PTR for the planning obsessed....Updated 11/5 We're home now.

No I don't, but my friend Sue who does computer IT does. She used it a lot when we both worked at the ski area.

I'll have to pick your brain later on the MNSSHP...I don't know if we should go or not yet.

Thanks...he wasn't too cute a couple minutes ago when he tried getting into the filter system on our salt water fish tank.

You must give into her and post a picture here!!!

:rotfl2: about the magic wand!

MNSSHP was the best thing we have EVER done at Magic Kingdom! We have lots of pics, too. So, worth the money! DH and I are planning on going back this October by ourselves for an anniversary trip, MNSSHP, and Food and Wine. Pick my brain about anything!

Ahhh, the joys of parenthood! :) Yikes on the filter :eek: ! My two were always finding places to cause trouble when they were that age!

Yes, Binder will get her way tonight, if she has anything to say about it :).

Hey - - - butting in - - - but I'm excited.

Just got our tickets for Pricess and Pirates Party - -

We've being going to Disney for 27 years and have never been to anything like this. Can't wait!! They never have anything during Easter - - - - they used to have an Easter Parade and they don't to that anymore. I don't think they even have an Easter brunch - the one at the Lake Buena Vista Club was something you would dream about all year! - gone!

Hope it's worth the money!!!!!!

Hey - - - butting in - - - but I'm excited.

Just got our tickets for Pricess and Pirates Party - -

We've being going to Disney for 27 years and have never been to anything like this. Can't wait!! They never have anything during Easter - - - - they used to have an Easter Parade and they don't to that anymore. I don't think they even have an Easter brunch - the one at the Lake Buena Vista Club was something you would dream about all year! - gone!

Hope it's worth the money!!!!!!
You are always welcome to post Disney news here! Yeah on the tickets!!:cheer2:

There actaully is an Easter Brunch. I lifted this from allearsnet:
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
World ShowPlace Pavilion in Epcot
(between United Kingdom and Canada)

2008 Easter Brunch

Sunday, March 23, 2008
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

PRICE: $46.99 Guests 10 and up + Tax (Gratuity included in base price)
$19.99 Guests ages 3 - 9 + Tax (Gratuity included in base price)

CREDIT CARD REQUIRED to complete a reservation.

2 Table Service meals for Disney Dining Plan

You are always welcome to post Disney news here! Yeah on the tickets!!:cheer2:

There actaully is an Easter Brunch. I lifted this from allearsnet:
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
World ShowPlace Pavilion in Epcot
(between United Kingdom and Canada)

2008 Easter Brunch

Sunday, March 23, 2008
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

PRICE: $46.99 Guests 10 and up + Tax (Gratuity included in base price)
$19.99 Guests ages 3 - 9 + Tax (Gratuity included in base price)

CREDIT CARD REQUIRED to complete a reservation.

2 Table Service meals for Disney Dining Plan

We thought about that - - but - who wants to be all dressed up for Easter and go to Epcot - - plus you have to pay for the park admissions - - so it was either go to Epcot for the day and have brunch - or go to the brunch dressed for Easter - - - oh well, you get the idea - !! We are going to the Peabody for brunch. One of those things I have always wanted to see - the ducks cross the lobby at 11 every day - - needless to say our reservations are for 11:30 - Mom wants to see the ducks march through the lobby!!

Yes, I'm wierd!!!

Husband gets to live here another year - I sent him to Home Depot for the Alien Green paint chips - - he came home with 24 - - - pays to live in a small town with no Diser's !!

We are going to the Peabody for brunch.

I had to google the Peabody...very nice. I'd take that over the brunch at Epcot too! yummy

I've been enjoying your PTR. i just wanted to say that my 2yo ds has the same outfit your ds is wearing in the first picture. I'm looking forward to seeing how your plans come along.

excited about your PTR! Your DS is such a cutie pie. DF and I are TRYING to head that way in September. Right now I'm still in my "mythical" state until we're sure we can afford it :guilty:

I've been enjoying your PTR. i just wanted to say that my 2yo ds has the same outfit your ds is wearing in the first picture. I'm looking forward to seeing how your plans come along.

excited about your PTR! Your DS is such a cutie pie. DF and I are TRYING to head that way in September. Right now I'm still in my "mythical" state until we're sure we can afford it :guilty:

Hi ladies---thanks for dropping by...I just posted to both your ptr's.

chcmama---don't you just love Carter's clothes! I'm lucky to have an outlet store very close to me. Kohl's new jumping bean line of kids clothes is nice too.

I do love Carter's, there is an outlet close to my parents, but I usually get mine at Costco for pretty good prices. He is getting too big for a lot of the cute Carter's outfits that Costco carry's, at least they have the pjs in bigger sizes.

Back to the discussion on the budget

Tips & Misc $275

I always like to have a 10% over run line in my budgets. This way when you miss calculated something, forgot something or prices just go up; you are covered. The total of everything else was $2725…so 10% of that is roughly $275.

Out of that money we’ll use it to tip skycaps, mousekeeping and anyone else that does the heavy lifting or the dirty work for us (not included in this is wait staff). All the tip money will be set aside ahead of time. I hate not having change for tips. One of two things happens then…either you tip way too much because you didn’t have any smaller bills or gud forbid you have to skip the tip all together. Both of which happened to us in Hawaii.

So my solution is to have envelopes ready for tips. I put money for tips in envelopes for both our arrival day and our departure day. That way it is ready to go and I know I have small bills. Lots of DISer’s do the tip envelopes for mousekeeping everyday. I will too. I think you should tip daily for maid service- not on check out day. Reason being is that your “maid” will likely change every several days due to their work schedules. So unless they pool tips or have some other system in place that I don’t know about; the maid that cleaned your room for most of your vacation could get stiffed if your check-out day was her day off.

Here’s a little known fact about me…The shortest time that I have ever been employed at a job was for 3 ½ hours. I tried housekeeping at a resort on the lake the summer before college. 3 ½ hours was enough time for me to know to look for something else.

And when did towel animals become a must have in order to have a great vacation? I love a towel creation just as much as the next person but if I read one more whiny post or review about how they tipped their mousekeeper and still didn’t get a towel animal and how disappointed they were I think I might have to send out some nasty grams. Get over it people! If you made close to minimum wage do you think you’d sit around and fashion white cotton face cloths into works of art? No you wouldn’t. You’d do it when you had time during your regular rounds. End of rant…thank you.

The Food Budget $900

This is actually one of the first things that I did a lot of work on because I had to decide to DDP or not to DDP.

We have done the dining plan twice before…once for free in 2005 and we paid for it in 2007. It worked out well for us and I do feel that we got good value from it in 2007. But it was really too much food. Now most of you know that they took the appetizer away from the TS and the gratuities are now out of pocket. I don’t mind that the appetizer is gone but I have a problem with the gratuities not being included. If I pre-paid for my meals then I want it all pre-paid. But that being said… if the plan will still save us money then I will do it.

Figuring out the food budget is a lot of work…first I figured out where we would want to go for all 9 TS meals and the estimated cost of each (the average value/cost for us is $51 per meal).

Then I looked at CS meals and came to the conclusion that for us a CS meal is worth or would cost us $20 for the two of us (I have left DS out of the equation for now).

The snack credits are worth an average of $3 each to us.

Cost for the dinning plan:

(9 nights x 2 adults) x ($37.99 x 6.5% tax) = $728

Tip on TS = 9 x $51 average cost per meal x 18% = $83

Total = $811

Let’s go backwards in our calculations because I think it gives a clearer picture.

The one day cost for one adult on the DDP (including tax) is $40.46

I figured that for us the credits were worth the following per person:
Snack $3
CS $10
TS $25.50
For a total of $38.50. Plus tax makes it $41.00

That’s a break-even. So I decided against the DDP. With a toddler in the mix I think it’s better to have the flexibility of paying out of pocket then being tied down to a pre-paid plan that wasn’t going to really save us any money.

Now that might not be the case with everyone. I think the DDP is still a great value for people that pick the most expensive TS restaurants that they can for each meal. And I think it’s a really great tool for groups for people that are traveling together. If we were traveling with friends (it will never happen at Disney because I’m too OCD, but we can pretend) it would simplify the paying of the bill for one, and second everyone could order what they wanted regardless of price…making it an even paying field for families with different “budgets”.

What I ended up with for a food budget is this:

Groceries for in room breakfasts, soda, water, snacks $50
Breakfasts (2 TS, 1 CS and airport food) $95
Lunches (9 CS, 1 TS) $215
Dinners (5 TS, 4 CS) $352
Snacks in the parks $50
*DS’s food ???? $100
Tips $80
Total $942

I figure that we will save about $40 in soda/water if we bring it with us from the hotel room so that brings us to $900.

*I have no idea what my son will be eating in October…so I am planning $100 for him if I have to buy him meals. He’s allowed to eat off our plates at TS restaurants but my crystal ball is in the shop and I just don’t know what to plan for him. $100 should cover it if need be.

In future updates we’ll get to the fun stuff like our itinerary and where we are going to eat! :banana: :cheer2: :banana:

I don’t have a thread of the week for you but I do have a beauty tip!

I recommend using “Heel of Approval” cream from Bath and Body for your feet if you have dry skin. I got some for Christmas and have been using almost every day and what a difference it has made.

Happy DISing

And when did towel animals become a must have in order to have a great vacation? I love a towel creation just as much as the next person but if I read one more whiny post or review about how they tipped their mousekeeper and still didn’t get a towel animal and how disappointed they were I think I might have to send out some nasty grams. Get over it people! If you made close to minimum wage do you think you’d sit around and fashion white cotton face cloths into works of art? No you wouldn’t. You’d do it when you had time during your regular rounds. End of rant…thank you.

Amen! I totally agree! I laughed out loud when I read your comment, "If you made close to minimum way do you think you'd sit around and fashion white cotton face clothes into works of art?" :rotfl2: Nicely said! I tip mousekeepers because they keep me from having to clean for a week -- as far as I am concerned that is definitely worth a $5 tip in my eyes!

I liked reading how you figured out your food budget. I am pretty compulsive when it comes to our Disney budget, but have yet to figure out the art of budgeting for food -- we end up doing the dining plan just so I don't have to think about it.

Wow! Great math exercise. I love it! :thumbsup2

My mother and I are doing the DDP in April. I think we'll come out ahead because it is only 2 nights and we are eating at LeCellier for one of our TS meals. We switched from Mama Melrose's to H&V for the other one so that will bring our average down, but I really wanted to try out the plan. Plus, like you said, trying to figure out who pays for what at a TS meal is tricky (although I probably would just pick up the tab - so I guess it's saving ME some money there :rotfl2:)- and we probably wouldn't have chosen LeCellier without the DDP.

Another plus of tent camping at the Fort - no mousekeeping tipping to worry about :thumbsup2 Wouldn't it be funny, though, if mousekeeping did come to your tent site? :rotfl: Crawling into tents and making up sleeping bags.

I can't see us ever doing the DDP. I think if you normally eat all of your meals at TS or CS then it's probably a good deal. But, we usually only eat one meal a day out so we'd spend more money doing DDP.

I have to hear more about this 3 hour job. It must have been truly terrible for you to give it up in that short a time. Did you have a really disgusting room to clean? Did you walk in on something gross? :confused3

Too much math for this atypically math challenged Asian...;)

I miss doing accounting work everyday...so I've turned to FDM to get my fix. We should be on to more fun things like snacks! in future updates.

Amen! I totally agree! I laughed out loud when I read your comment, "If you made close to minimum way do you think you'd sit around and fashion white cotton face clothes into works of art?" :rotfl2: Nicely said! I tip mousekeepers because they keep me from having to clean for a week -- as far as I am concerned that is definitely worth a $5 tip in my eyes!.
We got this one last trip...my guess is that the mousekeeper just moves it from room to room after check-out if no one messes it up. I actually like the towel animals on Royal Caribbean cruises better because they don't use stickers or yarn. We got a chicken once!
January_31_2007061.jpg

I liked reading how you figured out your food budget. I am pretty compulsive when it comes to our Disney budget, but have yet to figure out the art of budgeting for food -- we end up doing the dining plan just so I don't have to think about it.

And that's a great use of the DDP...not over spending. When I figured out that what we would have done on the plan is the same as paying out of pocket I figured that we have a better chance of spending less. I'll let ya know how it turns out in November.

Wow! Great math exercise. I love it! :thumbsup2

My mother and I are doing the DDP in April. I think we'll come out ahead because it is only 2 nights and we are eating at LeCellier for one of our TS meals. We switched from Mama Melrose's to H&V for the other one so that will bring our average down, but I really wanted to try out the plan. Plus, like you said, trying to figure out who pays for what at a TS meal is tricky (although I probably would just pick up the tab - so I guess it's saving ME some money there :rotfl2:)- and we probably wouldn't have chosen LeCellier without the DDP.

LeCellier has been on and off my list for this trip so many times...it's up against Teppan Edo. DH loves both. I think DS would enjoy Teppan Edo a lot more. I can't wait to hear your review of H&V.

Another plus of tent camping at the Fort - no mousekeeping tipping to worry about :thumbsup2 Wouldn't it be funny, though, if mousekeeping did come to your tent site? :rotfl: Crawling into tents and making up sleeping bags.
That's funny. I can see them now trying to open the zippers and crawling in there to sweep up the dirt/sand. We used to camp on the river in Maine and I had a small 1-2 person tent. Since you couldn't stake it in the sand, I use to unzip the door and pick it up and shake out the sand. Made clean-up easy.

I can't see us ever doing the DDP. I think if you normally eat all of your meals at TS or CS then it's probably a good deal. But, we usually only eat one meal a day out so we'd spend more money doing DDP.
I think I'm going to have to re-think it for each trip...as DS gets older and as we add more kids to the family...

I have to hear more about this 3 hour job. It must have been truly terrible for you to give it up in that short a time. Did you have a really disgusting room to clean? Did you walk in on something gross? :confused3
They were training us that day. They had some horror stories about poop on the bathroom walls to share but I didn't have anything bad that I had to clean. It was more that I was 18 and liked to party. I figured out real quick that getting up at the crack of dawn to clean was not gonna work out. And this was a real party resort, you can imagine the things there would be to clean. Plus I had another job...this housekeeping thing was for extra cash...
I've been back since...to hang out at the beach bar!

I agree with you on the towel animals on Royal Caribbean, we loved those. I'm very impressed with your math calculations, if we were staying on site we would probably come to the same conclusion. We probably wouldn't eat at enough TS places to make it worth it. Looking forward to hearing more of your planning.
Here is a picture of one of our favorite towel animal from RC
IMG_0726.jpg

Love your budget. I could never figure all of that out.

Sure you could...but now you can just steal mine;)

I agree with you on the towel animals on Royal Caribbean, we loved those. I'm very impressed with your math calculations, if we were staying on site we would probably come to the same conclusion. We probably wouldn't eat at enough TS places to make it worth it. Looking forward to hearing more of your planning.
Here is a picture of one of our favorite towel animal from RC
IMG_0726.jpg

That is the best towel "person" ever!

Can you imagine all the people that get the DDP and don't use all their credits? I bet none of them are DISer's ...we're just too well informed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter