Progress of the Triumph

Is there any good reason why they couldn't have chartered boats to go and get the passengers off??

Sorry if I have missed this in another thread.

For once my friend I hope your wrong. Due to the safety issues the longer they are on the dead vessel and more the possiblity of additional problems. Add to that the conditions the passigners and crew for that matter, have been going though, I *HOPE* that no one would be playing games. As indepentent as CBP is they would look pretty bad in the news if it got out they just couldn't be bothered to help these poor people out by being there!

AKK

I agree Tonka's Skipper. They are not going risk keeping those folks out there any longer if they can help it. CBP personnel or Carnival's safety team having other obligations is an unacceptable reason to prolong this nightmare for those passengers and crew. I would think anyone needed to expedite getting these folks off that ship would be on call.

I just saw a report the tow line broke, they are going to have to rig another one.

She is said to be drifting to the east due to the western wind, so they will have to bring her up to the west, to get in position to enter the ship channel.

These are just some of the things that happen towing a 102,00 ton ship.

AKK

I just heard on the local news here in Mobile that there is a broken tow line and that is slowing it down even more now.

From the video I saw she has quite a list.

Those people on board have to about ready to snap.... like the tow line.

Tonka's Skipper said:
For once my friend I hope your wrong. Due to the safety issues the longer they are on the dead vessel and more the possiblity of additional problems. Add to that the conditions the passigners and crew for that matter, have been going though, I *HOPE* that no one would be playing games. As indepentent as CBP is they would look pretty bad in the news if it got out they just couldn't be bothered to help these poor people out by being there!

AKK

I'm honestly not sure. For all I know the tow company might have had weather issues or the Cop might have said no night transit due to weather and dead ship concerns. Could even be tidal issues.

I think push comes to shove CBP would be there but would the busses ( who have hours by law they have to stay in ) and carnivals people be there. There's literally hundreds of people who need to be pierside there at the same time. Even if the ship tied up and CBP was there if no one else is there to move them then what.

Tonka's Skipper said:
I just saw a report the tow line broke, they are going to have to rig another one.

She is said to be drifting to the east due to the western wind, so they will have to bring her up to the west, to get in position to enter the ship channel.

AKK

Just now saw this post. That's another thing that I was thinking is making a 102000 ton ship behave under adverse conditions.

AKK

This has to be heartbreaking news to those on board.

Please this is not a opinion of lines thread............no koolaid, disney lovers, carnival can never do wrong, etc.... names. Just information on the progress of the Trumph and the crew and people ouboard.

As of 0800 this morning, the Carnival Triumph is under way to Mobile, Alabama, towed by 2 tugboats, one from the US and one from Mexico. She had a 4.5 degree starboard list. Due to the currents, winds and drift the vessel was closer to Mobile then Progresso and it makes sense not to fight to wind and current to tow her to Mexico.

She has only emergency power, some lighting, water and limite toilets. Food service is limited due to lack of galley power.

The Carnival Elation and Exstacy has transferred food and supplies to the triumph by meand of lifeboats.

She is expected to arrive at Mobile thursday. The port has a unused cruise terminal which will be available to the passingers and likely provide a good berth for the vessel, while the investigation and determination of what repairs will be needed.

The Mobile shipyard is nearby and has a top notch work force.

As I get more I will pass it on.

AKK

I DID read your little warning in red up there.....but I'm a bit confused.....:confused3........this is a DISNEY BOARD.......was it necessary to post anything more about a Carnival ship????
If people wanted info, they could easily look elsewhere online, or on Cruise Critic.

kaseyC said:
I agree Tonka's Skipper. They are not going risk keeping those folks out there any longer if they can help it. CBP personnel or Carnival's safety team having other obligations is an unacceptable reason to prolong this nightmare for those passengers and crew. I would think anyone needed to expedite getting these folks off that ship would be on call.

What I was trying to point out is that there any number of reasons for the tow to slow. I was using CBP as an example. Another reason could be that one or more of the tugs could need fuel which reduced the number and available power to move the ship where they want it. A predicted change in the weather or currents could be another 1 they may want to avoid for safety reasons. Granted carnival doesn't want those people on the ship any longer than they have to but if it comes down to the safety of staying on the ship a few more hours or risk damaging the ship further or worse hurting a lot of people onboard they're gonna leave them on the ship and play it safe.

justmestace said:
I DID read your little warning in red up there.....but I'm a bit confused.....:confused3........this is a DISNEY BOARD.......was it necessary to post anything more about a Carnival ship????
If people wanted info, they could easily look elsewhere online, or on Cruise Critic.

And if want nothing but Disney you could look at the other threads. I guess we should eliminate the community board here and the universal and sea world. People are interested in this but obviously you are not so why post?

justmestace said:

Because it has been brought up several times and there are those people that are interested in how things work. Not everybody is a CC member.

I for one am glad it's here.

You got something against talking about it in a non-negative way?

Besides, this will effect DCL. Anything that happens like this, no matter the cruise line will effect DCL.

Lastly, some of us find it fascinating to hear the opinion on the operations and mechanics of somebody who has worked on a ship.

Well Stacy I disagree..this is a whole criuse industry issue and event. Seems lots of posts about other cruise lines and vessel are on here not just DCL. I often see the posts of people here promoting Carnival and information on other lines. I often see your posts about other lines and vessels.

I have been over in criuse critic, its a mad house of posters attacking and fighting for and agianist. This post is here to provide information on what is happening.

By the number of people who looked in........almost 6000 there seems to be interest.

So far it has been kept friendly, with the exception of 2 who tried to start a debate...they were asked to stay on topic.

AKK

I just am surprised that since the first thread was closed down, that anyone would start new ones. That was kind of a hint to me that the subject matter has a way of getting hot.

Seeing all that has happened to the Triumph cruise, someone knows what the contingency plan that has the disney cruise if something like this would happen.

I just am surprised that since the first thread was closed down, that anyone would start new ones. That was kind of a hint to me that the subject matter has a way of getting hot.

Maybe the other one lost civility and therefore was closed?

This one has been fine.

They wouldn't be able to do anything any differently than what Carnival is doing.

This post appears to be stirring up controversy again. The previous thread was closed because of this. I appreciate the information that Tonka's Skipper is providing and respect the fact that he has had experience on a ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter