Punishing my family by making them go

You really have three groups of kids as far as ride levels at Disney. Maybe the big kids can take the middle group off to do the bigger rides one afternoon.

Other than that, I'd let them stay our late or sleep in and go to the parks later than the rest of you. I think when they get there, they'll see that everything is not geared towards little kids. The oldest 2 might like Jelly Rolls but I'm not sure #2 is old enough. There is bowling at Disney Springs too.

I think a snack crawl in Epcot would be fun. Would they be interested in helping you pick out the restaurants?

I know it's not what you asked but if this is truly a family vacation then there must be something in it for everyone. If you are actually going camping then let the adult children stay at the campground, go to (GASP!) Universal on their own, maybe take a day trip to the space center, or the beach, or just meet for dinner. Disney is not a cheap place to visit and I fear that you are setting yourself up for disappointment, emotionally and financially. From my perspective sitting here on the other side of the computer what you describe does not sound like fun at all. Either leave them home and accept the fact that this will not be THE family vacation or scrap your plans and go somewhere where there is something for everyone. How about a cruise, or maybe stay at a beach resort and then only take to Disney those that actually want to go to Disney? Just my two cents.

Exactly. You have two adult children and one almost adult and forcing them to go somewhere they truly don't want to go does not make for a great vacation at all, especially an expensive one at that! Scrap it completely or go by yourself.

Ugh hehe. We are driving from Colorado...

You're driving from and to Colorado for a one week college spring break? Quite honestly, even if I was a college student who loved Disney, that doesn't sound like an especially good time to me. I apologize for being negative, but it seems like the time constraints don't work well. Is there any way you could go either over Christmas break or wait until early summer when there's more time? I do understand trying to bring the whole crew along for maybe one last time...once they get out of college, its hard to coordinate anything since they've got jobs, etc (I'm finding it hard to schedule anything together for us, and I've only got 2 kids)

It actually breaks my heart I didn't take him/them when he was little.

This shouldn't break your heart. Millions of kids never go to Disney and it doesn't matter. They still have great childhoods and wonderful memories. Nobody is missing something in their lives because they didn't go to Disney. In the end, it is just a vacation destination. Some people go there, many, many other people choose to do something else. It's all okay.

This shouldn't break your heart. Millions of kids never go to Disney and it doesn't matter. They still have great childhoods and wonderful memories. Nobody is missing something in their lives because they didn't go to Disney. In the end, it is just a vacation destination. Some people go there, many, many other people choose to do something else. It's all okay.

I agree. I think that the goal in any family trip is to be with family. We all make choices when our children are young, and we make them based on budget, logistics and preference. When my children were young I could not afford to add airfare on our trips so our vacations were mostly within driving distance. My children got one Disney trip, and as I posted upthread, my oldest s still recovering!

Not that this is super helpful, but the first time we went to Disney World my dad didn't think he'd enjoy it at all. He was just humoring me and my mom with our trip, expecting not to enjoy the parks/rides/shows. At first he was enjoying himself on the trip because he was happy to see my mom and I so happy, but then he really started to embrace the magic of Disney. He had a fantastic time too, never griped about coming back, and since I've grown up and moved out, he and my mom planned their own vacation to Disney World without me. So to all the folks thinking the kids will really hate this trip, there's still a chance the magic might get them too. Especially if they are seeing their mom and siblings having such a fantastic time.

You're driving from and to Colorado for a one week college spring break? Quite honestly, even if I was a college student who loved Disney, that doesn't sound like an especially good time to me. I apologize for being negative, but it seems like the time constraints don't work well. Is there any way you could go either over Christmas break or wait until early summer when there's more time? I do understand trying to bring the whole crew along for maybe one last time...once they get out of college, its hard to coordinate anything since they've got jobs, etc (I'm finding it hard to schedule anything together for us, and I've only got 2 kids)

I agree on this part...college kids get done in May, so I'd move the trip to right after they finish and book a longer camping trip - it shouldn't cost much more (camping nights plus extra days are the cheap part) and you can have more time to explore other things than just Disney parks or die...and you'll have more down time between the "drives" (which, with a baby and toddler, will be a killer trip)...

As for what to do with the oldest ones that doesn't cost anything (b/c you mentioned "affording" the trip)...

- Let them set their own schedule...
- Let them have some of their own time in the park - while they might want to explore world showcase, their siblings probably will get bored quickly and ruin it, so you'll want them to be able to have their own fun...
- Get park hoppers...this gives flexibility to your older ones to be able to go to what they like for part of the day and then meet you...
- Have plans for the parts of the day everyone will be together - my family used to meet for all meals and split afterward and then meet for the night shows...you may decide to meet for lunch and spend til dinner together doing the "little kid" desires, giving your older ones the morning and evening to themselves...
- Plan late evening swaps so you and/or the oldest can enjoy some late night fun while some others watch the littles back at the site...everyone knows going in what nights they can have fun and when they are on duty, and everyone gets to have fun. Maybe a night on the Boardwalk, a night at Disney Springs, a night at Citywalk...
- Plan a down day for the oldest to do whatever - give them the keys and let them plan a beach day, a nature day, etc...just tell them to make sure they are back by "x" time. You'll have the youngest all day and you can plan that day as one you spend in Fantasyland or somewhere very, very kiddy...

Honestly the more you post the more I'm confused by this situation. In the beginning you acted as if the older ones loathed the idea of going but then you say they don't mind helping with the younger ones and are actually sort of looking forward to riding kiddie rides with them. It doesn't all seem to gel and I'm just really not sure how we can help you piece it all together other than saying have a family meeting. Sit down and discuss everyone's expectations for this trip. Based on the large number of kids in this group, I'm assuming you are dropping a healthy amount of money for this trip and some ground rules should be established before hand.

Most of all look at your expectations.

Reading your posts here and on other threads, it seems like this is your dream trip, rather than their dream trip. Something you have wanted to do for a long time, ever since your oldest was young. You probably have many expectations, and you need to be sure you keep them realistic.

Honestly I would say just don't make the older ones go if they don't want to. I've loved Disney most of my life, except briefly while I was a moody teenager in high school. My mom and sister went when I was 16, and I refused to go. It was probably better for everyone that way and they had fun on their own. I stayed home with my dad who didn't seem to care about going either way. Now as an adult I go with my mom and sister sometimes. Once they are older and have their own full time jobs you may still be able to go with them, especially if they have children of their own.

I know it's not what you asked but if this is truly a family vacation then there must be something in it for everyone. If you are actually going camping then let the adult children stay at the campground, go to (GASP!) Universal on their own, maybe take a day trip to the space center, or the beach, or just meet for dinner. Disney is not a cheap place to visit and I fear that you are setting yourself up for disappointment, emotionally and financially. From my perspective sitting here on the other side of the computer what you describe does not sound like fun at all. Either leave them home and accept the fact that this will not be THE family vacation or scrap your plans and go somewhere where there is something for everyone. How about a cruise, or maybe stay at a beach resort and then only take to Disney those that actually want to go to Disney? Just my two cents.
I started to type a response but you said exactly what I was planning to say.

OP, do you expect them to spend all their time with you and the other kids?
If not then I would let them have their own schedule to do what they want and then have set rides and meals you do together.

I think it’s so nice that you want all your kids to go on the trip. It gets complicated with adult children. The truth is that you don’t know if you like it or not until you go.

Going in with a negative attitude won’t help the situation, but there is a chance they could walk in and think it is way different and better than they could have imagined.

Rides at Disney aren’t like carnival rides/typical amusement park rides - so not like anything they’ve probably done, right? I hate carnival rides and despise places like Six Flags. If that’s all I’d done, I could say I hate rides.

But I LOVE rides at Disney. The theming, the atmosphere, the stories. They’re not like anything anywhere else. There’s a chance these naysayers could walk in, see the castle and be like ok, this is cool. I know someone who was a total naysayer and then got bitten by the Disney bug.

I think you need to prepare yourself to be disappointed - because they could hate it! But there is a chance that they could end up really enjoying themselves.

I think there are a lot of great suggestions from those posting here. Set expectations, find activities the older kids will like - Wild Africa trek, renting a boat, fishing or other WDW experiences. Or activities outside of WDW in the area.

My biggest suggestion would be to have a serious sit-down talk with those who are reluctant. Explain to them why this trip is important to you and why you want them to spend this special time with you. Talk about how this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and perhaps the last time you will all be able to spend this type of quality time together. And then also tell them that frankly you need their help. Perhaps having an adult conversation about it (not saying you have not already) will help change their attitude. Share some of the recommendations here for activities they might enjoy and see what they think.

On a side note, decades ago my father purchased a timeshare near WDW. He wanted the entire family to come on a "one-time" trip. I was 18, my sister 20 and we were excited. My older brothers were both married (ages 24-30). They and their wives were very reluctant to go. But they knew how excited my Dad was about the whole family being there. And they realized it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for our family to spend this kind of time together. And turns out it was. On the trip one brother announced he and his wife were expecting the family's first grandchild. It's the last time we spent time together as a family before grandkids changed the dynamic. And it was the last time my parents were able to go to WDW with all their kids.

I hope it works out for you!

I think it’s so nice that you want all your kids to go on the trip. It gets complicated with adult children. The truth is that you don’t know if you like it or not until you go.

Going in with a negative attitude won’t help the situation, but there is a chance they could walk in and think it is way different and better than they could have imagined.

I think you need to prepare yourself to be disappointed - because they could hate it! But there is a chance that they could end up really enjoying themselves.

Boy is this the truth. My husband and I wanted our neighbor to come with us on a trip. We love the little girls and there was no way they would have gone otherwise. We booked the Grand for all of us, there were nine in all. Club level, DxDDP, massages, etc. It was the trip of a lifetime. And for Mom, it was a bust. She really was not into the trip, saved not a penny, refused to participate in planning and could not concentrate on any discussion. This was a lot of money and while it was not wasted, her attitude certainly placed a damper on the rest of us. As much as there is a chance that the boys will love the trip, or at least be happy, there is always that potential that they will not. I was not prepared for how I would feel when my friend was so negative, especially since to me she tried to hide it. I would suggest a backup plan if the boys are miserable.

My wife and I love Disney, we got married there, I proposed there. we've been on dozens of trips. We got annual passes and took our kids many times when they were younger. Now that they are older (14, 11, and 10) and their taste has changed we have gone to Disney less and less. This isn't anything against Disney. we went recently, but we spent less time at the big 4 and more time at the Water Parks. When we did go to the big 4, it was for about 3-4 hours and they were ready to leave. Understand that your older kids (much older than mine) may not enjoy waiting in long queues for a slow trip through the scenery. Not sure there is a solution that will make everyone happy in your personal situation, but I would suggest researching in the teen and adult forums to see what they do.

I don't think they have expectations, they just think it's going to be boring, too kiddie etc

To me, this is entirely different from teens who don't want to go and I have some advice that I hope will be helpful.
When my DW first went to Disney, I had asked her if she wanted to go, and she said I will go, but I think it is too much for kids. I strongly recommend you use this order for the parks:
Day 1 Epcot
Day 2 Animal Kingdom
Day 3 Hollywood Studios
Day 4 Magic Kingdom

or even better if you have five days
Day 1 the right side of Epcot (FW and WS)
Day 2 Animal Kingdom
Day 3 the left side of Epcot (FW and WS)
Day 4 Hollywood Studios
Day 5 Magic Kingdom

This schedule increases the magic of Disney step by step. When we left after that first trip, I asked DW how she had liked Disney. She said, it was fun, but we didn't get to ride Dumbo. I never would have thought that an adult who was afraid Disney was too much for kids would want to ride Dumbo, but that fall we went to the Halloween Party and rode Dumbo. Two 260+# people in one Dumbo is really cozy and kind of romantic.

I hope your family learns that Disney is for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter