Princess 1/2 walkers?

FlowersCroon, that's the injury that happens so often we have an abbreviation for it: TMTS - Too Much, Too Soon. The real serious danger to a beginner runner is that the very last system in your body to adapt is the connective tissue. So you are going along with legs that aren't tired, a brain that knows it can do more, a heart and lungs that feel strong and great...and the same ole tendons and ligaments you started with. No one EVER wants to hear this but it's the truth: It takes between a year and 18 months before you start seeing any change in your connective tissues. A lot of people ignore this reality, keep pushing and manage to get away with it but most don't. This is why you see a lot of persistent tendinopathy, ITBS and plantar fasciitis in the running community. Most people started these injuries early in their career and never took the time off to properly heal them.

I always try to get new people focused more on their distance than their speed. Speed in any race that's longer than a mile is more a function of overall conditioning and specific neuromuscular training (teaching your legs to put one foot in front of the other very fast). Since the second is hard to do without risk, put the effort into the first. That's the underlying science of Galloway's plan, enabling people to go further than they could just running increases the overall fitness level and as odd as it sounds will result in more speed on race day.

Yes - that's what I am trying to avoid: TMTS syndrome. I was well on my way.

It's a pity the old tendons won't keep up with the rest of me! :rotfl:

It is interesting that that his method is also supposed to result in more speed, because of course now it doesn't seem like it. I know I'll be surprised come race day!

It is interesting that that his method is also supposed to result in more speed, because of course now it doesn't seem like it. I know I'll be surprised come race day!

Well...yes and no. The thing about running is that your base fitness matters most in endurance racing. So if you take a person who's longest run is 10 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace vs. someone who's long run is 15 but it takes them 12 minute/mile on average because they are walking and running...the "faster" runner is gonna get smoked because they can't sustain the effort. Once your fitness can sustain a consistent pace through the entire race, running is faster for most folks.

BUT

and this is a huge but; the Galloway method still has enormous value because it's not going to take as much out of the runner. I have a friend who's a Galloway coach. She is every bit as fit as I am (currently much more so due to our race schedules) but she finishes a half-marathon about 20 minutes behind me and ...so what? We both get the same medal, we both enjoy the same course, neither one of us was gonna win BUT the next day, guess who is up and doing their daily routine and who is shuffling along guzzling Gatorade and popping ibuprofen.

I have a friend who's a Galloway coach. She is every bit as fit as I am (currently much more so due to our race schedules) but she finishes a half-marathon about 20 minutes behind me and ...so what? We both get the same medal, we both enjoy the same course, neither one of us was gonna win BUT the next day, guess who is up and doing their daily routine and who is shuffling along guzzling Gatorade and popping ibuprofen.

That's great! I want to finish on time, have fun and take tons of pics as this will be my first time at WDW. I really hope it works out that way. I am so nervous!

Hi. I've been lurking over on another thread and then saw the post that there was a walker's thread. I'm a walker. This past May, my DH and me finally started walking - it was a challenge due to being overweight, a bad knee and during the summer had a stress fracture in my foot. But I've lost 38 lbs so far. And during the first weekend in October, we walked a 6 mile walk. Right after that I heard about the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon.

I had to sign up. Then had a couple of minor set-backs. But just this morning did a 6 1/2 mile walk - so it's not a fluke!

Had a question. Has anyone else had to adjust their gait to avoid pain or to walk better? It's seems if I tuck my hips under me more it helps. I'm having to adjust to this whole "being athletic" type and I have SO MUCH to learn.

:yay:

Hi. I've been lurking over on another thread and then saw the post that there was a walker's thread. I'm a walker. This past May, my DH and me finally started walking - it was a challenge due to being overweight, a bad knee and during the summer had a stress fracture in my foot. But I've lost 38 lbs so far. And during the first weekend in October, we walked a 6 mile walk. Right after that I heard about the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon.

I had to sign up. Then had a couple of minor set-backs. But just this morning did a 6 1/2 mile walk - so it's not a fluke!

Had a question. Has anyone else had to adjust their gait to avoid pain or to walk better? It's seems if I tuck my hips under me more it helps. I'm having to adjust to this whole "being athletic" type and I have SO MUCH to learn.

:yay:

Welcome to the sensible side Lotuslady and FlowersCroon, meaning walking is much easier on the body and still provides a tremendous workout.

I believe one big advantage to walking is that we can recognize a problem exists with our walking style easier than a runner since there is less impact when our feet strike the ground so we are more in tune with our body.

Adjusting your gait is critical to improving your speed and ability to walk greater distances. Just remember to work with your new style at slower speeds along with extra miles before picking up the pace. Distance comfort is a precursor to injury free speed increases.

Pretty sure CSGeorge can add more helpful advice.

Good thing this isn't about running...gait questions start holy wars. John is absolutely correct (as usual), gait is critical to staying injury free and seeing the speed you want to see. The athletic shoe industry has exploded due to runners and walkers relying on shoes to correct their mechanics. Some correction you can do with exercises to strengthen weak muscles, some can be done with mindful practice, some can be fixed with footwear/orthotics and some, we just have to live with.

Just a thought... Hip/Pelvis/Core control are all hallmarks of ChiWalking. It might be something to look into to further.

Hi! Can i join you guys over here? I'm planning on doing the Princess 1/2 and at this point I'm run/walking and I suspect I'll still be doing intervals by the end of February. My sister will be at WDW for her college program, so I'm going to drive down and meet her and I'm VERY excited to take a trip without my 2yo son :) Not that I don't love him but my husband is in the Army so my son and I have spent a lot of 1-on-1 time in the last 2 years and since my husband is retiring the end of next month I think it's his turn ;) I've been training for about 6 weeks so far and I've lost 15lbs and truly going to WDW is the best motivation I've ever had!

Hi! Can i join you guys over here?

Welcome Casndan!:wave2:

The more the merrier, for sure. We all need all the support we can get.

(well, I do, anyway)

It's interesting to me how many of us are telling similar stories: we want to get healthier so we use a Disney event as a target for getting in shape and lose some extra poundage along the way.

WDW Radio had an episode after (I think) last year's marathon weekend in which the host talked about Run Disney starting as a way to attract the athletic to the park and now its attracting park-heads to athletics. I know that's the case for me!

Sooo...has anyone found any other good resources (beside our board gurus, that is!)? I've read Fitness Walking for Dummies which I found informative (although I've never been a fan of the titles) and the Walking website on About.com was really useful for getting started. I got the Galloways book on Walking for Women, but I have to say I found it disappointing. The typos were distracting and some of the advice seemed a bit odd (like don't do yoga!) and in places the book talks about running -- as if it's from Jeff's running book and the forgot to edit it.

I still think he's adorable. Just more of a runner than a walker, maybe.

My next purchase? Why Saludos Amigos / Three Cabelleros, of course, to get in the spirit of the event! :cutie:

best, E.

Doing the princess was actually my little sisters idea, I thought that she was absolutely crazy and no way could I even think of doing that sort of distance but the more I work the more I realize that it really is possible! It has been a bonding experience for my sister and I, I've lived cross country since she was 12 and now she's 19 so I guess we're making up for lost time. I have to admit that I'm pretty competitive and if we get out and run and I have her begging me (the "old" one at 29 :laughing: ) it gives me motivation to keep going.

My mom and I are taking her down to Disney for her CP the weekend of the WDW Marathon and I'm very tempted to do the 5K just for fun :cool1:

I had a bit of the TMTF syndrome myself and ended up with some tendonitis in my knees, I've been listening to my body though, if my knees hurt I do some strength work at home or take a leisurely walk.

Thanks CSGeorge! Chiwalking sounds like the direction I was going in and will help.

So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?" It's one of those mornings. Still got my walk in with good speed, but had thoughts of "Can I keep my speed up for that long?", etc. this morning.

I guess it's just one of those days.

So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?"

I can answer this, more people have that thought than don't. Even once you have a few under your belt, then you start biting off bigger distances or you start having time goals in mind and until you do it, there is always the question.

“I had as many doubts as anyone else. Standing on the starting line, we're all cowards.” ― Alberto Salazar

Thanks CSGeorge! Chiwalking sounds like the direction I was going in and will help.

So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?" It's one of those mornings. Still got my walk in with good speed, but had thoughts of "Can I keep my speed up for that long?", etc. this morning.

My success in walking can be attributed to reading and then employing the methods in the following books. http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?keywords=chi%20walking%20danny%20dreyer&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=6351840865&ref=pd%5Fsl%5F5q8dhholtn%5Fb&rd=1

Becoming a Chi Walker or Runner is not for everyone but practicing it and then making modifications for myself I have brought my pace down. On Saturday I had my last pre Space Coast Half Marathon long walk that will be in 2 weeks. I walked 13.25 miles in 2:15:54 for a 10:15 average. It was a little slower than my best time but I think it was due to my 70 mile bicycle ride on Wednesday. Yesterday I was feeling good enough to go out and ride another 60 miles because Chi Walking really limits the abuse the body gets from regular walking or running.

If you can employ this method I am sure you will find your walking to be more enjoyable. Good luck and any questions just ask so we can help out.

I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept. I do a Galloway method of running 30 seconds walking 45 seconds on short runs and 20/40 on my long runs. I have thought I would need to either push the pace on the longer runs (even though everyone says not to) or increase the length on the shorter runs.

I guess I will try to just trust in the process that if I stick with the training I will get faster and be able not to be swept.

Also, want to take a minute to say to Dreamer that I feel her pain to hang in there.
Martha

Becoming a Chi Walker or Runner is not for everyone...

It is very cool though that the shoe industry is supporting it. Saucony is due to be rolling out their new shoes with less heel drop and the Brooks Pure line is made from the ground up for the midfoot walker/runner. It's a great time to be in motion.

My Galloway friend I mentioned upthread will be running the Space Coast as well. I envy you folks living in a temperate climate where race season isn't over.

I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept.

Glad to help. Honestly that's why I stayed neck deep in this thread. I'm seeing a lot of people who are doing the Galloway technique or walking and are having questions about the counter-intuitive nature of the thing. I figure a "traditional" running coach and runner like myself is a decent "second opinion" to reinforce that this stuff is science...and it works.

Definitely grateful for the answers by John and George. I'm ordering the ChiWalking book and will continue to frequent this board to learn more and share stories.

Keep walking, folks! (or running, if that's what you prefer)

Hi LotusLady! So happy to have you on as a walker also! Congrats on the weight loss!!You're off to an impressive start. :cheer2:

Welcome to the sensible side Lotuslady and FlowersCroon, meaning walking is much easier on the body and still provides a tremendous workout.

Thank you for the welcome! I agree - it's a great workout! I have to check out the link you posted to the books!

Hi! Can i join you guys over here? I'm planning on doing the Princess 1/2 and at this point I'm run/walking and I suspect I'll still be doing intervals by the end of February. My sister will be at WDW for her college program, so I'm going to drive down and meet her and I'm VERY excited to take a trip without my 2yo son :) Not that I don't love him but my husband is in the Army so my son and I have spent a lot of 1-on-1 time in the last 2 years and since my husband is retiring the end of next month I think it's his turn ;) I've been training for about 6 weeks so far and I've lost 15lbs and truly going to WDW is the best motivation I've ever had!

YAY!! Welcome!! Wow you guys are all great motivation!

Welcome Casndan!:wave2:

The more the merrier, for sure. We all need all the support we can get.

(well, I do, anyway)

......I got the Galloways book on Walking for Women, but I have to say I found it disappointing. The typos were distracting and some of the advice seemed a bit odd (like don't do yoga!)

I need the support too. And I just started doing all my yoga stretches TWICE daily and I feel much much better. SO I don't see how that can be a draw back. Odd advice!

That happened to me after my 5mi walk/run I Saturday. All in all - with warm up and cool down and a walk with my hunny - I did 7 miles total and spent the rest of the day on the couch. If I'm useless after 7 miles - what does that mean??? :confused3

I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept. I do a Galloway method of running 30 seconds walking 45 seconds on short runs and 20/40 on my long runs. I have thought I would need to either push the pace on the longer runs (even though everyone says not to) or increase the length on the shorter runs.

I guess I will try to just trust in the process that if I stick with the training I will get faster and be able not to be swept.

Also, want to take a minute to say to Dreamer that I feel her pain to hang in there.
Martha

Welcome! And I hope to hear from Dreamer on here again.

I need the support too. And I just started doing all my yoga stretches TWICE daily and I feel much much better. SO I don't see how that can be a draw back. Odd advice!

A long loose muscle is a muscle that is not rigidly supporting the joint it is working on and actually puts a person at more risk for injury. This is why there is now "yoga for runners" that doesn't use the more aggressive poses. In all honesty, flexibility is overrated in terms of running health and fitness. Anything past normal range of motion isn't a benefit.

The following is from Thomas Kurtz, a fairly well-published expert on stretching and you will see how this applies to yoga:

"While in some sports more than average flexibility in all or some of the major joints is needed just for the execution of their basic techniques, in some others the reverse is true: The greater than average the flexibility of some joints, the worse the performance. For example, running economy has been associated with decreased flexibility. Stiffness of the calf muscles and Achilles tendon enhances “elastic energy storage and return” during every running step, and the small range of motion of external rotation in the hip reduces the metabolic cost of the muscular activity needed for stabilizing the pelvis during long-distance running (Craib et al. 1996). So, for long-distance runners, the greater the dorsiflexion of the foot and external rotation in the hip joint, the worse the running economy."

If I'm useless after 7 miles - what does that mean???

Sounds like it means you aren't sufficiently trained yet. It comes in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter