Queen Elizabeth funeral and looking forward

It sounds like icky gossip to me.
I think the Wales family love and appreciate the Middletons. Spending quality time with their grandparents is a blessing for grandchildren.
And it is nice that the William and Kate and the kids will be living closer to the Middletons. Everyone wins, the grandchildren, the grandparents and the parents!

in our own little decidedly non-Royal world in the 1990’s we were fortunate to be near to grandparents on both sides of the family. Wonderful time of our lives.

In the end... does it matter what Mrs. Middleton intentions were? In the end William and Kate have a very happy and healthy relationship, three children who get a reasonably normal upbringing (as far as possible) and loving grandparents on both sides. Whether she wanted Kate to snatch the prince or just thought it was the best school, it turned out alright.

In the end... does it matter what Mrs. Middleton intentions were? In the end William and Kate have a very happy and healthy relationship, three children who get a reasonably normal upbringing (as far as possible) and loving grandparents on both sides. Whether she wanted Kate to snatch the prince or just thought it was the best school, it turned out alright.
Exactly. Those children are surrounded by grandparents that love them. It's such a blessing for all generations involved.
I'm sure the parents love and appreciate the grandparents as well. And in the end that's all that matters.

I just think it’s funny that Meghan took a picture in front of Buckingham Palace and allegedly read a book about Diana in her teens and people accuse her of playing the long game to marry into the royal family, social climbing, gold digging, etc. But the idea that Kate may have chosen her university in order to gain access to William has people praising mother’s intuition and their supposedly happy relationship, shrugging off whatever her intentions may have been, and then getting the warm fuzzies over the kids having grandparents. :confused: All, part, or none of these rumors might be true but the double standard in how these two women are perceived is just incredible.

And, uh, there is nothing remotely normal about the privileged fishbowl those kids are being raised in.

I just think it’s funny that Meghan took a picture in front of Buckingham Palace and allegedly read a book about Diana in her teens and people accuse her of playing the long game to marry into the royal family, social climbing, gold digging, etc. But the idea that Kate may have chosen her university in order to gain access to William has people praising mother’s intuition and their supposedly happy relationship, shrugging off whatever her intentions may have been, and then getting the warm fuzzies over the kids having grandparents. :confused: All, part, or none of these rumors might be true but the double standard in how these two women are perceived is just incredible.

And, uh, there is nothing remotely normal about the privileged fishbowl those kids are being raised in.
I think that's more because Meghan has claimed to be caught off guard by what was expected of her once she was married to Harry. I'm not sure I've seen Kate claim anything like that.

Oh, I think they are perceived very differently because there's every indication that they are very different in many ways. One is free to admire either, neither or both, of course.

Normal is a relative term. What's normal for their family and social circle isn't normal for yours. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with how their kids are being raised.

I think that's more because Meghan has claimed to be caught off guard by what was expected of her once she was married to Harry. I'm not sure I've seen Kate claim anything like that.
To be fair, Kate had something like a decade to learn and memorize all the rules and regulations before getting married, right? Plus, she grew up in that culture so the customs would have been more familiar to her to begin with.
Normal is a relative term. What's normal for their family and social circle isn't normal for yours. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with how their kids are being raised.
I disagree. I think very valid arguments could be made about how potentially damaging it is to grow up on a world stage, subjected to intense scrutiny, with some siblings being elevated to heirs while others are relegated to “spares,” your career and entire life’s path chosen for you with no regard to what you want to do with your life and then, depending on where you were unlucky enough to fall in this lottery, being handed an immense responsibility that you never asked to have but are expected to fulfill until the day you die. For anyone not 100% onboard with that prospect, it kind of sounds like a life of torture.

To be fair, Kate had something like a decade to learn and memorize all the rules and regulations before getting married, right? Plus, she grew up in that culture so the customs would have been more familiar to her to begin with.
Kate also had the benefit of a long courtship to get used to what it's like being in the Royal family. Perhaps Harry and Meghan would have benefited from a longer courtship. Entirely their decision of course, but we see how it all played out.

Kate also had the benefit of a long courtship to get used to what it's like being in the Royal family. Perhaps Harry and Meghan would have benefited from a longer courtship. Entirely their decision of course, but we see how it all played out.
Yes, that’s what I was referring to. I thought they were together for about a decade before getting married. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s what I was referring. I thought they were together for about a decade before getting married. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
And what I'm saying is it was a personal choice for Harry and Meghan to marry much more quickly. Harry should have known how overwhelming it would all be. Or at least set up Royal Family boot camp for her or something.

A longer courtship was always an option for the Sussex. It's unfortunate they didn't take advantage of that opportunity. Moving overseas in any situation (royal or not) involves a learning curve.
Edited to add: I just saw your post mom2rtk after I posted. I agree.

And what I'm saying is it was a personal choice for Harry and Meghan to marry much more quickly. Harry should have known how overwhelming it would all be. Or at least set up Royal Family boot camp for her or something.
She was nearly 37 when they married (thanks Google!) so they didn’t have a lot of time to waste if they wanted to have children. Or, maybe Harry just wanted to get out of the royal life as soon as possible.

She was nearly 37 when they married (thanks Google!) so they didn’t have a lot of time to waste if they wanted to have children. Or, maybe Harry just wanted to get out of the royal life as soon as possible.
We all make choices.
Still, two cute children, big house, stepped back relaxing life in Cali, they found the best fit for them I think.

They would have had lots of help if they had trouble having kids. More than I could afford for sure. Still not a good reason to rush.

I'm confused now though. I thought they left because of the way Meghan was treated and the demands placed upon her. Are you saying he wanted to leave before any of that took place?

They would have had lots of help if they had trouble having kids. More than I could afford for sure. Still not a good reason to rush.

I'm confused now though. I thought they left because of the way Meghan was treated and the demands placed upon her. Are you saying he wanted to leave before any of that took place?
Biology doesn’t care how much money you have. Women’s fertility declines sharply at the age Meghan was when she got married and if having biologically related children was important to them (I have no idea if it was) then any doctor’s advice would be the same: Don’t wait. Start yesterday. If they had frozen embryos or donor eggs to fall back on then they’d have more time to work with, but if they were hoping to have two or more children naturally with her eggs then the clock really is ticking by age 37.

I have no idea what goes through his (or any other stranger’s) head, although it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out he often fantasized about leaving that life behind, at least from the time his mother died. None of them seem to particularly want to be there. It’s all about duty and obligation, but I’ve never once heard anyone say “I’m looking forward to taking on that role, I’m excited for the opportunity.” Harry left, then he said whatever he did about Charles and William being trapped in a system they don’t want to be in either. According to a post earlier in the thread, Charles made a comment about how he thought the monarchy would end with him because William wouldn’t want it. They all seem like they’re on a runaway train they don’t know how to get off.

I think Charles and William aren’t really unhappy with their roles. But Harry is, as the “spare”. It does sort of suck if you’re role is less defined (than that of the King or Prince of Wales/future King), especially when there are rumblings about slimming down the monarchy. But it seemed like Harry had a pretty prominent role even as a spare. I think he did come to want to see what life was like outside the royal circle, and being with Meghan gave him that opportunity.

This is what William tried to suggest to Harry, but we know how that turned out! (One of the first things that made Harry upset with William and Kate when talking of a future with Meghan.) Harry had at least two previous relationships where the women saw the writing on the wall and realized it wasn’t for them.

BTW I saw today that H&M are trying to tone down some of the material they’ve done for Netflix now, but may not be able to. Between that and the book, the family may be in for quite the rough ride. I wonder what their thought process was to change their minds?

Biology doesn’t care how much money you have. Women’s fertility declines sharply at the age Meghan was when she got married and if having biologically related children was important to them (I have no idea if it was) then any doctor’s advice would be the same: Don’t wait. Start yesterday. If they had frozen embryos or donor eggs to fall back on then they’d have more time to work with, but if they were hoping to have two or more children naturally with her eggs then the clock really is ticking by age 37.
Oh come on. It's not that black and white. Of course at a certain point there's absolutely nothing science can do and no amount of money that will make a difference. But there's a whole range of services available to those with the cash to dedicate to the process leading up to that point.

Ultimately it's not in anybody's best interest to rush into something like this. And it appears the result bears that out. She appears to have struggled greatly, and perhaps being better prepared could have made those early days easier for them.

Last edited:
Perspectives may vary.
I saw a life well lived, a woman loved and respected by many, blessed with 96 years.
The closure came with the days leading up to and finally the funeral.
And really, that's all that matters to me. Life moves on.
You and I watched the same channel.
Sure do agree with you here. Once they decided to let the cameras in...game over. I can't believe they'd even attempt to put this genie back in the bottle. It almost feels like fake news, it's just so impossible.
I don't think "they decided". Cameras are just a fact of life today; if you watched the funeral on TV, you know that the people by the side of the road were videoing the queen's coffin passing by. It would be very easy to "piece together" the day's events from the cameras of bystanders.
You know, in my earlier years I was squarely a Diana fan but in recent years, I have really come to adore Camilla. I think Diana was handed a rotten hand of cards but she also played them horribly. She and Charles were horribly unsuited for each other and it was never going to work. Yes, of course, Charles cheated and that is not ok. But she was not exactly blameless in the marriage either ...
Yes, I think Diana -- being so very young -- went into the marriage thinking it would be, well, a real marriage. A meeting of equals, to share a family and grow together over the years. And Charles went in thinking Diana would be his "public marriage", and he'd still keep living his previous life behind closed doors -- kinda a business arrangement.

I do think she wanted to marry into the royal family pretty badly, and she might even have agreed to Charles' idea of a business arrangement -- if she'd understood up front. And once she did understand, she was so far down the rabbit hole /so badly hurt that I don't think she could stop being vindictive. It was all so sad.
Those of us a little older are all shrinking. I know I am!

I used to be taller than my DD, now she is a little taller than me! Shocking seeing pictures! ...
Yes, I am the smallest in my family -- a solid 2" shorter than all the other women. When I was a young adult I (literally) looked up to my mother and grandmother. By the time my grandmother died, I was "looking down" to her, and my mother is now eye-to-eye with me. But no humps; we are not a hump family.
William and Kate also had the immense benefit of living in the same country. I can see why Harry and Megan felt pressure to hurry and marry /solidify the relationship simply because the Atlantic Ocean was an obstacle.
They would have had lots of help if they had trouble having kids. More than I could afford for sure. Still not a good reason to rush ...
Consider, though, it's not JUST conceiving /birthing the kiddos. Harry and Megan are both around 40 now, right? So they'll be 60 by the time the kids are done with college. And that opens up fears that one /both might not live to see grandchildren, who probably wouldn't arrive until the couple is 65-70ish.

I can understand the desire to go ahead and "get started".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter