question on handicap bathroom stall etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisann22

Earning My Ears
I have a question. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I will be using a wheelchair around the parks at times, other times my daughter with Down syndrome will be using it. I also have a cane that I use once in a while. Thing is I don't look handicap but my knees and hips are bad with the RA and makes standing, walking, bending very hard. I need to use the bathroom stalls with the bars to ease in getting down and up. If there is a long line at the bathroom and I just need the handicap one, do I just go to the front of the line or stand in front of the handicap stall and wait? How does handicap bathroom etiquette work?

TIA Kris

You wait in line. If you are using your wheelchair and get close to the front someone may tell you to go ahead if the handicap stall opens up. The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open

You wait in line. If you are using your wheelchair and get close to the front someone may tell you to go ahead if the handicap stall opens up. The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open

Another:thumbsup2here. I always used it with my 2 kids because all 3of us wouldn't fit in a typical stall and I didn't want to leave one out by themselves. I just let people go ahead of me when I got to the front of the line until it opened. Another thought is the family bathrooms outside, they have the bars too I believe.

You wait in line . . . The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open

1) Besides, who is to say those waiting do not have a handicap?
2) Not all handicaps are visible.

Everyone pretty much spelled out HA stall etiquette as I have also experienced it. When you enter a theme park, you can get a Park Brochure for the Disabled. It shows which restrooms also have a separate family restroom. The family restroom may help you, with your child, to have space and privacy. I think I remember last time at MK, I had to go to City Hall (inside entrance, to the left) to get the "Disabled" brochure.

1) Besides, who is to say those waiting do not have a handicap?
2) Not all handicaps are visible.

This is also key. I really do not look like I need a handicap stall. I'm 32, in okay shape (not great), and look younger then I am (according to many people). But quite often I need the grab bars to help me up and down due to a knee injury and back problems. I also have a bladder condition that can cause pain and urgency.

I wait in line like everyone else. I also don't expect people to let me go ahead just because of my needs. That is me personally though.

I have a question. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I will be using a wheelchair around the parks at times, other times my daughter with Down syndrome will be using it. I also have a cane that I use once in a while. Thing is I don't look handicap but my knees and hips are bad with the RA and makes standing, walking, bending very hard. I need to use the bathroom stalls with the bars to ease in getting down and up. If there is a long line at the bathroom and I just need the handicap one, do I just go to the front of the line or stand in front of the handicap stall and wait? How does handicap bathroom etiquette work?

TIA Kris

skipping ahead is VERY Bad form. if you are in your Chair, you get in line like everyone else and IF the next stall open is the Handicapped one is and IF the next person in line offers to let you go in front, great, wonderful, Pixie dust. thank them profusely and pay it forward some other way later on.

if you are walking/ with your cane, you stand in line and if the next stall open when it is your turn is not a handicapped one, then you politely offer it to the person behind you, mentioning that you need the grab bars( I do too)

the other option is to use the companion/family restrooms although the wait to get ion them can be just as bad.

you do not get to skip the line just b/c you are handicapped.

Another:thumbsup2here. I always used it with my 2 kids because all 3of us wouldn't fit in a typical stall and I didn't want to leave one out by themselves. I just let people go ahead of me when I got to the front of the line until it opened. Another thought is the family bathrooms outside, they have the bars too I believe.

My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.

My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. .

you do realize that it may NOT be their fault, right? lots of places place the diaper changing station INSIDE the HA stall. or there may not be a nearby companion/family restroom( and like I said the line of strollers to get in there can be just as long if not longer than a 'regular' line.)

as was stated before ANYONE is allowed to use ALL available stalls. to let a Handicapped stall sit empty until a WC user shows up to use it is just making the line that much longer for everyone else, and I would sure as hell rather one of them being used up by a woman with 2 or 3 small children where she can keep an eye on them( and out of trouble) than have her take up 2 or 3 stalls and then take twice as long as she tries to get everyone cleaned up

My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.

People like you? You don't know anything about the poster or how long they spend in a bathroom stall. They have a need for that stall too. Just because it is different from your needs doesn't make them wrong to use it.

I take a long time I need the handicap stall I don't have wheels when I am in line waiting not who "people like you "are but no one has a right to judge anyone you don't know their story

Disney does not have family bathrooms. They have companion bathrooms, which are set up more for people with wheelchairs than they are for families. The toilet is higher up off of the ground, which would make it hard for little ones to use.

Wow, really? My kids are autistic and can't be left alone. We all go in the handicapped stall together. You probably would see us & include us in that "you people." Why should anyone have to apologize to you for using the restroom? :confused3

Disney does not have family bathrooms. They have companion bathrooms, which are set up more for people with wheelchairs than they are for families. The toilet is higher up off of the ground, which would make it hard for little ones to use.

And there are not very many of them

You should not judge because you have no idea what the needs are of the people in the stall. Sometimes perfectly able looking people actually have handicaps you cannot see, and other times it's a non-disabled adult who must go in the big stall because they need to stay with their child who has special needs.

To add to what other posters wrote;
When people hear/read 'family bathrooms' they generally are thinking of restrooms set up for families to use, with changing tables and possibly even small, child size toilets.

That is not what Disney parks have; they have Companion Restrooms, which are set up to meet the guidelines for ADA handicapped accessible bathrooms.
Many of them do not have a changing table. None of them have lower toilets. All of them have raised seat toilets with grab bars.

There are only a few in each park (5-6) and they are the only toilets in the park that some people are able to use.
We generally use them as much as possible because my DD is in a wheelchair, her wheelchair does not fit in some of the handicapped stalls, we need a sink in the stall with us and she has sensory issues that can make being in a busy bathroom difficult.

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table.

So, if it's busy, with lots of families, we sometimes use only the Companion Restroom in First Aid because we know no one is going to bother us.
Everyone pretty much spelled out HA stall etiquette as I have also experienced it. When you enter a theme park, you can get a Park Brochure for the Disabled. It shows which restrooms also have a separate family restroom. The family restroom may help you, with your child, to have space and privacy. I think I remember last time at MK, I had to go to City Hall (inside entrance, to the left) to get the "Disabled" brochure.
The guide maps for guests with disabilities are available from Guest Relations, but also can be found in the park map kiosks with all the other maps. They are labeled for guests with disabilities and have a black band across the top of the map.

Wow, really? My kids are autistic and can't be left alone. We all go in the handicapped stall together. You probably would see us & include us in that "you people." Why should anyone have to apologize to you for using the restroom? :confused3

Totally agree. It's wheelchair ACCESSIBLE, not wheelchair ONLY.

Let's all work on telling small children to hustle it up when they're trying to potty, shall we?! @_@

Back to the OP's question, my mom had paralysis and was in a wheelchair full time. She would wait in line like everyone else did. Many times people could tell that her wheelchair was a permanent fixture and almost always offered her the handicap accessible stall. I think the reason for that is because if 20 people are waiting and there are 9 stalls and one handicap accessible then the line moves pretty quickly for the average person. It doesn't for her because out of the 10 stalls only one will work for her so she sometimes waited longer. But, she did wait in line.

Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms were designed and first put into place to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
Curb cuts and ramps to avoid stairs were also designed and built for the same reasons.

All of those things are also useful/helpful to many people without disabilities - and especially for people traveling with strollers.
Most people would agree that it would be silly to 'reserve' curb cuts and ramps for use only by people with wheelchairs, ECVs and other visible mobility needs.

IMHO, the attitude about Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms should be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter