Potentially new member - big philosophical question

Once it is hers with the obligation to only pay maintenance fees (with money left to her) getting the most efficient use would be great but is there enough value in using points in the timeshare market to see that as a decent benefit?
"only dues" isn't very helpful, because the vast majority of DVC cost over time is dues, and they will keep going up.

People do exchange points into the trade systems, but I would never buy DVC to do this. If you want to do this, I would buy into a cheaper timeshare system. DVC is one of the priciest, and it's specialized for a reason. TUGS has done a good job convincing me not to buy into other systems, LOL.

When our kids were young we vacationed in WDW around every 3 years. We looked into DVC a few times before we joined. We didn't see a savings. Plus two of our progeny weren't really into theme parks. Our extended family members felt Disney was too expensive and not worth the trip.

Our third time we looked into DVC I got my husband to agree to attend a presentation. The presentation was very low key. The guide admitted that if we continued to stay in moderates, value or off-site hotels we would see a high rate of savings. She was very clear on the DVC only being a room and any other savings - like tickets and events - were perks that would go away on some mystical Disney schedule. Seeing that we were interested in more than the theme parks we walked around Saratoga Springs (the location of the presentation center) and showed us the amentias (community room, laundry facilities, lounges) so we could see DVC was comparable to typical timeshares. At this point in our lives we were visiting WDW as a couple at least twice a year to make the most of our annual passes and we were staying in the higher end hotels to be within walking distance of the parks. We decided it made sense to join.

Something important to consider, IMO, is the tradeoff in services from hotel rooms to DVC.

If you/spouse enjoys having beds made, towels replenished and minor cleanup done daily, DVC will be very not your thing.

However, with kids, having free laundry machines or an in-villa washer-dryer could tip the balance pretty far toward "Heck, yeah!" where DVC is concerned. The studio microwave or full kitchen can really be a bonus for a couple meals daily, fixing snacks, heating restaurant leftovers, or prepping comfort food for a sick kid.

Even though we go to WDW for no more than a week annually, we save a bundle with DVC. Our entire vacation, including 2 days driving at either end with overnighter, costs us less than half what our Deluxe hotel stays did.

It may be a step up in some ways depending on where you typically stay now. Consider the esthetics as well as the finances to decide if DVC will benefit your family. Saving money isn't necessarily the primary consideration.

Is the Swan/Dolphin room price significantly higher for the equivalent of a 1 or 2 bedroom?

Do they even have the equivalent room style?
Not sure about the Swolphin having 1/2 BRs. However, I own @ BCV and recently just priced out Jersey Week for a BCV 1BR and Swan Reserve 1BR (similar accommodations in a similar location and both with new/upcoming refurbs). The Swan Reserve was about 50% higher after accounting for the taxes, resort fees and parking fees. This was accounting for my buy-in cost from 2013 and maintenance fees for BCV and using a 15% Marriott discount for seniors.

Last edited:

Not sure about the Swolphin having 1/2 BRs. However, I own @ BCV and recently just priced out Jersey Week for a BCV 1BR and Swan Reserve 1BR (similar accommodations in a similar location and both with new/upcoming refurbs). The Swan Reserve was about 50% higher after accounting for the taxes, resort fees and parking fees. This was accounting for my buy-in cost from 2013 and maintenance fees for BCV.
Thanks

Hoping you are not GrumpyinPhilly tomorrow

Would the value be worth at least the maintenance fee?
That's probably not the comparison most people are making. Instead I think most people are comparing exchange with renting out the equivalent number of DVC points (give or take) and then using the proceeds to rent the same place.

Even then, there are a few destinations that can definitely make sense. Many resorts in Hawaii can. As an example, I have an upcoming exchange this summer for a 1BR oceanfront unit at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club. That's a Premiere-category resort, and it's a Peak-season week, so it would have cost 130 DVC points. If you'd rented those 130 points out at $18/pt, you'd generate about $2340---and you'd net a little less thanks to taxes. The week after mine is being advertised on TUG for $3,500; someone else has a floating week advertised at $2,650. So, a pretty good deal for exchange.

There aren't many of those, and there are also easier ways to make that exchange. But, it can work out. If you really do want to use her direct expenses, then that exchange is at most $1,300, and probably less, depending on Dues. There are a lot more possible weeks out there you would spend more than that to rent.

Do you recall what the cost of renting was to Disney's rack rate?

Were you saving over 20%?

I am asking because I booked a reservation and I was using that cost to compare to the cost of purchasing but that would not be accurate if I could rent for less.
The last year we rented was 2019, right before we purchased. We rented points and did a BCV studio for 320$ per night, where my in-laws booked a standard garden view BC room direct through Disney for over $600 per night.

"only dues" isn't very helpful, because the vast majority of DVC cost over time is dues, and they will keep going up.

People do exchange points into the trade systems, but I would never buy DVC to do this. If you want to do this, I would buy into a cheaper timeshare system. DVC is one of the priciest, and it's specialized for a reason. TUGS has done a good job convincing me not to buy into other systems, LOL.

Let me be more specific using conditions that exist today.

If a relative purchased DVC 15 years ago and included you as an owner and in 2023 basically handed it off to you. You now had 310 points with dues of $2,400. You were also given a dedicated account with $75,000 with the expectation that you would take out enough to cover the dues for the next 20-25 years. You now own two resorts with different expiration dates.

Would you see value in using the points to vacation through the other timeshare venues other than a Disney property?
Or do you believe the maintenance fees would not be worth the value of using those points in that manner?

That's probably not the comparison most people are making. Instead I think most people are comparing exchange with renting out the equivalent number of DVC points (give or take) and then using the proceeds to rent the same place.

Even then, there are a few destinations that can definitely make sense. Many resorts in Hawaii can. As an example, I have an upcoming exchange this summer for a 1BR oceanfront unit at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club. That's a Premiere-category resort, and it's a Peak-season week, so it would have cost 130 DVC points. If you'd rented those 130 points out at $18/pt, you'd generate about $2340---and you'd net a little less thanks to taxes. The week after mine is being advertised on TUG for $3,500; someone else has a floating week advertised at $2,650. So, a pretty good deal for exchange.

There aren't many of those, and there are also easier ways to make that exchange. But, it can work out. If you really do want to use her direct expenses, then that exchange is at most $1,300, and probably less, depending on Dues. There are a lot more possible weeks out there you would spend more than that to rent.
Thank you

If a relative purchased DVC 15 years ago and included you as an owner and in 2023 basically handed it off to you. You now had 310 points with dues of $2,400. You were also given a dedicated account with $75,000 with the expectation that you would take out enough to cover the dues for the next 20-25 years.
First, if you are looking to adopt more kids, I am in the market. I'm already out of college, so I'm cheap otherwise.

Second, the other possibility is to sell the 310 points, take the proceeds and add it to the $75K, and give it to your daughter with the stipulation she uses it for vacations. That might work out better.

The last year we rented was 2019, right before we purchased. We rented points and did a BCV studio for 320$ per night, where my in-laws booked a standard garden view BC room direct through Disney for over $600 per night.

Thank you

I will recalculate using a value of 50 to 55% of the rack rate.

First, if you are looking to adopt more kids, I am in the market. I'm already out of college, so I'm cheap otherwise.

Second, the other possibility is to sell the 310 points, take the proceeds and add it to the $75K, and give it to your daughter with the stipulation she uses it for vacations. That might work out better.
I only have one who fondly reminds me it is all going to her.

I just hope she uses that pillow I bought her with the handles before she puts me in a home.

I will present the options she has. She was a great kid and is a wonderful adult. Also, very frugal except when tipping or buying gifts so she will do okay. She understands to be careful with your money but treat others generously.

Speaking of college my parents paid for 21 years of college, so I am just passing down the good fortune I was provided.

I have been considering DVC for some time and was dangerously close to making an offer on a resale contract last night (after multiple beers). However, I didn’t want to make a big financial commitment without being totally certain (and sober).

I consider myself a casual Disney fan; 38 years old with a wife and two kids (ages 3 and 1). I see a lot of Disney trips in my future, but probably just every-other-year or even every 3rd year. Even then DVC seems like it makes sense…

… until I ran the numbers on the spreadsheet. Assuming 3% inflation and room rates are always $500/nt (plus inflation) it just about breaks even after maintenance is factored in. It also assumes zero resale value which we know won’t be true (about 10 years would be left on the AKV/SSR contracts after my youngest are out of college).

This still feels like I would come out slightly ahead, staying in villas instead of studios, and give me the “peace of mind” knowing hotel prices are locked in for most of my adult life.

However, part of me is wondering if locking in now is during a historically expensive time.

My question is: why do you own DVC? Do you see it being financially savvy? Is it emotional (assurance, belonging to a group)?

So many variables and so many personal ways of seeing this.

In my opinion (just an opinion), looking at DVC just from the financial point of view, I wouldn't buy DVC. Yes, It's highly likely it'll save you money vs booking cash rates rooms. But historically there are better ways to put that money to "work" for you.

And even if you're saving money vs paying cash for rooms, are you really saving money? It's likely you'll be traveling more to Disney if you buy DVC than you would if you don't. Now you'll have more trips paying the overpriced Disney food, park tickets, merchandise and traveling costs. So it's tricky to say if it's really a financially savvy decision. You might think you're saving money while in reality you might be spending much more money with DVC.

Having said that, I own DVC. I love owning DVC. I own DVC because I wanted it and wanted to have a yearly week there. Before DVC I used to stay at Values and Moderates. Now for the same cost I'm staying at Deluxe. It's even saving me a small % vs those rooms. My trips now are different than before as now I like to relax more and I don't spend as much time at the parks as I did before Values won't work for that. Moderates might. So DVC allows me to continue going to WDW for more or less the same price as before, while adapting to my new travel habits. There's no way I'd pay those rates to relax at a resort, but with Dvc I can do it.

I'm probably spending more money at Disney now, but DVC allowed me to adapt my trips to what I want to do now with a discount. I also have my spreadsheet and breakeven point and all that. But that was just to see if DVC wasn't going to cost me more. I'm not here to get the maximum savings possible. But I don't think it's something bad if you want to get it, but it'd be more difficult to justify the purchase if you want that.

Some people see DVC as a special group or family. Not me. I just purchased a room. Anything more than that is an extra for me. That's why I rarely complain about perks. I love perks, and would take advantage of them. But that's not why I own DVC. If I get my yearly room, I'm getting what I paid.

Why do I own DVC?

Because I wanted to go back to Disney! ... I visited Disney once as a teen.... then back in 2018 my in-laws took the 'whole family' (15 people) for a milestone trip at xmas. I got to plan it all. We stayed in 2 2br in CC. It was jaw dropping how much it all cost... crazy thing was, it was such an amazing time. I wanted to replicate it.

For me there is almost no chance I'd go back having to fork out the cash every time ... it's not in my DNA. Disney is expensive. Similar to others, DCV enables/forces me to use points and go on vacation when I otherwise would likely not go...

Financially savvy?

Generally yes. I can still work the system and find 'deals'. We've owned for a couple of years and are a bit ahead (of discounted room rates) if sold at today's resale prices. The better part is forced vacations ... that is the real trick!

Emotionally attached?

Sort of. I do love to get into the bubble!

Forced vacations... Who would't want to be forced to go on a vacation! :) ... we really do like it. We just got back from 4 nights at Hilton head (3 nights prior in Asheville). Absolutely fantastic time. Never would have done that without DVC.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

until I ran the numbers on the spreadsheet. Assuming 3% inflation and room rates are always $500/nt (plus inflation) it just about breaks even after maintenance is factored in. It also assumes zero resale value which we know won’t be true (about 10 years would be left on the AKV/SSR contracts after my youngest are out of college).

Something is off with your math IMO or you are buying a specific contract that is overpriced.

Were you comparing how many nights you are getting with your points to the cash side? Were you considering that you would be banking points or borrowing points to get to that total?

How many nights on cash vs how many points were you comparing in your math equation?

I'm still in the "looking at DVC with analysis paralysis" phase - something I tend to do every year... I've got a spreadsheet that I'm pretty proud of and actually ran the numbers for VERY specific dates I would want to be in my happy place. I compared Direct Disney costs with DVC and for fun, threw in Disney moderates & values, as well as off-site hotels that still offer transportation. DVC still came out ahead! I've calculated dues over time, approx. total cost of purchase and how many nights 200 points would get me to calculate $ room per night and it beats every hotel.

I started going to Disney staying at the Swan/Dolphin but their rates have gone through the roof of late. Yes, about once or twice a year you might get lucky, but don't forget to add on $85 for resort fees & parking. I started staying off-site at Marriott properties and driving, but it's really not the same. I've tried a few Hilton properties and my best experience to date was the Hilton Buena Vista, but if you want to travel on specific dates, like I do, I found it hard to stomach the rates.

I think this time I may actually jump in because I see this as an investment - in ME. WDW truly is my happy place. It's where I go on happy days and sad days, and I can spend the day without going on a single ride and feel all my stress drain away. I've even been stuck working through half my Disney vacation but knowing at the end of the day, I can still get in 4-6 park hours still made the day end on a high note. It's been 7 weeks since my last trip and I feel it. It's so easy to cancel a park reservation if something comes up, but having a stay? I think I might actually take more of my PTO!

I keep looking for the downside, but I haven't found it yet, despite pouring over just about every thread there is. I guess I just need to find the right contract now! Actually two, despite everything about 2042, I have a very emotional attachment to the Crescent Lake area so maybe just a small one for the 11 month guarantee.

You've all been amazing - such a great community of people, helping out the newbies with all our crazy questions. Can't wait to pay it forward one day soon!

Is the Swan/Dolphin room price significantly higher for the equivalent of a 1 or 2 bedroom?

Do they even have the equivalent room style?

Sorry if this has already been answered by others. In my calculations to buy into DVC before I made the plunge there is actually a higher return on value for DVC when you get into the larger room categories and this is tilted even more in your favor at the higher end/pricier resorts. Makes sense as a majority of travelers likely go for the traditional hotel rooms and studios are the direct comparison. From what I read here and on Facebook groups it seems like most DVC members/guests are studio focused. As there is more demand/competition for these rooms there is more pressure for the prices to be lower. The cash rack rates jump quite a bit when you go from a regular hotel room into a suite.

For me and my family, we have always preferred to have more room to relax and live in when we vacation so we were already looking for a good value on a suite at a decent resort when we travel but had no luck ever getting one at Disney. Most of the time it seemed like a suite was well north of 1500 to 1800 a night or sold out completely. DVC levels this out and creates value in the long run for us (with a rather substantial upfront investment). We'll likely book 2BRs whenever possible for most trips and I calculated the savings to be in the 100s of thousands of dollars over 15 years (estimating a 5 percent annual increase in dues and 4 percent annual increase in rack rates with a 25% discount on the cash rates - most of my deep dive into the numbers were at VGC, Riviera, and CCV/WL).

I bought end of 2021. Direct riviera. First trip was summer 2022 and was able to get 2 studios and take friends. Would never be able to do that with a cash room. Me and my wife went in October for 3 days for food and wine and now have aulani in June and WDW in dec 2023. Would never be able to afford the top notch rooms paying cash or would even think about. Tbh if you love Disney and taking the family just do it don’t think about if will break even in 7 or 8 years. My example is we went in June of 2008 and stayed at pop century for 80$ a night. Can’t even imagine what it would cost now. Locking in todays rates are guaranteed to be lower than they will be in 20 years. Plus being DVC member feels good. Lol.

Sorry if this has already been answered by others. In my calculations to buy into DVC before I made the plunge there is actually a higher return on value for DVC when you get into the larger room categories and this is tilted even more in your favor at the higher end/pricier resorts. Makes sense as a majority of travelers likely go for the traditional hotel rooms and studios are the direct comparison. From what I read here and on Facebook groups it seems like most DVC members/guests are studio focused. As there is more demand/competition for these rooms there is more pressure for the prices to be lower. The cash rack rates jump quite a bit when you go from a regular hotel room into a suite.

For me and my family, we have always preferred to have more room to relax and live in when we vacation so we were already looking for a good value on a suite at a decent resort when we travel but had no luck ever getting one at Disney. Most of the time it seemed like a suite was well north of 1500 to 1800 a night or sold out completely. DVC levels this out and creates value in the long run for us (with a rather substantial upfront investment). We'll likely book 2BRs whenever possible for most trips and I calculated the savings to be in the 100s of thousands of dollars over 15 years (estimating a 5 percent annual increase in dues and 4 percent annual increase in rack rates with a 25% discount on the cash rates - most of my deep dive into the numbers were at VGC, Riviera, and CCV/WL).
That is how I feel also but I want to make the purchase so badly I was concerned I was letting that emotion cloud my financial judgment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!