Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

QOTD - What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you have a favorite game now as an adult?
As a kid I liked Candy Lane, Clue, and card games. As an adult I am not a fan of most games but I like playing Candy land and Chute and ladders with the grandkids. I can see enjoying other games with them as they grow.

Hello friends.

We got home Friday night and spent Saturday getting laundry done and things put away. Finally today I am getting back into the groove (or rut.)

We had a great week. The weather was great. The ocean was calm. A few days with jellyfish and a few cool water, but not too cold to get in. We went for 3 bike rides and drove down the ocean highway 10 miles just to see what was changed. Didn't go anywhere else except the grocery store, ABC store, and to pick up carry out. Usually it was someone else who went. Dinners worked out well. I brought spaghetti sauce from home for the night we arrived and chicken BBQ for sandwiches with pasta salad another night. DS and DDIL made vegetable fried rice one night and shrimp and grits another. DD and DSIL made taco chicken on rice. We got pizza one night and carry out from a BBQ restaurant another. We played games some nights. It was a fun week and I feel we were COVID smart.

I'll try to catch up on the weekend but forgive me for forgetting anyone.

Happy Anniversary @easyas123

@sparkle78 I think we all take turns hitting the wall with COVID. On vacation, in a familiar place, doing familiar solitary activities, life felt normal. But other times I really get depressed over everything being missed.

QOTD - What was your favorite board game as a child? Do you have a favorite game now as an adult?
I liked to play Parcheesi and usually it was with my Dad. I think the box said it was like Backgammon. I like Clue too.

Now DH and I play Scrabble or Backgammon. On vacation, DS brought some new games that are unusual. One was Forbidden Island and another was Stained Glass board game. Both were fun. I am not very competitive and these were more cooperative.

Rainy and only 70 today. The grass will have to wait until another day.

We have recently gotten back into card games. Honestly those were the games I played more as a kid - and they came right back to me even though it had probably been forty years since I played!! :goodvibes If anyone wants to answer I’d be interested in knowing what card games you all play, too.
My cousin taught me to play Canasta and King's Corner when we were kids. I'd love to relearn those games. I am a sub for a group of ladies that get together twice a month for Hand and Foot. They've just recently started meeting again. DH and I are also in a game group of four couples that meet every six to eight weeks to play games. I'm looking forward to the day we begin getting together again. Our go to games are Left, Right and Center plus Screw Your Neighbor. The first is a dice game and the second a card game. Both are suited to lots of socializing during the game. We've also played Uno Attack ( that didn't go over real well, took too long) Tripoly, a dice game that I can't recall the name of and we played How To Host A Murder one evening. Now that was fun and we all dressed up for our parts, had a four course dinner, etc.

As a kid I liked Candy Lane, Clue, and card games. As an adult I am not a fan of most games but I like playing Candy land and Chute and ladders with the grandkids. I can see enjoying other games with them as they grow.
This may sound weird but I could taste the colors of Candyland in my mind when I was little. I had a great imagination way back when.

Happy Anniversary @easyas123
Your vacation sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to getting away for a couple of days in the middle of October. No place special, probably somewhere that we haven't been here in Texas.

@sparkle78 I am not very competitive and these were more cooperative.
I'm not very competitive either. I just like to play and win or lose just have fun.

Dinner tonight is Grilled chicken with mac & cheese, peas & carrots and honey dew.

Games - I love them ! My dad would play rummy 500 cards with us. My mom loved monopoly and clue board games, and when I stayed at my cousin’s house, my aunt taught us canasta.
With my own kids, I love to play board games on the front porch. TICKET TO RIDE is my favorite. The board game costs $50, but was well worth it. You make train line connections across the USA, but i’ve Tried to beat the kids , but with so many different strategies , it’s a challenge.
Forbidden island or desert are great games you play as a team to win.
Qwixx by gamewright : is a fun dice game , with every roll you get to make a mark on your card, then the person rolling gets an extra move, so everyone is constantly involved. If you need ideas for preschool or teen boys games as gifts, just ask.

Welcome home, Carol! Your beach picture looks so relaxing! Yay :)

Thank you, Gwynne :) I'll have to look into Parcheesi sometime :)

To all: Which do you enjoy more as an adult Candyland or Chutes and Ladders? I have always thought Candyland would be fun just for the colors and cute design but honestly have no kid memory of playing it!

Sunday gratitude:

A nice later night series of texts from a friend
Chatting this morning with another friend
I think it is a dash cooler at the moment lol

Carol , that looks like you guys had a great week! We've had some fun trips to the area, although we haven't gone in recent years.

So, it's raining, I'm bored and I decided to make some brownies with the intention of having a piece (okay, or two) and then give the rest to the boys who I knew would be around this afternoon....BOTH of them also made themselves brownies! So, if I keep a whole pan of brownies around, I'll eat the whole thing. I'm already short & stubby, don't need to get stubbier! I think I'll cut them up in pieces and put in freezer. Damn kids, always fouling things up.

I've been waiting all day for the rain to subside a bit so I can get a walk in, and it doesn't seem to be stopping. I might just put on my rain jacket and walk anyway.

Dinner for one this evening, so I picked some cherry tomatoes from garden and I'm roasting them now. I'll saute some chicken breast in a bit of olive oil and a lot of garlic. Toss in spinach, add tomatoes and done. Sometimes I add a bit of cream cheese to make it sort of creamy. Should have enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

Games as a kid? Clue, hands down. Sometimes Sorry or Monopoly, and the ever popular Mousetrap.
Card games...Uno, Mille Bournes, Skip-Bo, rummy, hearts.
Now, we play a lot of Munchkin, Pathfinder, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Labryinth, and the new Uno flipz.

Made waffles this morning for breakfast (Kodiak Oat for DH; regular for me and chocolate chip for DS). Ham, Au Gratin potatoes, and veggies for lunch. The ham will be used tomorrow in ham and cheese omelets for dinner, and probably sandwiches on Tuesday for lunch.

It's been a blah kind of week. Here's hoping next week is a bit brighter.

Welcome home, Carol! Your beach picture looks so relaxing! Yay :)

Thank you, Gwynne :) I'll have to look into Parcheesi sometime :)

To all: Which do you enjoy more as an adult Candyland or Chutes and Ladders? I have always thought Candyland would be fun just for the colors and cute design but honestly have no kid memory of playing it!

Sunday gratitude:

A nice later night series of texts from a friend
Chatting this morning with another friend
I think it is a dash cooler at the moment lol

Candyland. Chutes & Ladders is just a migraine waiting to happen, because you think you are RIGHT THERE on the top row....and you hit that stupid slide that goes all the way to the bottom. >:(

When DGS#2 was here, we taught him how to play both, as well as Hungry Hungry Hippos and Connect Four; and Old Maid, Go Fish, and Slap Jack!

Carol , that looks like you guys had a great week! We've had some fun trips to the area, although we haven't gone in recent years.

So, it's raining, I'm bored and I decided to make some brownies with the intention of having a piece (okay, or two) and then give the rest to the boys who I knew would be around this afternoon....BOTH of them also made themselves brownies! So, if I keep a whole pan of brownies around, I'll eat the whole thing. I'm already short & stubby, don't need to get stubbier! I think I'll cut them up in pieces and put in freezer. Damn kids, always fouling things up.

I've been waiting all day for the rain to subside a bit so I can get a walk in, and it doesn't seem to be stopping. I might just put on my rain jacket and walk anyway.

Dinner for one this evening, so I picked some cherry tomatoes from garden and I'm roasting them now. I'll saute some chicken breast in a bit of olive oil and a lot of garlic. Toss in spinach, add tomatoes and done. Sometimes I add a bit of cream cheese to make it sort of creamy. Should have enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

To the bolded--I literally just came inside after picking an 8 cup measuring bowl full of the Barry's Crazy Cherry Tomatoes we tried this year. I am not usually a fan of cherry tomatoes, but these things are delicious,,and very prolific. there has to be hundreds of tomatoes on each of the 6 plants I put in. I am also giving them away like crazy, lol. Haven't tried roasting them yet..do you use olive oil, and do you add any spices or seasonings? TIA!

OK, here’s what I do. I put a piece of parchment on a cookie sheet by pour a little bit of olive oil On it. Toss all of the tomatoes onto the sheet take the palm of my hand and swirl the tomatoes around all in the olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt toss in the oven at either 350 or 375 until they “look like the last time I cook them” probably a good 30+ minutes maybe even longer. Keep well in fridge as well.

To all: Which do you enjoy more as an adult Candyland or Chutes and Ladders? I
I have disliked Candyland for years. When playing with the kids I'd hide the swamp card or whichever one sent you back to the start.

Damn kids, always fouling things up.
LOL. I agree with freezing brownies for when you need chocolate.

I forgot about Hungry Hungry Hippos. And the kids had another game Ring Around the Nosey. And must not forget Pretty Pretty Princess and Crackers in the Bed. We played Right Left Center at the beach too.

OK, here’s what I do. I put a piece of parchment on a cookie sheet by pour a little bit of olive oil On it. Toss all of the tomatoes onto the sheet take the palm of my hand and swirl the tomatoes around all in the olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt toss in the oven at either 350 or 375 until they “look like the last time I cook them” probably a good 30+ minutes maybe even longer. Keep well in fridge as well.

Thank you!

I used to love to play Monopoly and LIFE but no one hardly ever wanted to play. DD and I like to play Clue(we have Bob's Burger version...lol) but Hubby is too good at it and always figures it out right away, its kind of annoying. LOL DD has LIFE mid-life crisis andits really silly and fun. You start out in debt and try to work your way out of it. :laughing: I like playing games but it doesn't seem like we play them that often. I think we need to start doing more game nights.

As for card games....we only really play Uno and War...we recently played with friends and they had never played War before.

Hubby and I watched a movie today called Room for One More with Cary Grant on TCM....what a cute movie. ❤ I loved it. Must be Cary Grant day because now were waiting for To Catch a Thief. I'm heading home tomorrow and hopefully hubby will be heading home at the end of the week with the job done and he won't have to come back for awhile.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter