Question about MK dining discount

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Okay, so this came up last weekend and the explanation I was given doesn't seem right, so I thought I'd ask here.

So, here's the situation. I purchased my family's Dream Keys last August on the day they went on sale. Me, husband, and 2 kids. I purchased them via the app under my account. My husband has his own account so he linked all our tickets in his app as well. Pretty straightforward.

Now, when we go to the parks, and my husband goes, I am always with him. It's either he and I or the whole family. I go solo, but he doesn't, in other words. My kids have the app, but it uses my login credentials.

Last weekend, he took the kids while I had to finish up some things at home and I joined them a few hours later. I had placed a mobile order for the kids from home before they left. My husband said he didn't know what he wanted yet and would order for himself once there.

When he went to place his mobile order, his discount wasn't applied. We discussed it a bit, but ultimately let it go and I said it was probably a glitch or something. He tried to order from Jolly Holiday and the discount didn't come up. He then ultimately ordered from Galactic Grill. No discount. I said we'd ask a Plaid when I got there.

He often uses mobile order, but it's usually for beer at DCA, which obviously never qualifies for a discount. Otherwise, I usually place all the mobile orders, so this situation has never come up.

When we spoke to a plaid about it, she told me "only the primary passholder gets the discount on mobile order." She clarified that "primary passholder" is the person who purchased the pass. In other words, if my husband wanted to get a mobile order discount, he would have had to purchase his own pass via his own account.

Is this correct? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. If you are logged into the app under your own username and that Magic Key is linked to you via your account, and EVERY other ticket also linked to your account is the same kind of pass, why no discount applied? He is able to scan his pass at stores to get that discount applied, and if he were to order in person at a QS and scan the pass, it would apply there too.

I guess I'm just surprised I've never heard this discussed. Surely there are other couples, families out there where one person bought all the passes. Is the answer that my husband ALSO needs to log in using my credentials? Seems like a really odd workaround.

Nope, the plaid is not correct. This is a known problem even before covid. Because we are not local, I used to let our APs lapse and then re-purchase. The last time I bought our APs the same issue came up for my husband. Attempting to mobile order is also how we noticed it. At the time there were a few posts floating around the Dis on this topic as well so I could see it was happening to others. The problem has something to do with how the accounts are linked. The only solution at the time was for the person who is named on the malfunctioning pass (so your husband in this case) to call Disney and have them de-link the pass from the purchaser’s (your) account. I did try it myself first despite reading the comments from others that they would only speak to the named passholder unless a minor since I had more time to sit on the phone for something like this than my husband did, but they refused to fix it for me and said they had to speak to my husband so he eventually called in and got it corrected. When we purchased our magic keys last fall, I had my husband buy his own separately so we wouldn’t have to deal with this problem again.

Interestingly one way you can tell this problem exists is that you can’t remove the pass from your app because it is linked to your account as if it is yours. So I bet you can’t remove your husband’s pass from your app right now. Last November I bought my adult son and his fiancé parkhopper tickets so they could join us at the parks when we visited. They live in the area so they upgraded their tickets to the so Cal magic keys on the last day. That night I could see their new magic keys in my app because I had had the tickets in there. I could delete the fiancé’s magic key from my app but not my son’s. I realized this linking problem still existed. Since DH and I were at the park again the next morning I went to the ticket booth myself and explained the issue to a CM. She at least could understand what I was talking about and I could show her the magic keys in my app. She was willing to de-link the ticket without talking to my son. I just had to provide his e-mail address he had on file with them. So maybe they are more flexible now or maybe because I was there in person and could show them the app and explain the problem, they were willing to correct it for me.

Long story short, it is a fixable known problem and each magic key is eligible for applicable discounts. You go to the park so often, I would suggest just trying a ticket booth at a non-busy time.

We had the same issue. The problem was all tickets were bought and paid for on my account and then “Linked” to my wife’s account. The app chat support was able to separate her pass onto her account. It should be fairly straightforward to get guest services to that that for you guys if you are still there. We didn’t attempt at a refund because it was only a couple bucks.

It's a known issue but not always an issue. I purchased tickets for people who upgraded and it is not possible for me to remove their passes from my account. But to my knowledge, they are able to get discounts via mobile order.

I have heard of this happening and the solution is to either call or get someone in City Hall (or equivalent) to fix it.

I'm a bit worried about de linking it from my account because we use a DAS and I feel like it wouldn't allow him to be selected when we are getting return times if his ticket isn't linked in my account.

I guess we will just deal with it by having me place all the mobile orders, or having him use one of kids phones to do so if I'm not around.

I'm a bit worried about de linking it from my account because we use a DAS and I feel like it wouldn't allow him to be selected when we are getting return times if his ticket isn't linked in my account.

I guess we will just deal with it by having me place all the mobile orders, or having him use one of kids phones to do so if I'm not around.
I’d go to city hall and ask. I still do 90% of the mobile ordering, but it’s nice for her to have the flexibility to get a snack at jolly holiday or something while she is having a quiet moment with our baby and I have our daughter.

You’re just having them break the link which makes him a secondary on your account. Once they have done this, you can add him back to your account in the usual way. You will be able to create parties, order genie+, and presumably do DAS. The only difference will be that as far as the system is concerned his magic key will primary in his own account profile and his mobile orders will get the discounts they should be getting. I had no difficulty adding my husband’s AP back to my account and getting Maxpass, etc in the experience I described.

You’re just having them break the link which makes him a secondary on your account. Once they have done this, you can add him back to your account in the usual way. You will be able to create parties, order genie+, and presumably do DAS. The only difference will be that as far as the system is concerned his magic key will primary in his own account profile and his mobile orders will get the discounts they should be getting. I had no difficulty adding my husband’s AP back to my account and getting Maxpass, etc in the experience I described.
Good to hear. Thank you.

Thanks for this conversation! My husband recently encountered this same problem. He had the discount originally but lost it in a recent app update.

Ooh, maybe that's it! I could have sworn my husband had mobile ordered food items in the past using mobile order. In fact, I specifically remember he did so during F&W fest. Hmm...

He would have noticed if he didn't get his discount in the past too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter