PTParaD TRs and Shenanigans

Annnnnnnd GO!
Can't help on the fishing charter. We did a sailing charter 3 years ago that cruises east and you watch the Blue Angels practice from the water. Very cool. I think we may do that again in August.

As for restaurants, we like
Tacky Jacks- There are 3 of them. We go to the one that is close to GSP over towards Wal Mart.
LuLu's (sister of Jimmy Buffet) is a tourist (and our) favorite. Off 59 right at the ICW.
Papa Rocco's- On 59 not far from the "T". A long time local Italian place. Not bad (but I'm from St Louis where we have amazing Italian restaurants)
Gulf Island Grill- Pretty good beach food. One of Tiggerdads favorites too. It is on Beach Blvd as you are coming back into "town" from GSP.

For ice cream- Scoops (the Ed mentioned) is hard to beat. It is on 59 right next to Papa Roccos.

j

We left Fort Wilderness at 6 July for Gulf State Park. It hurt to cut our Disney time short and cancel Jetty Park and the Space Coast, but it was the right call as Elsa hit Florida. Be safe all those in the path.

The drive to Gulf Shores was tough. First, I had no idea Alabama was so far away from Florida. It also rained off and on all day. From sprinkles, to heavy downpours, to sunny, to windy, etc. It was like Forrest Gump describing the rain in Vietnam. A stop in Lake City, FL for lunch and resupply in the Wal-Mart parking lot was a nice break.

Google took us on some adventurous routes getting off 10 through Pensacola. I didn't do a good job of looking ahead on the map since the plan changed quick on us. Oh well, we didn't die.
giphy.gif

I dropped the truck into park in our site around 6 pm and set up in our site. GSP is quite a place. Our site is huge as is the entire campground. Instead of cooking we set out for something to eat in town. We settled for 5 Guys just because we didn't feel like fighting lines.

After dinner, we got back to the camper and crashed for the night.

Last edited:
Sucks you had to cut your trip early. I been using the RV life routing engine for towing, its pretty good when you choose RV friendly route.

We are prepared to pack or drive through part of this storm. It is drifting up from NC right now about to hit richmond. I am not sure how much we will get compared to DC and the east coast, though I am ready as I just cleaned and treated all the windows on the truck.

I've got some updating to do for 3 nights at Gulf State Park and the ride home, but I'm in limp mode right now. Camper is being fussy. Wouldn't let me plug in at the 50A pedestal. Had to bypass the shore power plug outside and go straight to my hardwired EMS with 30A. Hopefully I can figure it out before Marceline.

Sitting outside Memphis (don't go if you don't have to!!!!!! as Ed pointed out in his TR) right now. Just sucking it up and driving all the way home tonight, after stops at my folks' places. Will update tomorrow or the next.

My view of the Mighty Miss from the camper this morning

OK. Made it home last night just after 10. House is still standing, though it looks like a jungle out front. Unload the rig, mow, and start to fix some of the gremlins that popped up on the trip on the to do list. Still getting moving, so I'll put my fingers to work.

My last entry about the trip was 6 July as we left FW for Gulf Shores. On 7 July we woke up and decided to head to Fort Morgan

The history of the fort is fascinating and its condition after being finished in 1834 is impressive. Like Fort Sumter, and I'm sure many other coastal defense forts, the original architecture is ruined by big blobs of concrete in the middle of them from decision in the early 1900s to improve the forts to mount newer guns. Despite that, Fort Morgan does a better job explaining all of that than Sumter did.

The kids were way more intrigued by this stop than I expected. Because of them, we stayed probably an extra hour. Best $18 spent in a long time. After Fort Morgan, we went to Tacky Jack's at Fort Morgan. I didn't get any pictures, but good gulf fare.

Back at Gulf State Park, we jumped on the bikes to get to the beach. Until this trip, DS had never seen the ocean. He was excited, but a little weary. He's still not the best swimmer and sharks and stuff. By the time we left, he was too confident.

After some solid beach time, we got back to the rig for dinner. We made brats, fried potatoes and onions, and green beans (from our garden) with bacon. DS asked to help. So he got to work on the bacon.

Apparently grilling is hard work

After dinner we went into town to get some shirts and go to Scoops. Scoops was absolutely slammed. We looked at a few more ice cream joints. Everyone else had the same plan. The sugar heads (everyone but me) settled on ice cream back at the rig.

8 July was a nice lazy day.

I forgot to mention our site, we were in 490. A really long pull through on the west side of the CG.

In the morning we took the kids to The Track. They rode go karts a few times, we played mini golf, and then one last go kart race where I jumped in with the kids. Dad showed no mercy. Still champion.

Kids racing on the karts

Our mini golf scorecard. Dad won, even though they tried to add my score wrong first time!

After The Track, we stopped at the Sunliner Diner for lunch. I went with the patty melt, DS and DW had cheeseburgers, and DD had the meatloaf. We all had shakes as well. Pretty good food. Next time I might go for the Jukebox.

After dinner we headed back to GSP for the beach. We stayed all afternoon out there. Some dolphins swam by while we were out there and that was quite a treat for the kids.
Walking back on the boardwalk to the bike rack we were treated to this:

When we got back to the rig, we did all of our "day before departure" packing so we could jet out in the morning.

9 July we woke up at Gulf State Park before sun up and got on the road by 7. Tom Sawyer's Mississippi RV Park in West Memphis was the target. We took a very direct route that was almost zero interstate. As the driver I enjoyed the changing landscape from the lowlands in Alabama into the woods of Mississippi, but the passengers weren't really stoked with cell coverage and the lower frequency of potty stops.

Getting through Memphis was absolutely a nightmare. With the I-40 bridge closed and the way I-55 winds through town, it was just rough. When I lived in Memphis, this comic was absolutely true. It is even more so now.

Once we finally rolled into the campground, I went to plug in the camper to the pole and my surge protector threw a fault. It showed that the voltage on one of the lines was 50 volts. I pulled out the multimeter and the pole was clean. If I plugged my surge protector straight into the pole it worked. So I dove into the camper and I can only figure that some connections between the shore power plug outside the camper and between the surge protector is jacked up. I thankfully carry a 30A extension cord to use with the generator and I ran that cord through the RV basement and straight to the surge protector to get us up and moving on 30A along with our hybrid inverter we could still run both ACs. Something to work on in the coming days.

The campground isn't a resort by any means. West Memphis is a bit rough and has a nice industrial smell. Also the campground floods fairly regularly and really got smacked in the 2011 flood. So all of the facilities are in trailers. The few hardstand buildings need some TLC.

That all said, it's right on the river. There is barge traffic almost constantly. The towboats sound a bit like a train coming by, but it's not annoying. The kids enjoyed watching all of the cool stuff going up and down the river.

Looking back from our site 94 with a barge passing behind

Bedtime came early so we could roll out early in the morning.

10 July, again we woke before the sun came up. We got all packed ready for the drive back to the KC area (at least 10 hours). We also penciled in a visit to both of my parents (in different nursing facilities).

Everything was rolling smoothly as we made our way north on I-55 (except the road in Arkansas. From West Memphis to about Blytheville the road is an absolute minefield of potholes, frost heaves, bumps, etc). We were about 20 minutes from my dad's place and BANG! The driver front tire on the trailer exploded with zero warning. The TPMS didn't let us know until I was already seeing the shower of fender and tire out of the mirror. I rolled the dice on the china bombs and lost.

I've changed a tire or 40 on the side of the road so I was prepared. It took about 20 minutes to get everything cinched up and back on the road. We were about 5 minutes late getting to our appointment at dad's place. After a nice visit with dad, we headed to a local tire shop, Plaza Tire. They are in MO and IL mainly. I recommend them. The original owner is a family friend and the work ethic of the place hasn't changed much, regardless of the location.

I just decided to go with 4 fresh tires (upgraded to G range from E range as well) to prevent the next pop. It took the shop about 1.5 hours to get us in and the tires mounted. While they were working on the tires I remounted the spare in its holder and we taped up the damage to the fender well and slide.

Since our schedule was thrown off, I decided we needed a treat. So we stopped at one of my childhood favorites, Wib's Drive-In in Jackson, MO (off exit 105 on I-55). The menu is very small, mostly their take on the SE MO BBQ sandwich. A regular is shaved pork shoulder with BBQ sauce on toasted Bunny Bread. What you should get is the combo which is a regular with pimento cheese on it. I also order mine "extra hot" and then still add some hot sauce to them. While I love both...WAYYY better than scrapple or White Castle.

The building and parking lot are tiny so we called ahead and DW ran into the take out window and ran back out and we parked in the Jackson City Park band shell parking lot to enjoy our bounty.

With stomachs filled with nostalgia and flavor, we headed towards STL. My mom's place doesn't have room for a big rig. I planned to park in the Catholic church across the street, but we were about 2 hours later than expected. Saturday means mass and mass meant no parking the trailer for 30 min. So we toured the neighborhood for a few minutes and found a school about a half mile from her facility. So we parked and walked down. Again, another nice visit.

We got back in the truck around 5 and still planned to get back to KC that night. The drive back on I-70W was typical. Of course it had to rain off and on most of the way back. By the time we got to KC the rain lifted so getting through downtown wasn't terrible. I put the shifter in park around 1015pm. Everyone was pooped, but it was nice to be home.

Today, we've worked on unpacking the camper and getting the house and yard under control from 2 weeks of slumber. I took a break from mowing to watch the race and I'll get back out there and finish up tonight.

Thanks for reading along. Looking forward to Marceline in a short while.

===Technical Post Incoming===

Well, I figured out my electrical gremlins. I tore apart my work for my inverter upgrade and started resistance/continuity testing with the multimeter and found that Line 1 (the one I mentioned at W Memphis was only reading 50V was not connected between the shore power plug and where the line terminates at my internal EMS. I started eliminating things that would be messed up, it wasn't the shore power cord that I plug in to the side of the camper, none of my wiring. I started to fear that there was something that rubbed on the wire inside the belly and cut the wire for line 1.

I pulled apart the female marine receptacle at the back of the camper and found the issue:

Anything look wrong in that picture?

I was wrestling and wrestling to shove the wire back into the plug and couldn't get it, so I completely disassembled.

Did the kid on the line flub up stripping and just cut a little more or just made a bad cut and moved on? Either way, I was on borrowed time. I'm glad I wired my EMS behind this so that it saved me from running 50A through this poor connection and potentially harming appliances.

This is the crap with the RV industry that infuriates me. A 20 second goof with a lazy fix on the assembly line nearly cost me a vacation and stole 4-5 hours of my life. I'm fortunate that I have the skills to repair much on my own, but what about the regular consumer that isn't a registered engineer that is fluent in AC and DC systems, let alone carpentry, general automotive, plumbing (I can do it, but oh the train loads of four letter words...the wallet just needs to do that work), etc??

It's back up and running now. Disaster averted. Just mad I have to do this stuff on a year old $60K rig.

<standing by for an Ed comment about the simple A-liner life>

It happened again...rant over, get off my lawn.

===Technical Post Incoming===

Well, I figured out my electrical gremlins. I tore apart my work for my inverter upgrade and started resistance/continuity testing with the multimeter and found that Line 1 (the one I mentioned at W Memphis was only reading 50V was not connected between the shore power plug and where the line terminates at my internal EMS. I started eliminating things that would be messed up, it wasn't the shore power cord that I plug in to the side of the camper, none of my wiring. I started to fear that there was something that rubbed on the wire inside the belly and cut the wire for line 1.

I pulled apart the female marine receptacle at the back of the camper and found the issue:

View attachment 588897

Anything look wrong in that picture?

I was wrestling and wrestling to shove the wire back into the plug and couldn't get it, so I completely disassembled.

View attachment 588898

Did the kid on the line flub up stripping and just cut a little more or just made a bad cut and moved on? Either way, I was on borrowed time. I'm glad I wired my EMS behind this so that it saved me from running 50A through this poor connection and potentially harming appliances.

This is the crap with the RV industry that infuriates me. A 20 second goof with a lazy fix on the assembly line nearly cost me a vacation and stole 4-5 hours of my life. I'm fortunate that I have the skills to repair much on my own, but what about the regular consumer that isn't a registered engineer that is fluent in AC and DC systems, let alone carpentry, general automotive, plumbing (I can do it, but oh the train loads of four letter words...the wallet just needs to do that work), etc??

It's back up and running now. Disaster averted. Just mad I have to do this stuff on a year old $60K rig.

Wow, your lucky that thing didn't arch and catch fire. I would have probably never found that. Even if i was fluent in multimeter.

Exposed copper wires are not good. Even I know that.

I keep my life simple with the Aliner, PTP, because I'm not as handy nor smart enough to trouble shoot AC, DC, carpentry, and most plumbing (although I must say through years of experience I know how a toilet works intimately in all its parts from the wax seal up so I know what to buy at Home Depot to fix one).

Whatever you did with the electrical system is voodoo to me (I'm a mechanical engineer and all that electrical stuff is greek as far as I'm concerned. Ohm's Law I know - the rest is gobbledy gook).

What I have learned is the bigger and more complicated you go trailer/rv wise, the more expensive your repairs/replacements and the more things there are that can go wrong. So I'm happy (and able) to trouble shoot the cam and nut on my storage container lock on the cassette toilet tank door. eTrailer reviews, writeups, and videos are my best friend. :rotfl:

I'm just a poor retiree trying to limp along with my little popup and hang with all the rv park big boys and girls.

When I saw your trailer at the tire place and the matching wheel/tire in shreds off the trailer and the white spoke wheel tire on the trailer it screamed "SPARE" so I figured you had had tire issues that day (seemed like we've had a spat of that lately in our group).

Take a deep breath and we'll see you in Marceline.

Ed

PS - and I'm going to detour well away around Memphis to/from Marceline.

Wow, your lucky that thing didn't arch and catch fire. I would have probably never found that. Even if i was fluent in multimeter.

If I hadn't done my inverter upgrade and put the EMS between the inverter and the shore power input, I probably wouldn't have known there was a problem until I noticed the AC exploding because it was trying to run on 50 volts or a fire. I'm just glad I was able to run it down without a ridiculous amount of disassembly.

I keep my life simple with the Aliner

PS - and I'm going to detour well away around Memphis to/from Marceline.

Nothing but love. I've seen you mention it a few times that the simple life is bueno. As I was reading your recent TRs while I was sitting at the tire shop and later in a pile of sweat trying to figure out why I can't connect to shore power. I started to thinking about the ease of a smaller trailer or the no frills days of tent camping and backpacking in my youth. Why do I need to drag an apartment on wheels behind my truck? Do I really need all this luxury in the woods?

Then I realize I like traveling with my wife and then it all came snapping back to reality :rotfl2:
I guess I'll keep pumping wrenches and shaking my fist at the "RV Man"

And yes, my goodness. It'd be worth driving through Denver via Anchorage to avoid Memphis right now.

Ah well, you see you spoiled DW with that whole F350-IcanPullTheHouseOnOurCampingTrip thing. I started with tent camping on up through 3 kids and then the pop-up from there got my old carcass off the cold, cold ground. And I've stayed there at that level ever since.

Because once they taste the good life, there is no going back.

ED

PS - but I hope there is a Gulf Beach condo in my future and I can hang up the 7-blade electric tow plug some day.

Ah well, you see you spoiled DW with that whole F350-IcanPullTheHouseOnOurCampingTrip thing. I started with tent camping on up through 3 kids and then the pop-up from there got my old carcass off the cold, cold ground. And I've stayed there at that level ever since.

Because once they taste the good life, there is no going back.

ED

PS - but I hope there is a Gulf Beach condo in my future and I can hang up the 7-blade electric tow plug some day.

Uh, it was more DW got all the camping she wanted from vacations as a kid either tent camping or camping in a pick up topper with a homemade bunk bed (kids on top with about 3" to spare above their heads or parents on the bottom with 6" to spare). She had her fill with that before we met.

I also don't see us ever settling on vacationing in one spot over and over. We'll certainly revisit places, but I don't think we'll ever not have some form of a trailer behind us.

I've been off the boards for a few days. I was out at Scout camp with DS. It was a nice few days, but boy was it hot. 100+ heat index for first three days. It did not make tent camping desirable. DS had a great time though and is quite excited about Scouts in the future.

And when I came home, DW had something special sitting on my counter. A magnet from @bama_ed. Thanks, Ed. It looks great up on the fridge hall of honor.

I'm honored that the magnet was put in such a prominent place, PTP.

What level is DS in Cubs? I was big into Boy Scouts - Eagle rank and both my DS also. Did LOTS of summer camps with them too but thank you for doing it with him.

Ed

PS - I see the red-white-blue square knot on your uniform too. :magnify:

Last edited:
I'm honored that the magnet was put in such a prominent place, PTP.

What level is DS in Cubs? I was big into Boy Scouts - Eagle rank and both my DS also. Did LOTS of summer camps with them too but thank you for doing it with him.

Ed

PS - I see the red-white-blue square knot on your uniform too. :magnify:

He's 1st year Webelos. Just starting to get to the real fun.

I was big into Scouts too. I stuck around to 18 and then another little bit as an adult past 18 until I went off to college. It doesn't quite seem like it used to be when I was a kid, but I'll get used to the new normal soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter