Princess Weekend 2022

I’m training for my first HM on 10/10 (Nantucket!) then I’ll take a few weeks off and start training again in early Nov. Also I live in New England so any tips for training in the bitter cold, I’m all ears. (I’m so afraid I’ll end up on a treadmill for the last 6 weeks and that can’t be good right?)

To add to what jmasgat wrote, Merino gloves and headband are a lifesaver for me.

I just finished my first week of a very long half marathon training plan, basically starting from scratch since there was a 3 week break since my last training plan ended. I did a virtual 5K yesterday and got my best time ever: 43m35s, nearly 3 minutes faster than my previous best.

Congrats on the time! And virtual runs with no assistance aren't easy!

Thread has been pretty quiet this week...

How is everyone's running going?

When are you planning on starting PW training?

Plan is on track as of now! It is finally cooling off a little here so it is getting easier. I am running W&D HM in November so I'm working through my first HM plan right now, getting back up to the distance. Then I have my A race in January (Houston HM) to shoot for a new PR, so I will be adding in some speed work and pace training from Nov to January. Then an easy downhill slide into the Princess challenge. There are only 6 weeks between Houston and Princess so I'll probably focus on running some longer runs on back to back days for that time. It is the one thing I don't usually do for HM training.

I was just brainstorming costume ideas, so, that's something right??!!!

I have to think about this one. My husband is running the HM with me so I feel like we should coordinate. Then I'm running the 10k alone, so I can do something that would pair with a boring costume for him. So many of the traditional prince costumes are kind of boring/look the same and I don't want to wear a traditional princess costume and have my husband be a sidekick character. That feels weird. Hmmm, time to do some brainstorming.

I'm in a bit of a slump atm so I'm just trying to get to my 15k on Saturday, then I'm going to slow down in October before I ramp up training again in time for end of February

Training is going well. Clicking off miles towards a mid-November Marathon. We'll see where I end up fitness wise, but I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at in the moment. Might be able to beat my 3:14 PR. Might run a 10k this weekend to see what kind of shape I'm in (possibly sub-41 min 10k). I've dropped 15 pounds in the last 15 weeks, so I'm on my weight loss target as well. I'll probably take a week off after the marathon, and then that gives me 14 weeks leading into Princess weekend. Haven't even started writing that training plan specifically yet, but I've got some general ideas on what I'd like to focus on.

Finished off my daughter's Scarlet Witch (Wanda) headpiece yesterday. Pretty stoked about how it turned out.

This was my first time working with batteries, LEDs, soldering, etc. So I'm pretty pleased with my work.

To add to what jmasgat wrote, Merino gloves and headband are a lifesaver for me.
Last time I marathon trained throughout the winter like they said layers were my friend and a really good pair of sunglasses! The sun can be blinding during a run with snow around! And chapstick....no way I would have made it through without those things!

I’m training for my first HM on 10/10 (Nantucket!) then I’ll take a few weeks off and start training again in early Nov. Also I live in New England so any tips for training in the bitter cold, I’m all ears. (I’m so afraid I’ll end up on a treadmill for the last 6 weeks and that can’t be good right?)

I run in cold and snow here in Michigan! I usually run-walk, so I don't get as hot as when I just run (without walking)... so I have many strategies for cold and wind. Wind is usually my biggest issue on cold days.

I agree re: layering. I wear my Patagonia Nano Puff down jacket as a top layer. Sometimes I'll do a mile warm-up that loops me back to my car location so i can shed layers in the car before continuing if needed. (Or, I stash layers behind trees and pick them up on my return trip!)

Huge fan of Smartwool. I wear Smartwool socks and base layer tops.

I have running gloves with windproof mitts that can tuck away when not in use... the windproof mitt REALLY helps. Similar to this: https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/draft-hybrid-running-gloves/280437.html

I tuck HotHands hand warmers into my gloves... my hands are always cold!!

I wear a lightweight windproof headband, underneath a hat. I can't stand wind/cold in my ears and the headband makes a big difference (earbuds/airpods help too!). Mine is velcro-adjustable so it doesn't fit tight and give me a headache.

And yes agreed on sunglasses, chapstick/blistex, plus light face lotion with spf, for sun and wind.

Oh boy, writing all this makes me realize I am not mentally prepared for winter... lol.

Last edited:
I run in cold and snow here in Michigan! I usually run-walk, so I don't get as hot as when I just run (without walking)... so I have many strategies for cold and wind. Wind is usually my biggest issue on cold days.

I agree re: layering. I wear my Patagonia Nano Puff down jacket as a top layer. Sometimes I'll do a mile warm-up that loops me back to my car location so i can shed layers in the car before continuing if needed. (Or, I stash layers behind trees and pick them up on my return trip!)

I have running gloves with windproof mitts that can tuck away when not in use... the windproof mitt REALLY helps. Similar to this: https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/draft-hybrid-running-gloves/280437.html

I wear a lightweight windproof headband, underneath a hat. I can't stand wind/cold in my ears and the headband makes a big difference (earbuds/airpods help too!). Mine is velcro-adjustable so it doesn't fit tight and give me a headache.

And yes agreed on sunglasses, chapstick/blistex, plus light face lotion with spf, for sun and wind.

Oh boy, writing all this makes me realize I am not mentally prepared for winter... lol.
Same!! 🤣

I did nothing but sit on my butt from April 2020 to 5 weeks ago, so I started Princess training...5 weeks ago. I"ve gained weight, lost SO much muscle, and my joints are wobbily as well. I took the 10K and Challenge training plans from Galloway and have mashed them up into something that seems like it will work. At some point I'll start strength training as well to help out.

Also I live in New England so any tips for training in the bitter cold, I’m all ears. (I’m so afraid I’ll end up on a treadmill for the last 6 weeks and that can’t be good right?)

I trained for the 2013 Tower of Terror almost entirely on a treadmill. It was only the last long run that I did on the roads.

Use incline, and use multiple methods of gauging your distance, because any one method (strava, your watch, the treadmill itself, etc) might lie. I've been on treadmills matching cadence with taller guys next to me, and my treadmill is set at 3-4mph while theirs are set at 7-8mph. Yes their strides are longer, but I don't feel that they would be eating up THAT much more road underneath them as the t'mill speed says.. I could be wrong, but using multiple tracking sources and going with the slowest one hasn't failed me on the mill.

I also just figured out that the local school has an activities center with an indoor and an outdoor running track, and annual membership comes to just about $20 a month, so I might do that instead of a winter gym membership, since running on a track sounds more appealing than a treadmill.

Check out the indoor one. Watch for a camber (incline on the side). When I decided the treadmill was awful and I switched to the Y's indoor track, I didn't pay enough attention to the camber. They switch directions each day. Alas I was training every other day, so I had at least a week with the tilt on the same side. That jacked up my knee big time. So be careful of that.

Check out the indoor one. Watch for a camber (incline on the side). When I decided the treadmill was awful and I switched to the Y's indoor track, I didn't pay enough attention to the camber. They switch directions each day. Alas I was training every other day, so I had at least a week with the tilt on the same side. That jacked up my knee big time. So be careful of that.
Good call. It looks flat from the video I saw, but who can really tell from a video? I might stop by tonight, I have to drive right past there on the way from the vet’s office, and it’s not hot or cold enough that I can’t leave my cat in my car for a few minutes.

I've learned many things from this forum, one of them being to test out your costume before race day.

Weather has been really warm here (65 at 5am this morning) so I decided to test out my tutu during my morning run. (It was also really dark so not as embarassing running around looking like a giant ostrich) Yeah so... really glad I have those running sleeves :rotfl2: That thing is huge. Underarm chafing would absolutely be an issue. Definitely going to use that costume for the 5k only...

Respect for the ppl who run a HM in a tutu :cheer2:

I'm in a bit of a slump atm so I'm just trying to get to my 15k on Saturday, then I'm going to slow down in October before I ramp up training again in time for end of February

I'll jump in! I'm doing some slow running and working on increasing volume. Registered for the W&D HM but I don't have any goals there, just going to enjoy the first race back. I'll start PW training in a few weeks. My goal for PW is to qualify for corral B for the next Marathon weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

I've learned many things from this forum, one of them being to test out your costume before race day.

Weather has been really warm here (65 at 5am this morning) so I decided to test out my tutu during my morning run. (It was also really dark so not as embarassing running around looking like a giant ostrich) Yeah so... really glad I have those running sleeves :rotfl2: That thing is huge. Underarm chafing would absolutely be an issue. Definitely going to use that costume for the 5k only...

Respect for the ppl who run a HM in a tutu :cheer2:

For the 5k in 2020, I ran as Te Fiti from Moana. Got a beautiful tutu and a few other parts of the costume from a very talented seller on Etsy. Just a gorgeous, well-made costume. However, that tutu really stuck out more than I anticipated, and I hadn't thought through what it would be like to walk down the aisle of the bus in that thing. Of course by the time we got on the bus the only open seats were in the back and no matter how much I tried to hold that thing down, I was smacking people in the arms with the tutu. First time I've ever done a race in a tutu, probably the last.

For the 5k in 2020, I ran as Te Fiti from Moana. Got a beautiful tutu and a few other parts of the costume from a very talented seller on Etsy. Just a gorgeous, well-made costume. However, that tutu really stuck out more than I anticipated, and I hadn't thought through what it would be like to walk down the aisle of the bus in that thing. Of course by the time we got on the bus the only open seats were in the back and no matter how much I tried to hold that thing down, I was smacking people in the arms with the tutu. First time I've ever done a race in a tutu, probably the last.

yep that'll be me on the morning of the 25th!

Had surgery in March 2020. Have had a hard time getting back into running. My main issues is that I like to run in the morning. Between work and getting 3 kids to school I don’t really have mornings available.
Every time I adjust and think I have a good plan, something else comes up.
Over the summer I was able to run mornings on my day off Since DD16 could watch the little kids. Now, DD4 is still home on the days off. I decided last week to plop her in the jogging stroller and start the couch to 5 k on my days off with pushing her to get used to it.

That worked last week. Now, DS was exposed on the bus and needs to quarantine until next week. He is too big for a stroller so I’m 🤷‍♀️.
I have a treadmill. Got 10 minutes in yesterday before DS and DD starting fighting and I had to break it up. I’m at the point where I just want to finish the 10k. I do walk a lot so I can walk 6 miles no problem. It’s getting under 16mpm that’s the issue.

I guess my plan is to do whatever I can before Feb. Jog with the stroller some days, hit the treadmill for some bad runs and once in awhile get in a good run on the weekend. (I work every 3rd weekend and DH works every 4th so even weekends are a challenge. )

Of course by the time we got on the bus the only open seats were in the back and no matter how much I tried to hold that thing down, I was smacking people in the arms with the tutu.

People on the bus expect that sort of thing. :)

It’s getting under 16mpm that’s the issue.

Unless you start back with the "balloon ladies," who start last, it won't be a pure 16mpm required. Even if you're in the last corral, try to get to the corral early (however they are doing it) so you're among the first in it to go. That gives you extra time. And if you walk all the time, you likely have good cardiovascular health, so you should be fine to push it a bit.

Thanks for the tip on your gloves. My hands are also always cold. And like you, I HATE wind in the winter. (I'm sure we all do)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter