Princess 1/2 walkers?

Just a little :lmao: about experimenting with nutrition while training. It is a must do as is finding what works for a before event meal but go easy.

I decided to go for a walk after dinner last night and didn't do too bad but here is a warning. Do not and I mean DO NOT exercise after eating creamed spinach, brown rice, turkey with gravy, BBQ ribs, a couple of slices of whole wheat toast, glass of wine, glass of milk and some dark chocolate chips as a chaser.

It gives you energy but also slows one down.

Do well with your training everyone. Stay positive. :thumbsup2

Just a little :lmao: about experimenting with nutrition while training. It is a must do as is finding what works for a before event meal but go easy.

I decided to go for a walk after dinner last night and didn't do too bad but here is a warning. Do not and I mean DO NOT exercise after eating creamed spinach, brown rice, turkey with gravy, BBQ ribs, a couple of slices of whole wheat toast, glass of wine, glass of milk and some dark chocolate chips as a chaser.

It gives you energy but also slows one down.

Do well with your training everyone. Stay positive. :thumbsup2

Dinner sounds yummy! Probably not conducive to a good walk, but yummy none the less!

Hi Everyone. I was reading some of the posts over on the "official" run forum and felt a bit discouraged because I'm so far from where those participants seem to be. Over here, I feel a lot better because we're Walkers.

Anyway, as a woman who has struggled with weight and goal setting for so long (more than half my life, warrented or not) I'm experiencing some self discovery as I prepare for the Princess 1/2. I have a blog where I'm putting my thoughts on my training and the event. Please feel free to read and/or comment on my blog. I hope it inspires your training too! :cheer2:

Hey Tink - I read your Blog and wanted to leave a comment but it would not let me because it kept asking me to select a profile and the drop box had nothing to choose from...and yes it was my first time reading and/or trying to comment on a blog. I am intrigued with the whole "Blogging" thing and have thought of doing it myself someday - who knows.... Can you tell me what I need to do to comment on yours? Thanks!

Hey Tink - I read your Blog and wanted to leave a comment but it would not let me because it kept asking me to select a profile and the drop box had nothing to choose from...and yes it was my first time reading and/or trying to comment on a blog. I am intrigued with the whole "Blogging" thing and have thought of doing it myself someday - who knows.... Can you tell me what I need to do to comment on yours? Thanks!

Blogging is really as easy as posting here. You just register, name your blog and away you go. If I can do it, anyone can.

You should be able to comment. If there was no drop down, I suspect it was a glitch in loading because I can see the drop down and anonymous is one of the choices. Weird.

We have been hit very hard by a freak October snow storm here in New England (12 inches - heavy/wet snow- terrible damage everywhere) have been with out power for several days, and the prediction is for approx a week more.........I was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to purchase a generator (there are thousands who are waiting in lines and trying ANYTHING to get thier hands on one) to power our fridge/freezer and heat some hot water to take a shower once in a while so I had to make the difficult decision to spend the money I had saved for my Disney 1/2 marathon dream for the betterment of my family. I'm not sorry that I made the choice (there really was no choice - did what any mom would do...)Just sorry that the choice had to be made :sad1: I know there is always 2013.... but today just could not stop crying and eating Halloween candy leftover from the Halloween that never was (our town and many area towns cancelled it because of unsafe conditions - dangling limbs and downed powerlines everywhere)........... I will still follow all of you and wish you all the best on your dream......... I guess looking on the bright side - I wont have to get up to go to the gym @ 5 am anymore...

Sorry to read about your troubles. Hope the power comes back sooner than they expect.

Just make sure you don't eat too much of that candy and do make sure to stay with some training routine.

I'm so sorry for your situation Dreamer, but I'm glad you're all safe. I'm sure you have it in the right perspective, but who wouldn't be disappointed. You're entitled to your tears and saddness. Disappointment is a horrible feeling. Keep training! 2013 will come around faster than you think!

There's a Princess 2013 thread on this board -- you should come over and hang out. Like The Man said, we've got to "Keep Moving Forward!":hug:

Walking a half marathon can be done. I'm a runner and I train to run but I'm not the fastest person around but that's besides the point. Prior to the 2011 Wine & Dine half in October I fell off my road bike and broke my clavicle in four places which required surgery. I had surgery on the Tuesday before the Saturday half so for health reasons I did not run but instead I walked the entire race in 3:16. It can be done and you can do it.

Walking a half marathon can be done. I'm a runner and I train to run but I'm not the fastest person around but that's besides the point. Prior to the 2011 Wine & Dine half in October I fell off my road bike and broke my clavicle in four places which required surgery. I had surgery on the Tuesday before the Saturday half so for health reasons I did not run but instead I walked the entire race in 3:16. It can be done and you can do it.

THANK YOU! That's good to know! I'm encouraged by how quickly I'm responding to the effort I am making. But in the back of my head I've been worried that I won't get where I need to be. Your post makes me feel better about it all!

I have read every post on this thread and am so excited I found it!

First of all, Dreamer2012, I am so sorry for the situation you are in and sorry you had to cancel your trip. I was really planning to follow along with your progress as I also train for the Princess 1/2. Maybe something will happen and you can still make it? Either way, you should keep training! You're doing an amazing job!

There is a lot of support on here - especially from the 2 resident experts - hopefully we can keep it going!

I just decided to start running and am following the Galloway walk/run training program for this 1/2 marathon. I'm going to run the 5K at Disneyland in January just before this event so I can know what a race entails in general.

I started out foolishly...After my daily 45 minute cardio workout on the elliptical, I started running on the treadmill with absolutely zero knowledge. I just thought I had to teach myself how to run a 10minute mi ASAP. So so wrong. My shoes were 3 year old clearance rack walking shoes and on top of running at the gym - I was also following the Galloway program by running in my neighborhood.

2 1/2 weeks into this craziness I couldn't walk. The bottom of my right foot was killing me. I went to the Dr. fearing plantar fasciitis or tendonitis and luckily all I did was irritate the tendon. After a 2 week break - which was SO HARD to do - I started over.

I am so slow! At a 17mi pace I feel no pain, but as soon as I increase the pace the bottom of my foot tightens up again. I am trying my best to not push myself too hard, and I think in time I will be better conditioned, but as a person who loves to exercise (but has NEVER run before) the concept of taking it slow has been difficult to adjust to. I wish I could just hit the ground running - literally! LOL

Good luck to everyone! Hope to see this thread stay alive!

I apologize for not posting sooner. Last week I was visiting WDW (go figure) and I've been playing catch-up since I returned.

Sorry to hear your news Dreamer. I know EXACTLY how that feels and yea, it's absolutely miserable to find out you won't make a destination race you'd been training for and looking forward to. You just can't let it end there. There is always another race, this is a journey you are on, not the express monorail to the destination. ;)

FlowersCroon, that's the injury that happens so often we have an abbreviation for it: TMTS - Too Much, Too Soon. The real serious danger to a beginner runner is that the very last system in your body to adapt is the connective tissue. So you are going along with legs that aren't tired, a brain that knows it can do more, a heart and lungs that feel strong and great...and the same ole tendons and ligaments you started with. No one EVER wants to hear this but it's the truth: It takes between a year and 18 months before you start seeing any change in your connective tissues. A lot of people ignore this reality, keep pushing and manage to get away with it but most don't. This is why you see a lot of persistent tendinopathy, ITBS and plantar fasciitis in the running community. Most people started these injuries early in their career and never took the time off to properly heal them.

I always try to get new people focused more on their distance than their speed. Speed in any race that's longer than a mile is more a function of overall conditioning and specific neuromuscular training (teaching your legs to put one foot in front of the other very fast). Since the second is hard to do without risk, put the effort into the first. That's the underlying science of Galloway's plan, enabling people to go further than they could just running increases the overall fitness level and as odd as it sounds will result in more speed on race day.

Welcome, Flowers Croon (and I love the name!)

This thread has been super useful to me. Since I started walking in August, I've lost 35 pounds, and I think I"m in the best cardio shape of my life.

Before this, when I wanted to live healthier, I'd go to the gym. But I hated every. minute. of. it. So I was pleased to discover, I find walking is actually pleasant (no news to people on this board, I'm sure!

I hope this thread continues too -- I find it very motivating.

E.

So today is my one month anniversary!!! :cool1: I hoped that I would stay committed. I am so happy that I decided to do this. I missed walking (what former New Yorker doesn't) and reaching for that Disney medal is such a great carrot - LOL!! I use my office gym treadmill at lunchtime (bring DVDs from home and watch them) and during the weekend I walk with my daughter. I have lost three pounds, but haven't really changed my eating habits (hubby cooks so its hard to dictate what he should cook). I *think* that I might be able to run/walk the Princess 1/2 (okay, mostly walk), but will wait a little longer to see how my training goes. Now, just to find the money for my trip :idea:

So today is my one month anniversary!!

GREAT JOB! :thumbsup2
Right there with you about the money though. My wife and I usually swing one trip a year, so it really does become a question of allowing our trip to be compromised by a higher crowd level and possibly tired legs OR find a way to squeeze out the cash for a second trip for the race.

Welcome, Flowers Croon (and I love the name!)

This thread has been super useful to me. Since I started walking in August, I've lost 35 pounds, and I think I"m in the best cardio shape of my life.

Before this, when I wanted to live healthier, I'd go to the gym. But I hated every. minute. of. it. So I was pleased to discover, I find walking is actually pleasant (no news to people on this board, I'm sure!

I hope this thread continues too -- I find it very motivating.

E.
Wow - that is awesome!!! Congrats! You rock!!

I'm one of those anomalies that LOVES being at the gym and it's been hard learning to run because the treadmill (in my opinion) is terrible for training! So I actually had to find places to walk/run outside without being in danger and, this is the hardest, during my exercise hours (5am before work).

Keep up the good work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter