Punishing my family by making them go

My college kids spring break...yes sucky time! They're not really into thrill rides and actually willing to riding rides with the younger kids. I'm just following and taking pictures. I really do want this to be about them, not me, as it seems.

you know them better than any of us on here. you know what they like and also what they don't. just focus on what makes them happiest and you'll be just fine!

if they like different types of food, explore some resort restaurants. you could resort hop and see the awesome hotels. look up some facts about rides and the parks, there is some really cool stuff. do a cupcake crawl or mac n cheese crawl. i think you should try everything at least once. you'll have a great time if you just go with the flow! :)

you know them better than any of us on here. you know what they like and also what they don't. just focus on what makes them happiest and you'll be just fine!

if they like different types of food, explore some resort restaurants. you could resort hop and see the awesome hotels. look up some facts about rides and the parks, there is some really cool stuff. do a cupcake crawl or mac n cheese crawl. i think you should try everything at least once. you'll have a great time if you just go with the flow! :)
I just can't seem to find anything outside of epcot/food I think they will like. The few things I have, I got the "why would I want to do that"

Honestly, Disney World is expensive enough of a trip that I wouldn't bring anyone along that wasn't "into it". Yours are old enough to stay home and keep in mind that college is an intense time and that one week break shouldn't be spent doing something you don't want to do. Some love to travel that week and others, like me back in the day, just used that week to stay home and decompress a little. I'd seriously give some thought to leaving those behind that would rather not go.

That being said, there's plenty of things to do: shopping at Disney Springs (or the outlets if you have transportation), maybe a side trip to Kennedy Space Center if anyone is interested in that, golf (both full course and mini), water parks, resort hopping, park tours, etc. Also since Disney is so self-contained let either individuals take off by either themselves or in groups.

Good luck...I hope you all have a good time...

I've done my homework, it has just gotten exhausting and overwhelming. I was just hoping for suggestions from people that have been there or better yet been in my shoes but guess I am just mean on this one.

I know it's not what you asked but if this is truly a family vacation then there must be something in it for everyone. If you are actually going camping then let the adult children stay at the campground, go to (GASP!) Universal on their own, maybe take a day trip to the space center, or the beach, or just meet for dinner. Disney is not a cheap place to visit and I fear that you are setting yourself up for disappointment, emotionally and financially. From my perspective sitting here on the other side of the computer what you describe does not sound like fun at all. Either leave them home and accept the fact that this will not be THE family vacation or scrap your plans and go somewhere where there is something for everyone. How about a cruise, or maybe stay at a beach resort and then only take to Disney those that actually want to go to Disney? Just my two cents.

I've done my homework, it has just gotten exhausting and overwhelming. I was just hoping for suggestions from people that have been there or better yet been in my shoes but guess I am just mean on this one.
Stars wars, tower of terror and rockin roller coaster at hollywood studios should be interesting for the boys no??? Even at MK theres space mountain, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion and big thunder mountain, splash mountain. Test track and soarin at epcot. Everest and flights of passage at animal kingdom. All the snacks everywhere....

I leave my husband home because he is miserable places like that. Maybe threaten to ruin the rest of their lives if they don’t get it together and be happy about this (LOL Im joking... but seriously they do have to deal with you for the rest of their lives, and I think I read that them staying home wasn’t an option). Are they into outdoorsy stuff? Theres all kinds of stuff to do at fort wilderness, even fishing. You said they were excited about camping, so figured I’d throw that out there. Honestly, I think once they get there they will enjoy it even if they act like they don’t. Isn’t that what teenagers do? You can figure out stuff they will want to do, make fastpasses just for them if the smaller kids can’t go on the bigger rides. If they get tired of the parks you can always let them go back to the resort and hang after youve done a few family things everyday.

Any interest in the outdoor activities at the FW campground?? Not something I've done, just seen mention of on other threads. Maybe those diversions would have some appeal.

Stars wars, tower of terror and rockin roller coaster at hollywood studios should be interesting for the boys no??? Even at MK theres space mountain, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion and big thunder mountain, splash mountain. Test track and soarin at epcot. Everest and flights of passage at animal kingdom. All the snacks everywhere....

I leave my husband home because he is miserable places like that. Maybe threaten to ruin the rest of their lives if they don’t get it together and be happy about this (LOL Im joking... but seriously they do have to deal with you for the rest of their lives, and I think I read that them staying home wasn’t an option). Are they into outdoorsy stuff? Theres all kinds of stuff to do at fort wilderness, even fishing. You said they were excited about camping, so figured I’d throw that out there. Honestly, I think once they get there they will enjoy it even if they act like they don’t. Isn’t that what teenagers do? You can figure out stuff they will want to do, make fastpasses just for them if the smaller kids can’t go on the bigger rides. If they get tired of the parks you can always let them go back to the resort and hang after youve done a few family things everyday.
They aren't really into the rides, oldest boy likes to eat healthy. I will check into the activities at the fort...I had only looked up info on the camping spots.

I know it's not what you asked but if this is truly a family vacation then there must be something in it for everyone. If you are actually going camping then let the adult children stay at the campground, go to (GASP!) Universal on their own, maybe take a day trip to the space center, or the beach, or just meet for dinner. Disney is not a cheap place to visit and I fear that you are setting yourself up for disappointment, emotionally and financially. From my perspective sitting here on the other side of the computer what you describe does not sound like fun at all. Either leave them home and accept the fact that this will not be THE family vacation or scrap your plans and go somewhere where there is something for everyone. How about a cruise, or maybe stay at a beach resort and then only take to Disney those that actually want to go to Disney? Just my two cents.
He wants to go to the everglades, we all do. Maybe we can get him there on our stay.

For anyone who thinks I am just being unfair I would like to point out our whole summer was based on my oldest boy and trips for him(cultural and camping, which is why we chose the fort and epcot for him and trying to figure out if there's anything else he would like). I'm not a horrible mom, I promise! ;) =)

For anyone who thinks I am just being unfair I would like to point out our whole summer was based on my oldest boy and trips for him(cultural and camping, which is why we chose the fort and epcot for him and trying to figure out if there's anything else he would like). I'm not a horrible mom, I promise! ;) =)

i don't think that at all! but i do think you should convince them to do rides. the rides at Disney are on a whole other level than anything else. they're amazing.

He wants to go to the everglades, we all do. Maybe we can get him there on our stay.

Just remember they're not close. For example, Miami area, which is the eastern end of Alligator Alley, is about a 3 hour drive from Disney, maybe a little more.

Just remember they're not close. For example, Miami area, which is the eastern end of Alligator Alley, is about a 3 hour drive from Disney, maybe a little more.
Ugh hehe. We are driving from Colorado, but maybe we can fit them in. I'm sure I will want to take my younger ones back and he could skip disney all together and go there.

Mean? Maybe not. But I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a trip where at least 3 of my children would be unhappy.
My oldest is the only one who might be unhappy. I really think he will like epcot but I want everyone to go to each park then pick their favorite to go back to the last day. The other 2 will be a lot more ok with it. But the more ideas the better =)

If they like camping, I would let them camp. Don't get them tickets or just get them tickets for Epcot or only for some of the days the rest of you will be going to the parks. Let them hang out at the fort, pool and Downtown Disney and meet up with the family for meals. You can always add days to their tickets when you are there if they try a day and decide it is fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter