Purchasing Resale - "Saving" Current Points

JeffCD

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
Looking to take the plunge on a resale contract. The contract has 100 Points for 2024 & 100 Points for 2025. The Month is September. I've already booked by vacations for 2024 (thanks to the wonderful folks here who have made this possible by renting me points). My question is if I were to purchase this contract, can I "save" or roll over the 100 points for 2024 to use in 2025? I typically go during the holiday season (halloween & especially Xmas) so I'd like to be able to book for November 2025 at the eleven month window (e.g. January 2025). Any advice or direction appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jeff

I believe you're referring to "banking." Banking allows you to save points in your current use year (UY) to the next. Your banking deadline for a September UY is April 30.

If the points currently available on the contract are UY23 points, you could bank them into UY24. If they were UY22 points that were already banked once, you can't bank them again.

It's unlikely your contract will go through the process for you to bank by April 30 if you haven't started already. I might ask the sellers if they're willing to bank for you. Some have reported DVD being willing to waive the banking deadline (so maybe you could do it after April 30) but that's not garuanteed.

edit: spelling

Edit: I wrote the wrong number; everybody else in this thread is correct.

Last edited:
Thank you so much FlyingDonut & Cabius! So, first step would be to reach out to seller to ask about banking (sorry for calling it "saving") the 2024 points. Is this a a straightforward process for the seller, or should I expect some push back?
Thanks!!

You are still in September 23 UY. You will get the Sept 24 use year points Sept 1, w2024. They could be banked into uy2025 to be used in Nov/Dec 2025

If they’re 2024 points the UY hasn’t even started yet so you shouldn’t have to worry, you have until April 30 of next year to bank them.

Thank you so much FlyingDonut & Cabius! So, first step would be to reach out to seller to ask about banking (sorry for calling it "saving") the 2024 points. Is this a a straightforward process for the seller, or should I expect some push back?
Thanks!!
It's not difficult for the seller to do (assuming the points haven't been banked before). It's just a question of if the seller thinks their contract will look more appealing with 100 points this year / 200 next, or 100 this year / 100 next in case your offer doesn't work out.

To be clear, they'd be banking UY23 points for you into UY24. If there are not UY23 points left on the contract, then as others have said, there's nothing to bank by the upcoming April 30 2024 deadline.

Agreed with the above. Realistically, assuming they are UY '24 points (not banked from '23) you would likely need to negotiate with the seller to have them bank for you. Even if you had an offer accepted today, you wouldn't have points in hand before the April 30th deadline to bank them, and would be stuck trying to use them before their expiration.
A Sept. contract is currently in it’s 2023 use year, @JeffCD would have until April 30, 2025 to bank the 2024 points.
Thanks!!
Sept. 2024 points are good for vacations from 9/1/24 - 8/31/25. To use for a vacation in 11/25, just bank them into 2025 when you book at 11 months in 12/24 :).
It is pretty straightforward for the seller, but borrowing & banking are final transactions & can’t be undone once you bank/borrow points. In this case, though, you won’t need to ask the seller to bank for you because you have until 4/30/25 to bank them.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Right now we are in the Sept 2023 UY. Are the 100 points for this UY, or does it say they are 2024 UY points.

It makes a difference. If they are 2023 UY points, those the seller can bank for you but they would now only be eligible for trips in your 2024 UY…which ends Aug 31st 2025.

If the contract starts with 2024 UY points, those can’t be banked into the 2025 UY until the 2024 UY starts on Sept 1st. So, there is nothing for the owner to bank for you.. But you’d be able to bank them once you own and then they’d be available for your Nov 2025 trip.

Thank yo so much everyone!! One more question (and sorry that is it so basic). So, when I make a DVC reservation, do I need to have all of the points in my account for the entire stay, or does it work similar to a hotel, where you pay for the first night's stay, and the remaining nights at check out? Why I'm asking is it looks the the original contract I was asking about is pending. There's another contract, with this point allocation:
September 2023 - 0 points
September 2024 - 53 points
September 2025 - 100 points
Given my desire to go during the holidays, I'd want to make a reservation in January for a November stay, and the total points needed would be 100 points. So, in January of 2025, I'd only have 53 points (correct?) and I'd be short 47 points, but I'd get an additional 100 points in September (and, I'm assuming this is correct) and I'd have the necessary 47 points to "pay for" my stay in November. Again, I very much appreciate all of the help and guidance, and I'm sorry if I'm taking up bandwidth with very basic questions.
Jeff

Thank yo so much everyone!! One more question (and sorry that is it so basic). So, when I make a DVC reservation, do I need to have all of the points in my account for the entire stay, or does it work similar to a hotel, where you pay for the first night's stay, and the remaining nights at check out? Why I'm asking is it looks the the original contract I was asking about is pending. There's another contract, with this point allocation:
Given my desire to go during the holidays, I'd want to make a reservation in January for a November stay, and the total points needed would be 100 points. So, in January of 2025, I'd only have 53 points (correct?) and I'd be short 47 points, but I'd get an additional 100 points in September (and, I'm assuming this is correct) and I'd have the necessary 47 points to "pay for" my stay in November. Again, I very much appreciate all of the help and guidance, and I'm sorry if I'm taking up bandwidth with very basic questions.
Jeff

Corrected - you should bank the September 2024 points putting them into September 2025 UY. Then you can use the 153 in the Sept 2025 use year to book the Nov 2025 trip.

Last edited:
Jeff
No question is basic! Idc what anyone says DVC is complicated and takes a LOT of research and learning to mostly get it and still you’re learning stuff years later.

You have to “pay” upfront with all the points for your stay so it’s unfortunately not like cash bookings but luckily our workaround is banking and borrowing. So although when you go to book in January 2025 you’ll only have 53 current UY points to use, you’ll be able to bank those into 2025 UY. So you can book with 153 points for your Nov 2025 trip.

ETA: Just want to correct for future readers. As @D-Trick corrctly said for a Nov 2025 stay, you’d want to want to bank your 53 2024 points and book with your 2025 points as the trip will be during your 2025 UY. What did I say about complicated? lol 🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
@JeffCD - PP is incorrect as they may have misunderstood your question.

In January 2025, you would have 53 points available under the Sep24 UY. If you are looking to use them for a trip in November of 2025, these 53 points would need to be banked by Apr 30, 2025 into the Sep25 UY.
For any booking after Sep 1, 2025, you would have 153 points available (53 banked + 100 current).

DVC reservations are made with available points available at the time of the stay, not the time of booking. You do not pay anything (points or otherwise) when you make a reservation.

Thank you so, so much MerlinandtheMouse!!! So this would be my process going forward, In January 2025, I would have 53 2024 points, and I would "borrow" 47 points from the 100 September 2025 points to have the 100 points I need to make a reservation for my November 2025 trip, leaving me with 53 2025 points. In January of 2026, I would "borrow" 47 points from September 2027 point to have the 100 points to make the November 2026 reservation, and continuing on until I'm no longer around or 2060 happens. :-)

Thank you so, so much MerlinandtheMouse!!! So this would be my process going forward, In January 2025, I would have 53 2024 points, and I would "borrow" 47 points from the 100 September 2025 points to have the 100 points I need to make a reservation for my November 2025 trip, leaving me with 53 2025 points. In January of 2026, I would "borrow" 47 points from September 2027 point to have the 100 points to make the November 2026 reservation, and continuing on until I'm no longer around or 2060 happens. :-)
See my previous post-- posted simultaneously when you posted.

Reprased another way: DVC reservations are made with points that you will have on the day of check in. They are not made with points that you have on the day you made the reservation.

So, if you theoretically wanted to make a reservation in November 2025 using all 153 points, you would need to bank the 2024 points first to make them available in UY Sep25.

Last edited:
Apologies @JeffCD, I went back and corrected my post since D-Trick was correct! You wouldn’t borrow points for that trip. You’d bank your 2024 points into 2025 and then use those 153 points that are in your 2025 UY to book your Nov 2025 trip. (You can also borrow points from 2026 if you needed more points for that trip, as well). I just proved there’s no wrong question since clearly we all need a little help sometimes haha

Apologies @JeffCD, I went back and corrected my post since D-Trick was correct! You wouldn’t borrow points for that trip. You’d bank your 2024 points into 2025 and then use those 153 points that are in your 2025 UY to book your Nov 2025 trip. (You can also borrow points from 2026 if you needed more points for that trip, as well). I just proved there’s no wrong question since clearly we all need a little help sometimes haha
Don't we all! Any questions regarding UY usage I always need to read at least twice.

Thank you everyone!!! I am always so grateful for this community, full of very nice & pleasant folks.

So, to wrap things up, the key points are a DVC owner needs to have the total number of points available for a stay, AT THE TIME of the reservation. There is no requirement to have the total number of points necessary in the DVC owner's account for a stay at the time that the reservation is made (Question, does DVC do some type of calculation that you will have the total number of points available at the time of the reservation? What if I made a reservation that exceeded the number of points I could bank, current use year, and borrow?) Those points can be "banked" by carrying forward points from a prior Use Year, can be all from within the current Use Year, or "borrowed" from an upcoming Use Year.
Jeff

Thank you everyone!!! I am always so grateful for this community, full of very nice & pleasant folks.

So, to wrap things up, the key points are a DVC owner needs to have the total number of points available for a stay, AT THE TIME of the reservation. There is no requirement to have the total number of points necessary in the DVC owner's account for a stay at the time that the reservation is made (Question, does DVC do some type of calculation that you will have the total number of points available at the time of the reservation? What if I made a reservation that exceeded the number of points I could bank, current use year, and borrow?) Those points can be "banked" by carrying forward points from a prior Use Year, can be all from within the current Use Year, or "borrowed" from an upcoming Use Year.
Jeff

Everything is based on the UY the trip will take place. When you make the reservation, you can use any banked points from the UY prior to the trip, UY of the trip, and borrow points to complete the reservation from the UY after the trip.

If you wanted to use banked points, they must be banked when making the reservation. Borrowing can only happen at the time you book.

If you don’t have enough points to book with all you have, with banked, current, and borrowed, then you can’t book additional nights. At 7 months, DVC does allow you to purchase one time use points up to 24 so if there is still availability you can add to your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter