• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Queen Elizabeth funeral and looking forward

Typically it’s normal for threads on dis and most forums to branch off into other discussions. Just because you started the thread doesn’t mean you get to call the shots on the threads direction. That’s been the norm in the past.
I'm not the one arguing with the thread branching off. Seems inevitable by page 58 with the funeral over.

Supposedly the condition that was given to Charles to marry Camilla (yes they have their rules, whether we agree with them or not!) was that she would not become a Queen Consort (she would be Princess Consort). But The Queen warmed up to Camilla over time, she did a great job in her role supporting Charles, and he continually begged his mother to change her mind, so this past year, The Queen finally announced that she could become Queen Consort. William was reportedly “supportive”. Harry didn’t respond right away, and when he finally did, he only talked about his mother Diana and her charity work. Some reports from authors who’ve written about the RF say the brothers were “blindsided” when The Queen put out this announcement during her Jubilee. Both remain loyal to their mother while trying to assimilate to circumstances of the current time, within their roles, if that makes sense.
I believe that when they married, it was Camilla herself that said she would not take the title of Queen consort, but of Princess Consort because she was deferring to the late Diana's status as first wife and more importantly, beloved "queen of hearts" of the realm. There was a lot of ink wasted on the subject at the time. Of course she would become the queen. She's married to the king. But it was an attempt to appease people who saw Charles marrying his mistress as scandalous, as if many commoners haven't done the same thing and been happier for it.

The Queen made the statement to make the point that Camilla has worked hard for the realm, makes Charles happy and has a right to the title upon Elizabeth's death. She wanted the people to know she approved and it was time to move on. Not forget Diana, but to allow those who are still living to have their due. Whether Harry and/or William saw it coming or were told is moot. They, too would have known that she would be queen when their father became king.

She was a great lady. I am sure her family is missing her.
I agree, she was really overall a wonderful woman. I think a lot of people looked up to her too, her reign spanning generations of people. I'm sure there's some really interesting perspective from different points of her reign not just in age but in world events too.

I believe that when they married, it was Camilla herself that said she would not take the title of Queen consort, but of Princess Consort because she was deferring to the late Diana's status as first wife and more importantly, beloved "queen of hearts" of the realm. There was a lot of ink wasted on the subject at the time. Of course she would become the queen. She's married to the king. But it was an attempt to appease people who saw Charles marrying his mistress as scandalous, as if many commoners haven't done the same thing and been happier for it.

The Queen made the statement to make the point that Camilla has worked hard for the realm, makes Charles happy and has a right to the title upon Elizabeth's death. She wanted the people to know she approved and it was time to move on. Not forget Diana, but to allow those who are still living to have their due. Whether Harry and/or William saw it coming or were told is moot. They, too would have known that she would be queen when their father became king.
Camilla did defer taking the title “Princess of Wales” when she married Charles out of respect for Diana, and how much the people loved her, so she took “Duchess of Cornwall” instead.

According to this:

So, why is the Queen Consort title such a big deal? Because she was originally going to be Princess Consort out of respect for Princess Diana. As royal expert Marlene Koenig told Town & Country, “Camilla was not popular or well liked, [although] this has changed a lot since the marriage as Camilla has taken on a lot of patronages and Charles is a lot happier. Still, [there was] a lot of tension and anger among a certain element of the population—so it was decided that Camilla would be styled as the Duchess of Cornwall, even though, of course, she is the Princess of Wales.”

In fact, Charles and Camilla issued even issued a statement around their marriage saying that Camilla planned to “use the title HRH the Princess Consort when the Prince of Wales accedes to the throne,” and then in March 2020, reps for the couple told The Times that “the intention is for the duchess to be known as princess consort when the prince accedes to the throne. This was announced at the time of the marriage and there has been absolutely no change at all.”

Which is why The Queen made this announcement at her Jubilee, essentially giving her ‘permission’ for Camilla to be called Queen Consort:

"When, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes king, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me; and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service," she said in a message marking her Platinum Jubilee.

From the Royal Author who wrote Brothers and Wives: Inside the Private Lives of William, Kate, Harry, and Meghan, on the brothers being blindsided by this:

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebri...pletely-blindsided-with-camilla-announcement/

Take it all with a grain of salt! Harry will probably address this issue in his book!

So egreduious? Well let's say compared to Oprah, the Rev and other disparaging interviews regarding family. All to make a few million $$$? Well as opposed to an inexperienced nobody (ailing father)trying to raise funds to walk his daughter down the aisle at a Royal Wedding. Sorry bt no comparison and EXTREMELY hypocriical to put it mildly.

I get the Oprah interview, not the best idea. But, you lost me on the "inexperienced nobody"!! Really?! Haha! I have read on here that he worked behind the scenes on General Hospital and Married with children, that is HARDLY someone that I would describe as an "inexperienced nobody"!! And sorry, I don't buy that he did the tabloid TV stuff to "raise funds" to walk his daughter down the aisle!

Here's a thought.

Many on here seem to hate Harry and Megan for the Oprah intervied (and I agree, a terrible thing to do!) But, the same people think that the Dad should be completly forgiven for his choices with the tabloid TV. Weird!

I agree with everything you have written.

I also understand why, if Harry doesnt like Camilla, why that would be true. My parents were married over 40 years before my Dads passing at 61. My husband and I have been married for 35 years. Many people, myself included, believe you should get divorced instead of having an affair. Or, if you can't get divorced for some reason, don't have the affair. I was just posting earlier that I think it is VERY understandable that Harry may not like Camilla and maybe never will. I think MANY children who have lived through their parents affairs would share his feelings.

I get the Oprah interview, not the best idea. But, you lost me on the "inexperienced nobody"!! Really?! Haha! I have read on here that he worked behind the scenes on General Hospital and Married with children, that is HARDLY someone that I would describe as an "inexperienced nobody"!! And sorry, I don't buy that he did the tabloid TV stuff to "raise funds" to walk his daughter down the aisle!

Here's a thought.

Many on here seem to hate Harry and Megan for the Oprah intervied (and I agree, a terrible thing to do!) But, the same people think that the Dad should be completly forgiven for his choices with the tabloid TV. Weird!
Not even close to the same scale.

Most people never even saw the Thomas Markel pictures in the Enquirer.

The Oprah interview, otoh, was a global event, watched the world over. And planned out months in advance. They did a LOT of damage to Harry’s family with that interview.

I mentioned earlier that H&M no longer trust her Dad. Well, full circle, the RF no longer trusts H&M.

It’s all quite ironic, really!

Here's a thought.

Why does it need to be either/or? What they both did was wrong.

The biggest issue for me is that after the lies she told in that special, I don't believe a word she says about anything.

Not even close to the same scale.

Most people never even saw the Thomas Markel pictures in the Enquirer.

The Oprah interview, otoh, was a global event, watched the world over. And planned out months in advance. They did a LOT of damage to Harry’s family with that interview.

I mentioned earlier that H&M no longer trust her Dad. Well, full circle, the RF no longer trusts H&M.

It’s all quite ironic, really!
I certainly never stated that it was close to the same scale.

My point is, you give her Dad a free pass for his actions. I don't.

Is the Enquirer still around? I have no idea of any tabloid papers. What I was refering to in my posts was the interviews etc. that I saw on Tabloid TV with her Dad and at least one sibling.

Okay, so is that what all of the hate is about in this thread. "damage to Harry's family"??

As shown by the 24-7 press coverage from the second the Queen fell ill, the royal family is very beloved. VERY!

I think you all are givng Harry and Megan too much power. I don't believe for a minute that the Oprah interview turned away any of the royal fans.

I never felt like I knew enough about the incident to have a strong opinion on it. He didn't do a prime time Oprah special.
Probably because he was never offered the oppurtunity to be interviewed by Oprah.

He certainly took the interviews/opportunties offered to him.

Its kind of surprising that you don't know much about the Dads incident, but you know SO much other family info.

Probably because he was never offered the oppurtunity to be interviewed by Oprah.

He certainly took the interviews/opportunties offered to him.

Its kind of surprising that you don't know much about the Dads incident, but you know SO much other family info.
I never claimed to know much about her family.

It doesnt! That was my point! Megan is hated for it and her Dad is given a pass! At least here on the Dis!

What "hate"? Criticism doesn't = hate. Calm down.

But if you are comparing giving a pass to her Dad and not to Meghan, for me, again its because what they did was very different. Sure, the dad sold some staged photos of himself. Fine. Bad boy. But Meghan sold out *others*, like the entire Royal Family has been thrown under the bus with accusations and innuendos. Again, I'm sure its nothing personal as she previously did the same to both sides of her own family. But when it comes to the dad, the only things I have heard him say in interviews were after he was excommunicated by the Duchess, and mostly about how disappointed he is in her. But at this point she can't expect to have others not speak their piece as well, the world doesn't only belong to Meghan and her POV.

It doesnt! That was my point! Megan is hated for it and her Dad is given a pass! At least here on the Dis!

I certainly never stated that it was close to the same scale.

My point is, you give her Dad a free pass for his actions. I don't.

Is the Enquirer still around? I have no idea of any tabloid papers. What I was refering to in my posts was the interviews etc. that I saw on Tabloid TV with her Dad and at least one sibling.

Okay, so is that what all of the hate is about in this thread. "damage to Harry's family"??

As shown by the 24-7 press coverage from the second the Queen fell ill, the royal family is very beloved. VERY!

I think you all are givng Harry and Megan too much power. I don't believe for a minute that the Oprah interview turned away any of the royal fans.
We must be misunderstanding eachother.

I don’t think I ever gave Dad a free pass. I just think his punishment doesn’t fit his crime.

I don’t mean damage to Harry’s family in the public sense, I mean it within his family. He and his brother were always close. Now they barely speak. The Oprah interview was broadcast during a time when Prince Phillip was sick and dying. The hurt from that interview caused a great deal of pain particularly to Harry’s grandmother, father and brother (as well as many others in their family and country). Yet they still welcome them as part of their family, as we all saw this month.

Unlike with her Dad. He is persona non grata. Why can’t they be as forgiving to him as Harry’s family is to them?

I guess there are different ways to look at it.

BTW the word ‘hate’ has been thrown around here a lot. I don’t hate Harry. I dislike what he’s done, but I empathize with his feelings about his mother, and I hope that he can reconcile with his family at some point. Nor do I hate Meghan. I don’t think she is the person she portrays herself to be and I think she saw Harry as a stepping stone to her own ambitions, but I’m glad that, at least, Harry seems to be happy with her.

I do empathize with Meghan’s Dad. To be a good father all those years, then make one mistake, and that’s the end of the relationship forever. Somehow I think if it were him who was a king, it would be a different story.

At any rate, I find it all an interesting tale. As I said before, I’m not new to it, I’ve been following Harry’s story since he was born.

What "hate"? Criticism doesn't = hate. Calm down.

But if you are comparing giving a pass to her Dad and not to Meghan, for me, again its because what they did was very different. Sure, the dad sold some staged photos of himself. Fine. Bad boy. But Meghan sold out *others*, like the entire Royal Family has been thrown under the bus with accusations and innuendos. Again, I'm sure its nothing personal as she previously did the same to both sides of her own family. But when it comes to the dad, the only things I have heard him say in interviews were after he was excommunicated by the Duchess, and mostly about how disappointed he is in her. But at this point she can't expect to have others not speak their piece as well, the world doesn't only belong to Meghan and her POV.

I'm pretty calm! Haha!! I have no dog in this fight. I know the royal family and of course loved Princess Diana, but other than that, they are hardly on my radar.

Hate, dislike, disappointment whatever. Maybe not you personally, but its been obvious to me and others reading along, that some people on the Dis don't care (is that better?) for Harry and Megan. Not only on this thread, but from lots of others in the last couple of years.

Just a reminder, but when you (in your opinion) say "Megan sold out the entire royal family" Harry was sitting right next to her. So, maybe you should rephrase that to "Megan AND Harry sold out the entire royal family".

Okay, so the Dad did interviews AFTER she broke ties with him. What kind of loving parent gives interviews about how "disappointed" they are in their child. If my child and I had a falling out, I would be doing everything in my power to make things right! Anything and everything. I would NOT be speaking publically. Especially since he already knew that she wasnt happy about the whole "trying on the wedding suit" stunt. That tells me all I need to know about him, in that he wasnt this awesome Dad to Megan.

Oh and please don't confuse my criticism of the Dad in any way for not being calm! That was a good one! Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter