due to having 3 hip surgeries). Then I'd go BACK to the park to solo ride the E ticket rides. Then I'd walk back to HoJo to pick up the kids/stroller and do our late afternoon/early evening FP rides. Speed-walking 15-20 miles, pushing a heavy double stroller with 2 kids, and park-hopping will cause fatigue no matter what great shoes you're wearing or what decent physical shape you're in with a moderate regular exercise regimen. I never got blisters and I only got shin splints on one trip.

Biggest tip I can give for FP that isn't Maxpass is to plan your FP around the lands you are visiting, grab FP, explore related lands, grab FP for next ride and then go on big ride, repeat. I don't understand the massive park swapping fass pass efforts. I had a good laugh at the stroller, scooter comments. Sometimes I think shin guards are the way to go lol.

Biggest tip I can give for FP that isn't Maxpass is to plan your FP around the lands you are visiting, grab FP, explore related lands, grab FP for next ride and then go on big ride, repeat. I don't understand the massive park swapping fass pass efforts. I had a good laugh at the stroller, scooter comments. Sometimes I think shin guards are the way to go lol.
LOL! Yes, your advice about remaining in the same area is the most efficient, but when you have 9 and 12 year olds who love Space Mtn, GOTG, Splash, and IncrediCoaster (and you only have 2.5 days), you do a LOT of park hopping! I was proud of myself for convincing them to just stay at GOTG and ride it again (rather than walk back to Incredicoaster) on our first EMH morning. But then I immediately regretted it as riding GOTG twice in a row made me feel more nauseated than expected (and this was on a empty stomach as I knew better than to eat breakfast before GOTG and Incredicoaster!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter