Prime question

blackears

Mouseketeer
I have done alot of reading here and I have a question about primes..I have two daughters who are into dance and tumbling..I have seen pictures taken with primes in the 105 range, which are awesome, but would one like that work with dance, or action pics? I have a D60, but looking to upgrade to a D7000 due to the focus points, faster burst rate, HD video and higher ISO for low light shooting..So, would a 105 2.8 do the job vs a kit zoom?

Assuming they will be performing in the typical gym and or auditorium, the D7000's higher ISO capabilities and the f/2.8 aperture will certainly perform much better than using a standard kit zoom.

The only 105mm f/2.8 I know of are macro lenses, which don't focus quickly at all. You'd probably be better served by an 85mm f/1.8.

The only 105mm f/2.8 I know of are macro lenses, which don't focus quickly at all. You'd probably be better served by an 85mm f/1.8.

I agree with what Code mentioned. I'm not familiar with Nikon's line of lenses, but I can tell you about my Canon experience. Unless you have some decent stage lighting, I think 2.8 won't be satisfying enough without upping the ISO, especially for dance or movement shots. I really enjoy my 135 2.0. However, it can be tricky to shoot in lower light hand held.

Nikon has a 105mm f2.0 prime that goes for a little over $1k. The thing with this lens is that it won't autofocus on your D60... neither will the Nikkor 85mm f1.8. I haven't looked into third party lenses though.

What's your current lens setup now? I only ask because if you have a lens that'll go up to the 105mm range, try taking pictures of your daughters to see if you like that focal length (if you haven't already.)

I shoot a lot of dance and I'd be more inclined to go with an 85 f/1.8 for closeups shots myself. That extra speed you gain over the longer lens makes a difference to me.

Nikon has a 105mm f2.0 prime that goes for a little over $1k. The thing with this lens is that it won't autofocus on your D60... neither will the Nikkor 85mm f1.8. I haven't looked into third party lenses though.

What's your current lens setup now? I only ask because if you have a lens that'll go up to the 105mm range, try taking pictures of your daughters to see if you like that focal length (if you haven't already.)
Forgot to mention that the lenses above will autofocus on the D7000.

Thanks all...My current set up is a D60 w/ a manual focus 50mm, 18-55 and the 55-200 kit lens..kinda limited now, which is why I am thinking of upgrading...I usually try to get about 6 rows back, on an end seat, that way the stage isn't above me. I have tried different settings, speeds and such, but I can't get the pics that I want..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter