Questions for the health conscious

There are so many healthy options at both Table Service and Counter Service locations.

The important thing to remember is that you are so active and you are walking all day! You need to fuel your body up more than you normally would just to maintain a good energy level. I think it's imporant not to go over the top and eat all greasy foods, but at the same time - you need to eat. A personal Pizza may be better for you than a salad. . . it will keep your belly full and give you more energy that you will need.

Although it's very easy to overeat at Disney, they certainly do offer plenty of healthy options. Fresh fruit is quite plentiful (and delicious) at both the parks & resorts. I often opted for a turkey wrap instead of the basic burger & fries at CS places, as well as yummy salads. Although I do tend to go a little nuts with my eating at Disney, it definately is possible to eat healthy!

We tend to go off our healthy food kick when at WDW but the one thing I will not give up is downing nothing but water all the time with an occasional ice tea at dinner. And fruit, lots and lots of fruit.

DH and I also share all snacks and most CS meals...helps cut down on over eating.

Our rule of eating nothing past 7pm still applies too

Don't rule out ordering food from gardengrocer and having it delivered to your room. We stay in a villa, so we have a full kitchen to store it all, but even in a regular hotel room you could stash some healthy breakfast and snack options.

I can tell you this: In my opinion it is difficult to eat "healthfully" at WDW - at least if you're trying to eat food that tastes good. The first year we went, I tried several "healthy" options at the counter service meals, and had lousy results. Much of it was close to inedible. The second time we went, I said, "To heck with it!" and ate what we like to refer as "bar food." Pizza, chicken strips, french fries, you get the picture. And that food tasted good. We really only ate lunch at the parks, though, and ate breakfast and most dinners at the villa, so eating one fried meal a day wasn't too bad.

The table service meals we've had at the more upscale restaurants, of course, have much healthier and tastier options. Good salads, fish, grilled chicken, veggies, etc.

Granted, our "yucky healthy food" encounters were 18 months ago - perhaps they have improved over time. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

We are not as health conscious as we should be but find that the Florida heat tends to inhibit the tendancy to want to overeat. My husband and I gravitate toward fresh fruits and salads, lean meats, and lots of water! We generally share snacks and counter service meals ... and I love the fact that CS does not have to mean junk at WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter