question on handicap bathroom stall etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.

I have read many threads on this topic, both on the DIS boards and other places and was wondering when this opinion would surface.

Poster, you are wrong. The handicapped stall is for anyone to use. Some people take longer than others; sometimes you just have to wait. I hope you are not a woman taking a 109 pound male in the ladies room. That is what companion restrooms are for.

I absolutely agree! The ADA requires equal accommodations, not better. The handicapped stall is not reserved for those only in wheelchairs.

Everyone needs to wait in line for their fair turn.

my daughter learned the hard way about higher handicapped toilets with young boy. he was used to normal sized toilet but the handicapped was too tall for him to stand and reach. something for mothers using for group of kids to remember. she had him take first stall that opened, she did not look at it before sending him in. he was 3 at the time and had to do it by himself. he was upset and wet self as he tried to reach the height of handicapped toilet. even now as an almost 13 year old, he hates to use handicapped stall.

Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms were designed and first put into place to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
Curb cuts and ramps to avoid stairs were also designed and built for the same reasons.

All of those things are also useful/helpful to many people without disabilities - and especially for people traveling with strollers.
Most people would agree that it would be silly to 'reserve' curb cuts and ramps for use only by people with wheelchairs, ECVs and other visible mobility needs.

IMHO, the attitude about Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms should be the same.

This one I tend to disagree. I travel most trips alone with my 30 year old DS. I can not take him into a ladies room and he can not go into a men's room alone. My ONLY option is the companion bathrooms. There are not many of them so when he says he has to go, we are hoofing it to the nearest one. Often times we are waiting for a single person (who probably could have used the handicapped stall) or a Mom with a couple kids. You can usually tell who didn't need it because they become quite embarrassed when they come out and see my son waiting. My point is that we have no options but those handful of the companion bathrooms (they are not family bathrooms, the sign is obvious) through the parks where as every bathroom has handicapped stalls.

I often see where people say they use the handicap stall at Disney for the grab bars. Did you know that each bathroom has one stall that is fully wheelchair accessible and one sometimes 2 stalls that are wider but not wide enough for wheelchair to get in and shut door that have grab bars all around the stall? Those stalls have the doors that are a little bigger then the regular stalls but smaller then the wheelchair stalls and are not marked as being different.

I often see where people say they use the handicap stall at Disney for the grab bars. Did you know that each bathroom has one stall that is fully wheelchair accessible and one sometimes 2 stalls that are wider but not wide enough for wheelchair to get in and shut door that have grab bars all around the stall? Those stalls have the doors that are a little bigger then the regular stalls but smaller then the wheelchair stalls and are not marked as being different.
The MK bathroom by City Hall is one I sometimes use. Maybe it's bc I only go to WDW once a year, and I admit I haven't inspected the place in great detail, but I haven't found a full size HA stall in there. The ones I have found are at the end of a row, about as wide as a regular stall, have rails on the side walls, and stick out about a foot more from back to front. But I can't get my ECV in there and close the door, so I end up going with the door open and my ECV sticking out. At least it's at the end of the row, not the beginning...

This one I tend to disagree. I travel most trips alone with my 30 year old DS. I can not take him into a ladies room and he can not go into a men's room alone. My ONLY option is the companion bathrooms. There are not many of them so when he says he has to go, we are hoofing it to the nearest one. Often times we are waiting for a single person (who probably could have used the handicapped stall) or a Mom with a couple kids. You can usually tell who didn't need it because they become quite embarrassed when they come out and see my son waiting. My point is that we have no options but those handful of the companion bathrooms (they are not family bathrooms, the sign is obvious) through the parks where as every bathroom has handicapped stalls.
Before I wrote the part you quoted, I wrote this
To add to what other posters wrote;
When people hear/read 'family bathrooms' they generally are thinking of restrooms set up for families to use, with changing tables and possibly even small, child size toilets.

That is not what Disney parks have; they have Companion Restrooms, which are set up to meet the guidelines for ADA handicapped accessible bathrooms.
Many of them do not have a changing table. None of them have lower toilets. All of them have raised seat toilets with grab bars.

There are only a few in each park (5-6) and they are the only toilets in the park that some people are able to use.
We generally use them as much as possible because my DD is in a wheelchair, her wheelchair does not fit in some of the handicapped stalls, we need a sink in the stall with us and she has sensory issues that can make being in a busy bathroom difficult.

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out
because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table.

So, if it's busy, with lots of families, we sometimes use only the Companion Restroom in First Aid because we know no one is going to bother us.

The guide maps for guests with disabilities are available from Guest Relations, but also can be found in the park map kiosks with all the other maps. They are labeled for guests with disabilities and have a black band across the top of the map.
So, I definitely have some of the same issues as you.
I do have the possibility of taking DD into the handicapped stalk in the ladies room (but, it's not the best option). If DH is alone with DD, he is in the same position as you - he has to take DD into the Companion Restroom because he can't bring her into the men's room. We try to avoid him having to take her because he has had Security called on him at the mall - the lady who called was not sure what she was more upset about - that he was a man taking a young woman into the restroom or that he was someone using the 'family restroom' without a young child.

WDW used to only list the Companion Restrooms on the park maps for guests with disabilities, but.......
They recently started putting the icons for them on the regular park maps. That gives guests the impression that they are a Family Restrooms, even though they are not.
I wish people would be aware of what options they have and leave the Companion Restrooms for people with less options, but since they are on the maps now, I don't see that happening.

I absolutely agree! The ADA requires equal accommodations, not better. The handicapped stall is not reserved for those only in wheelchairs.

I would say that 'fair turn' sometimes does mean guests who do not need the handicapped stalls letting those who do need them to get ahead in line.

When someone who doesn't need the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, there is a 100% chance that they will be able to use the next stall that is available. It doesn't matter to them whether it is the handicapped stall or another stall because they can use any of them.

When someone who needs the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, it's unlikely they will be able to use the next stall that is available.
How much of a disadvantage they have compared to the other guest depends on how many stalls there are. In a large bathroom with 19 regular stalls and one handicapped stall, they might have 19 stalls open up before the only one they can use becomes available.
So, how fair is that?

I would say that 'fair turn' sometimes does mean guests who do not need the handicapped stalls letting those who do need them to get ahead in line. When someone who doesn't need the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, there is a 100% chance that they will be able to use the next stall that is available. It doesn't matter to them whether it is the handicapped stall or another stall because they can use any of them. When someone who needs the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, it's unlikely they will be able to use the next stall that is available. How much of a disadvantage they have compared to the other guest depends on how many stalls there are. In a large bathroom with 19 regular stalls and one handicapped stall, they might have 19 stalls open up before the only one they can use becomes available. So, how fair is that?

Sue, you took the words out of my mouth :).

Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc.

If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others.

If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again.

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).

Yep, some folks who are fully independent and not disabled are much better served by using either a companion or family bathroom. These facilities provide a better option for dealing with a leg bag than a stall (whether or not it's accessible). I understand that companion or family bathrooms are even more of an asset for those with an ostomy.

Common courtesy folks. ........

Courtesy is the key for us all.

If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again.

I think this is a great idea.

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside......QUOTE]

I use an ECV which i fortunately can park outside restroom and enter with cane. I hadn't realized about the couple of stalls with grab bars that could be identified by the wider doors. That works for me and I would be able leave the w/c accessible ones to those who need them.

Yep, some folks who are fully independent and not disabled are much better served by using either a companion or family bathroom. These facilities provide a better option for dealing with a leg bag than a stall (whether or not it's accessible). I understand that companion or family bathrooms are even more of an asset for those with an ostomy.

I completely agree that the design/containment of companion bath is the best option in this situation and it was intended for their use. For many it is the option they must use but sadly the few of them continue to be tied up by those it was not intended for. Disney provides Companion Bathrooms not Family. I had to take my son to a Family Bathroom yesterday at the movies, even he was well aware of the difference (and he is cognitively disabled) so I don't know how someone doesn't read the sign and go inside and still think it's a family room.

Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc. If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others. If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason). If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again. On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).

I agree.

I had to help my mom who was in a wheelchair and I tried to use some common sense; so, it wouldn't be an urgent need to get into a companion or wheelchair accessible bathroom. We were on a schedule of sorts. For example, we would go to the bathroom before a long wait in a ride line. Sometimes, we needed to do so after the ride, too. Before and/or after a meal was a good time, too. If we were drinking more than regular like with hotter weather then we would make sure to hit the restroom about every two hours. All of these techniques helped us not to have an urgency to go and allowed us to wait in a restroom line easier. If we knew we would be in one spot for a while like waiting to see a parade or fireworks then we made sure we were done with the restroom first. This system worked for us 90% of the time. It does require more visits to the restroom, but it works. For the other 10% of the time read on.

I know some may not agree, but I believe wearing a diaper and/or pad at Disney is a good precaution because of the long waits for a handicap bathroom even if this is not what you do at home. No one gets a devoted bathroom at Disney and you can only expect that at your own home.

I probably shouldn't let my little bathroom secret out but my girls both in wheelchairs and unable to stand or walk use the bathrooms at the restaurants in the parks because they are always empty.

I could write a book on ignorant people in the bathroom. Once my oldest daughter was told to get her lazy a## out of her chair and use a regular stall. When she told the woman she was paralyzed and unable to stand the woman told her that was impossible.

I completely agree that the design/containment of companion bath is the best option in this situation and it was intended for their use. For many it is the option they must use but sadly the few of them continue to be tied up by those it was not intended for. Disney provides Companion Bathrooms not Family. I had to take my son to a Family Bathroom yesterday at the movies, even he was well aware of the difference (and he is cognitively disabled) so I don't know how someone doesn't read the sign and go inside and still think it's a family room.

I wasn't advocating that TABs not use the companion/family places. Reasonable management allows flexibility and ability to wait, if needed. Sometimes travel companions without issues face urgency and use the most immediately available location regardless of the design. When they gotta go . . .

Yeah, you know how we 'disabled' and 'handicapped' folks get so many special privileges. We've really got to start waiting our turn. Did you read the rest of this thread? I'll let you know when things get anywhere near equal for any of us. For most of us (or the parents of "us"), things are really hard and involve quite a struggle and a bunch of pain to accomplish much of anything. This attitude that you have expressed more than once in more than one thread that we're somehow taking things away from the 'regular' folk is, well, repugnant. :duck: I'm sorry to sound so rude in return, but when I hear this sentiment repeatedly, it gets to me after a while. :stir:

Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc. If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others. If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).
Unfortunately, I have seen very little in the way of common courtesy at WDW from other guests. They are few and very special. What I've experienced has been a LOT of what we describe around here as "stupid redneck" behavior, with the 'lazy _itch', 'fat cow', kind of comments (and I'm not all that big). People just hate scooters, and that's all they see. Once I'm in the restroom (I park outside), I look perfectly normal, so the fact that one ankle won't work and one knee barely bends is completely invisible. I use the regular stalls anyway. I guess my point is - a population that will make comments like those above is not one that will care about the lady or young man who needs special bathroom arrangements, regardless if it's as little as a grab bar or as big as the companion restroom.

I'd bet you that if you asked 90% of the families using the companion bathrooms at WDW, they would have NO IDEA what is meant by "Companion" bathroom. They just think it's a funny way to label a family bathroom. I'll bet many don't even know it's a companion bathroom. They just know it's the 'big room' bathroom and that's where their interest and inquiry stopped. They wanted to find a 'big room' bathroom, they found it, they used it, end of story.

I probably shouldn't let my little bathroom secret out but my girls both in wheelchairs and unable to stand or walk use the bathrooms at the restaurants in the parks because they are always empty.

I could write a book on ignorant people in the bathroom. Once my oldest daughter was told to get her lazy a## out of her chair and use a regular stall. When she told the woman she was paralyzed and unable to stand the woman told her that was impossible.
See? :furious: People are incredibly stupid, and jerks. And maybe we should all get together and write a book. I have a book from back when I used to work as a floor nurse that has hilarious stories and little funnies in it about things that happened to the nurse that wrote it and her friends. We could write 'Ignorant Things Able-Bodied People Say and Do to those who Aren't". :lmao:

I wasn't advocating that TABs not use the companion/family places. Reasonable management allows flexibility and ability to wait, if needed. Sometimes travel companions without issues face urgency and use the most immediately available location regardless of the design. When they gotta go . . .
I'm usually good with acronyms, but this one got me. I know I'll feel stupid when you tell me, but what's a TAB? :confused3

I've genuinely never seen this type of behavior from a park goer to someone disabled, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I had heard this comment made towards your daughter that woman would have been on her back. And it takes a lot to get me that ruffled.

I really hope your daughter was able to brush it off and enjoy the rest of her trip and honestly, I commend her for saying something in return versus completely breaking down. That's amazing in and of itself.

Unfortunately, I have seen very little in the way of common courtesy at WDW from other guests. They are few and very special. What I've experienced has been a LOT of what we describe around here as "stupid redneck" behavior, with the 'lazy _itch', 'fat cow', kind of comments (and I'm not all that big). People just hate scooters, and that's all they see. Once I'm in the restroom (I park outside), I look perfectly normal, so the fact that one ankle won't work and one knee barely bends is completely invisible. I use the regular stalls anyway. I guess my point is - a population that will make comments like those above is not one that will care about the lady or young man who needs special bathroom arrangements, regardless if it's as little as a grab bar or as big as the companion restroom.

As I stated before, I've never seen this kind of behavior or heard these kinds of comments. I believe that they do, and it's pretty shocking. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It's completely unacceptable.

I've seen them happen on message boards and things, but not in person. I do genuinely feel that there are more pleasant, good natured, and caring folk in Disney than not though.

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table

It makes me sick that someone harassed you like that. Calling security because they felt they needed that particular bathroom changing table??? And after all of that trouble, no changing table. Jerks.

I don't need an accessible stall, but I won't hesitate to use one if that's what opens up when I'm next in line. I do try my best to be aware of anyone behind me with a mobility device, and if I know there is someone, I'll ask them if they would like to move ahead, but if not, I won't let it sit empty while I wait for a non-accessible stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter