Progress of the Triumph

I wonder if the ship is close enough to land for folks on board to have cell phone service, as I just saw several people on the top deck with phones to their ears waving at the news helicopter.

Watching the live feed, just saw the CG helo lift something or someone up in a basket, it was not a very big item, if it was someone hope they are ok.:worried:

I saw 1 report this morning about 1 person with a pre excisting(spl) medical condition was heloed off the vessel as a precautionary move.

AKK

They must have cell phone service because the Today Show put on a woman who was calling from the ship.

However, I was thinking that in an emergency situation there should be simply a way to dump it. I know it's horrible for the ocean, but there's also the issue of it causing health issues to those onboard.

These systems are not gravity controled, to many cabins, pubilic heads, pipes and angles and tanks.The waste can get caught up in these areas, not the large treatment tanks........

Anyone else have better information?

AKK

Well things are changing or may change...This is up to the Pilot, vessel Master and the USCG's final decision, but there is some rumours they may bring her in at least in partialy dark in the channel and dark near the harbor. I guess they are doing their best to try and get those folks off the vessel as soon as possible.

I hope they manage to do it!

AKK

Live footage on CNN now. They are talking to people and have a helicopter filming the ship.

Tonka's Skipper said:
These systems are not gravity controled, to many cadin, puble and pricet heads, pipes and angles and tanks.The waste can get caught up in these areas, not the large treatment tanks........

AKK

In today's world id be surprised if any of the treatment tanks are piped thru hull to the ships bottom. Most offload connections are usually about 20 feet above the water line and the tanks themselves below. So I doubt that gravity/ dump overboard would work that way unless they put a small amount of pressure on the tanks.

These systems are not gravity controled, to many cabins, pubilic heads, pipes and angles and tanks.The waste can get caught up in these areas, not the large treatment tanks........

AKK

If I am not mistaken, these toilet systems work on a vaccum "suction" system which needs power to run the vaccum.

I cannot imagine what the new and internet will be like once when poeple start showing their pictures, hugh PR nightmare.

The same thing happened to the splendor less than 3 years ago. This could be a malfunction in the engine 2 similar things in a short span of time. Think like the Dreamliner.

Hey Truck and Hello JimGA,

I beleive you both are correct. Back in my day, we didnt have these new fagled heads!:thumbsup2

I think the picture will be interesting.

We have really no idea the extent of the engine and mechcanical repairs needed, but if 1/2 of the reports coming form the vessel are true...................there will be a massive amount of clean up and replacement in the vessel.

AKK

I can just imagine the lawsuits that will be filed against Carnival in the following week.

I can just imagine the lawsuits that will be filed against Carnival in the following week.

Filing and winning a lawsuit is 2 different things. All of these lines have contract we all sign rather flippently, but they are richly written in 100's of years of Maritime law and history.

Yet I am sure all the passigners will be approached even at the dock!

AKK

You are right.....filing and winning are 2 different things but I am sure there will be plenty of people who file and win.....it's evident as it was also done in the past.

I feel so bad for the folks on board. Being so close to land now and it's still going to be another 10+ hours before they dock. CNN says the ship is moving about a mile an hour. It has to be totally frustrating for the passengers and crew.

Canadian News just reported the ship is not expected to arrive until around 11P.M.

Keeping all in our Prayers.. .

I think one of the reasons why the arrival time is changing is simply due to CBP. That are only at the ports during a set time frame. If a ship for example comes in at say 10pm CBP ( along with Carnivals care team etc)is prob not going to be there as they have other obligations etc. In most cases no big deal. The Dream has done it at least once. Same thing with the stevedores. Even if the ship makes the pier and is tied up how many people onboard are going to do something stupid because CBP isn't there to meet the ship and they have to stay onboard another night? So in the end its easier to slow the tow and park her for a night until everyone is ready for her.

I think one of the reasons why the arrival time is changing is simply due to CBP. That are only at the ports during a set time frame. If a ship for example comes in at say 10pm CBP ( along with Carnivals care team etc)is prob not going to be there as they have other obligations etc. In most cases no big deal. The Dream has done it at least once. Same thing with the stevedores. Even if the ship makes the pier and is tied up how many people onboard are going to do something stupid because CBP isn't there to meet the ship and they have to stay onboard another night? So in the end its easier to slow the tow and park her for a night until everyone is ready for her.

For once my friend I hope your wrong. Due to the safety issues the longer they are on the dead vessel and more the possiblity of additional problems. Add to that the conditions the passigners and crew for that matter, have been going though, I *HOPE* that no one would be playing games. As indepentent as CBP is they would look pretty bad in the news if it got out they just couldn't be bothered to help these poor people out by being there!

AKK

I think they are moving as fast as possible. They will bring in the personal they need, government or Carnival or port. I'm a government worker - I love overtime!

They will only care about getting people off at first. The cargo and waste will wait until daylight.

Nancy

Chuck S said:
I'm thinking that transferring passengers ship to ship while at sea is a fairly dangerous project, unless done via helicopter or something.

The Triumph has now cancelled sailings through mid-April. I am scheduled to take a 5 day cruise on her in September from Galveston to Progeso and Cozumel. My first cruise, other than in a friend's cabin cruiser from Newport Beach to Catalina Island.

I read on Carnivals Facebook page that is exactly why they didnt transfer passengers to another ship. Safety. It turned out to be a bigger task than they thought-getting to shore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter