• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Purchasing a new computer

PracticallyPerfectLOL

Earning My Ears
I am about to purchase 2 new computers. Will computers go on sale for Memorial Day? If yes, I will wait to see what sales look like.

Any tips on where to buy aside from Best Buy?

Thank you in advance.

Computers are always on sale...
Few people buy them these days outside of a business as an IPAD also outdated or an Iphone (or android) will do almost everything you need short of being a word processor and Excel.
Decide what your needs are as if It is just for basic word or Excel you need not buy anything expensive.
Look at the processor speed and type, amount if storage etc and compare.
Check out Staples, Dell, Best buy, Walmart etc. a decent laptop can be had for under 500 these days a desktop a little less... something for basic needs 400 or less. Just for very basic needs 300-400 refurbished less....
Higher needs 700-???? depending on if you want the latest and greatest maybe 2,000
Good Luck

Honestly, the last laptop i bought i got from walmart market place from VIP Outlet. They sell refurbished items..have bought a lot from them and have been happy each time. The computer i got was an HP 15.6 inch laptop with 12 gig of memory, win 10, A12 processor and a 1 terabyte hard drive...touch screen for $200... it was spotless not even a spec of dust. So just keep looking in the places Anthony gave you plus also look at VIP outlet and when it says "like new" that means it is new. I just got a portable AC from them that was listed as like new and it was totally new.

I wanted a decent $1000 laptop. I was using a cheap dell my sister bought and didn’t like. I ended up buying a refurbished dell XPS 13. Very, very happy with my purchase and no regrets about buying refurbished. I also looked at surface laptops and MacBook airs.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

I can not buy laptops as both computers require 24/7 remote access. 1 can be basic but mine will need to be a step up for the programs I am running. I will look at the sites yall provided. Thank you again.

I can not buy laptops as both computers require 24/7 remote access. 1 can be basic but mine will need to be a step up for the programs I am running. I will look at the sites yall provided. Thank you again.

How is a laptop different than a desktop computer? If you need a high end machine I would just go to Newegg.com and buy the components and put it together yourself. You are sure to get a more robust machine than you are likely to find at the big box stores. You are assured of getting higher quality motherboard, memory, solid state drive, and video card.

I like buying the laptops at Costco. They have a free 2 year extra warranty.

their concierge service is SPECTACULAR-if they can't troubleshoot w/you over the phone they dial up the manufacturer's tech support and do a conference call to ensure you get the help you need. as far as the warranty goes-they stand behind it 100%. dd's was within a couple of weeks of the end of the extra warranty period when it had a problem. after concierge couldn't resolve it by troubleshooting over the phone they had us bring it to our local costco where they refunded the entire original purchase price on the spot.

How is a laptop different than a desktop computer? If you need a high end machine I would just go to Newegg.com and buy the components and put it together yourself. You are sure to get a more robust machine than you are likely to find at the big box stores. You are assured of getting higher quality motherboard, memory, solid state drive, and video card.

I have had issues with laptops overheating. Is that a thing of the past? I did not want to leave a laptop on 24/7.

I am going to look into building my own. I do not want to get in over my head but if it is simple enough...

their concierge service is SPECTACULAR-if they can't troubleshoot w/you over the phone they dial up the manufacturer's tech support and do a conference call to ensure you get the help you need. as far as the warranty goes-they stand behind it 100%. dd's was within a couple of weeks of the end of the extra warranty period when it had a problem. after concierge couldn't resolve it by troubleshooting over the phone they had us bring it to our local costco where they refunded the entire original purchase price on the spot.

That is good to know. Thank you. I am going to check out Costco.

I have had issues with laptops overheating. Is that a thing of the past? I did not want to leave a laptop on 24/7.

I am going to look into building my own. I do not want to get in over my head but if it is simple enough...

I leave my laptop on 24/7 and have never had a problem. It does go to sleep after a while, but the power is on.

I'm one of the crazy ones that still likes using an actual computer vs iPad. And, I don't like laptops. Sure I know I could dock it to external monitor and keyboard like I do at work but at home I just want a regular desktop. I do Mac's though, so pretty much price set everywhere.
I suggest just doing your research on what you need. I've been in the computer department so many times at Best Buy where the sales folks are upselling someone on features they don't even need. Even the pretty basic (cheap) desktops should meet your needs unless you need something super high end for graphics/design.

Computers are always on sale...
Few people buy them these days outside of a business

Patently false. PC gaming and e-sports are more popular than ever (and growing) and make up a very large segment of PC revenue via system sales, component sales and peripheral sales.

Also not true. Most big box stores (at least best buy) sell name brand gaming computers like Alienware, MSI, ibuypower and cyberpower, all of which use name brand, high end components. Costco also sells a couple of these models.

I have been building my own PCs since high school (I am now in my 40s), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these brands to anyone.

What kind of software are you running?

I'm one of the crazy ones that still likes using an actual computer vs iPad. And, I don't like laptops. Sure I know I could dock it to external monitor and keyboard like I do at work but at home I just want a regular desktop. I do Mac's though, so pretty much price set everywhere.
I suggest just doing your research on what you need. I've been in the computer department so many times at Best Buy where the sales folks are upselling someone on features they don't even need. Even the pretty basic (cheap) desktops should meet your needs unless you need something super high end for graphics/design.

You're not crazy or alone. I need a full size keyboard and a 20" monitor if I have any real work to do. I have a tablet, nice for travel. Rarely use my phone for internet. Fat fingers and 61 year old eyes don't go well with websurfing on a phone. But I am a PC guy. DD was big into Macs...had two Mac Powerbooks.....but something happened that turned her off Apple. Not sure what. She built a screaming PC herself last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter