Question

Disneychick75

DIS Veteran
We're scheduled to go to WDW in May with my daughter and her 2 sons. She has a pseudo tumor and a Chiari Malformation. Lines and heat are a problem. Before anyone says anything, this is the only time we can go for at least a year. She just found out that she is facing brain surgery which has a 1 year recuperative period and I really wanted she and her boys to have a nice trip before the surgery.
How do I phrase the request for the return card? Thanks so much.

You/your daughter will need to explain her specific reasons for needing to wait outside the queue as a request for the DAS. We do not allow posting of "scripts" since each individual has different needs.

Have you checked out the first post of the WDW - Disability Access Service Card thread pinned near the top of this forum? This explains DAS; just the first post is pertinent. DAS is need-based rather than diagnosis-based. I recommend you and your daughter should think about what it is that would make a queue challenging for her, maybe make a short list of bullet points. Also be aware that if her needs can be met by using a mobility device, that is likely to be the accommodation offered by Guest Relations.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread may be helpful to your planning as well.

I'm sorry your daughter is facing some challenging medical issues in the coming year. I hope you all have a wonderful vacation!

I know several people can give you advice on how to handle the heat. I think that may be your bigger problem both because of the time of year and because there isn't a lot of shade in WDW (which we discovered the hard way). Cooling towels, mini fans, etc. can help.

We're scheduled to go to WDW in May with my daughter and her 2 sons. She has a pseudo tumor and a Chiari Malformation. Lines and heat are a problem. Before anyone says anything, this is the only time we can go for at least a year. She just found out that she is facing brain surgery which has a 1 year recuperative period and I really wanted she and her boys to have a nice trip before the surgery.
How do I phrase the request for the return card? Thanks so much.

Hey @Disneychick75: You've been around here for a day or two... :upsidedow so you know the Parks. Can you tell us a bit more about how lines are a problem?

Is it because she can't stand for very long? Or does she have some other problem with queues?

If she can't stand (or walk) for very long right now (and obviously the hotter weather in May won't help that) then her needs may be best met with a mobility device of some sort to give her a place to sit when needed.

Some folks find that renting a wheelchair gives them a place to sit when needed, and they can hold on to the handles and walk, like a walker as well. Others prefer a Rollator. An ECV is another option; typically around here we recommend renting from an outside vendor (not at the entrance to the parks) because Disney can - and does - often run out of rentals. Additionally, if they are staying onsite, a mobility device might prove helpful because some of the Resorts can be huge.

Even if her needs are not mobility related, a wheelchair or a Rollator may help in line, simply because she could use it to create a "buffer" between her and people in front of her, with her family behind her.

I hope that her surgery is successful, and my prayer for her will be that she heals fully and swiftly.

Just too add to what @mamabunny said you can also get a UV umbrella to black the sun and give her shade along with the other tips to stay cool. There is a lot of walking between lines and in some parks not s lot of shade. Please go to GR and just talk to them about your concerns I find not asking for anything (like not saying I need the DAS) gets you what you really need.

Definitely look into a scooter with an awning/umbrella attachment. (I'm physically healthy and the walking in the heat gets to me every day at WDW - and I only am at the parks about 4 hours. I can't imagine doing that with medical issues. My feet hurt so much by afternoon.)

Thanks everyone for all your help! Ordered some cooling neck thingees from Amazon. Plan to stop and drink lots of water. Will go to GS and ask if they have advice.
MamaBunny, I have been around for a while but just didn't have this particular problem. :) When my daughter asked her neurosurgeon about the trip, she (doc) said be careful of heat because of seizures. Kind of a different world, kwim?

I’m really sorry your daughter is having health problems. I have daily chronic migraines and have major problems with heat. My pain can also spike in minutes if someone is wearing perfume near me or lights are bright. I make sure to wear a hat that keeps my entire face and head shaded. I also spend a LOT of time in the shops just for the a/c. My #1 concern is staying as cool as possible because the heat can leave me lying flat on my back in pain. A great type of ride would be the 3D movies because you’re inside to wait in a room with a/c, then the movie is in a/c. LOts of breaks also help. I’m in the room a lot while my husband and kids do more of the Parks. I do have DAS, but even with that, lots of breaks and lots of a/c are key.

Thanks everyone for all your help! Ordered some cooling neck thingees from Amazon. Plan to stop and drink lots of water. Will go to GS and ask if they have advice.
MamaBunny, I have been around for a while but just didn't have this particular problem. :) When my daughter asked her neurosurgeon about the trip, she (doc) said be careful of heat because of seizures. Kind of a different world, kwim?

Yes I do! It changes how you do things - but overall, WDW is still a great place to vacation with any kind of health problem, simply because they are (in my opinion, and experience) the best at creating a welcoming environment for Guests of all kinds.

I know you already know - but remember that the First Aid stations at each park will be your friends. Any time she is feeling overheated, head to a First Aid station and let them know why she needs to cool off for a bit. They will have quiet, dark cool beds (with lots of ice packs!) and it could be that by simply taking strategic cooling breaks, combined with other strategies, she will do well.

I have this "super-fun" (not!) allergy to the sun, which means that any time of year at WDW is pretty much toxic for me LOL. I have a battered old parasol I got at the China Pavilion in World Showcase that I bring with me on every trip, and I basically wear rash guard shirts and long-length UV protective gloves (also from Amazon) to help stay cool. Both the rash guard shirts and the gloves are "cooling" when you spray them lightly with water. Most importantly, focus on the lightest colors for clothing: white is best, pastels are good too. Old school seersucker (if 100% cotton) can be great too; those little "puckers" create tunnels to move air through the garment and help keep you cool. Avoid long pants and denim if at all possible - they just seem to trap the heat and humidity.

Of course, sheer cotton or linen is great (but can be see-through if soaked on a ride!) the main thing to remember on dressing is air flow.
Sandals are best (especially if she will be sitting in a mobility device) because you can feel 10 degrees color just taking off your shoes on a hot day! If she does sit in a mobility device, remember that upper legs/thighs get much more sun exposure when sitting all day, so white/lighter color pants are even more important. If wearing shorts, don't forget to apply sunscreen to the upper legs as well!

Take along some inexpensive cotton bandanas (you can find them for $1 each at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby) that you can dip in cold water and press on pulse points, or just use to wipe faces and feel a bit cooler. As you probably already know, every QS gives away cups of ice water for free. Small battery operated fans are wonderful - be sure to keep a replacement battery on hand!

A lot of heat-sensitive folks will utilize Park Hoppers, and may do a few hours in the morning at one park, during the heat of the day they retreat to the Resort to nap or play in the pool, then head back to the parks when the sun has started to create longer shadows.

Remember that, ironically, at night things can cool off a lot, so a lightweight wrap might be good to keep on hand after the sun goes down if she is subject to getting chilly. Again, this is especially true if you are sitting on a mobility device; because you aren't moving (walking), you don't create the body heat that an ambulatory Guest does.

If you think about how folks stayed cool during the summer months in the south before there was air conditioning, it might help you strategize!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter