Question about booking a room without a discount?

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
In the past I've never booked the room I wanted until discounts were dropped.

Recently, I've heard of discounts dropping and then people getting them applied to their room.

Do you book in advance and then call to get discounts applied when they are released? Or wait for the discount then book?

I generally wait until a discount is announced. If everyone booked early, Disney would have less need to offer discounts and potentially they'd never come. But I dont wver wait TOO long, I mean, I want a room!! Haha
I usually have a good sense of when to expect discounts announced

I book ahead of discounts at rack rate because I like being able to utilize the 180+length of stay ADR booking perk. I also like knowing I have a room in case discounts don't go my way or happen at all...which has happened multiple times. And if discounts do happen, I usually upgrade vs. rebooking what I have. I guess you could say I'm playing my own version of that incentive game...since it's often the upgraded rooms that tend to get the discounts.

I book ahead of discounts at rack rate because I like being able to utilize the 180+length of stay ADR booking perk. I also like knowing I have a room in case discounts don't go my way or happen at all...which has happened multiple times. And if discounts do happen, I usually upgrade vs. rebooking what I have. I guess you could say I'm playing my own version of that incentive game...since it's often the upgraded rooms that tend to get the discounts.
You can book ADRs and special event reservations at 180 days without a room reservation.

You can book ADRs and special event reservations at 180 days without a room reservation.

I know, but not with the + length of stay perk I noted. You need the pkg or room reservation for that.

Last edited:
we are booked for the 3rd week of April and are pretty much locked in due to 2 DGDs school vacation week. There is a cheer event several of the days we are there. ASSp is sold out. Music and Movies only have preferred rooms left. Movies is my first choice but that rarely gets any discounts. Booked 2 standard rooms at POP. My TA is watching for discounts, fingers crossed, even a small discount would be helpful.
Celebrating my retirement and this is likely to be the last family trip for a long time; looking at cheaper options next vacation.

I booked a package in June for February 2020. When the discounts came out today, I just had them applied to my reservation.
We stay at Caribbean Beach with no intention to upgrade when discounts pop up, so I just get the discount applied to what I reserved.

Having a room already booked does not give you any advantage on getting a discount later. Basically, if you are going to go with or without the discount and you have a specific room you want, then go ahead and book it. If you will ONLY go with the discount, then it makes sense to wait.

I do the exact same thing. It also locks in pricing, not only on the room originally booked but also on tickets. In the past 6 years the only time I've paid rack rate was last year when I took Free Dining 😊

Doug :goofy:

I do the exact same thing. It also locks in pricing, not only on the room originally booked but also on tickets. In the past 6 years the only time I've paid rack rate was last year when I took Free Dining 😊

Doug :goofy:

Very true! If I don't get tickets through Undercover Tourist, I make sure they're on my booking before ticket prices go up. People also noticed Disney messing with rack rates to make the discounts look more attractive than they really are, so even more reason to lock in your room price in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter