Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

This was all done according to what the SW rules are right now. The way to get all three of you with the highest boarding position would have been for you to purchase the BS fare for your youngest, buy an AT or WGA fare for you and your companion. As A list you would have been given a boarding position at T-36, your companion would have been given the boarding position either immediately in front or behind you. A BS ticket holder never gets to bring a companion with them to their A1-15 boarding position. Your youngest, having no status on a WGA fare got the boarding position dictated by check in time, which I'm guessing was not exactly at T-24.
Right - I definitely didn't check us in at T-24 (1 because it was at 5:30 the previous morning but 2 because I thought I had taken care of the issue). Clearly SW made off fine and no one was hurt - it also didn't help my feelings of customer loyalty.

Right - I definitely didn't check us in at T-24 (1 because it was at 5:30 the previous morning but 2 because I thought I had taken care of the issue). Clearly SW made off fine and no one was hurt - it also didn't help my feelings of customer loyalty.
Why would your customer loyalty feelings be hurt because they followed the exact procedures that they have laid out in their program terms and conditions? Never have those on "linked" reservations been checked in with a flyer with status, they've always needed to check themselves in at the appropriate time. CP boarding with Primary traveler still has not been officially announced although it's been done for the last 8-10 months. And even then it's been pretty clear cut that BS benefits don't extend to companions, frankly I'm surprised they gave her the A list benefit and she got an A group at all.

Southwest schedule extension has been pushed back.
DANG BLANG!!

I was so looking forward to booking our Oct flights in a few weeks! We leave for Disney on March 5th and booking flights for another trip in October just 2 days before then was exciting..

and I guess this means I need to move the reminder on my calendar!

Thanks for the heads up!

I've never done EBCI since I could just use family boarding. But my kids are too old and too tall for that now and I got EBCI for convenience. Do you get a an email when you're checked in? Or does something pop up in your account with the boarding passes? I'm just past the 36 hour mark and I can't see any boarding passes yet.

I've never done EBCI since I could just use family boarding. But my kids are too old and too tall for that now and I got EBCI for convenience. Do you get a an email when you're checked in? Or does something pop up in your account with the boarding passes? I'm just past the 36 hour mark and I can't see any boarding passes yet.
Even though the system checks you in, you have to go on the website or the app and check in to see your boarding position. You can do this starting at 24 hours before your flight.

I only made the $18k because we charge DS's college tuition and that always puts us over the top!

I was thinking that it had said 8 weeks but I wasn't sure...

thanks!

I loved the days when I could charge tuition without a surcharge. I think I did that for 4 semester for my oldest, then they started charging 3%. It was never available free for my youngest.

Wow. I have never had a C boarding pass if I remember to check in at T-24. When I have forgotten I have seen an occassional C boarding pass. Everyone must have bought EBCI.

Wow. I have never had a C boarding pass if I remember to check in at T-24. When I have forgotten I have seen an occassional C boarding pass. Everyone must have bought EBCI.
Coming back from Vegas in mid-December I got B60 checking in right at 24 hours ahead. I spoke with the guy in front of me for a bit while boarding was happening and he remarked "I checked in right at 24 hours in advance looks like I beat you by a second". It was the furthest I had been except for what we think was a random glitch where I was the Companion and we checked in right at 24 hours and got C something or rather, that was not something with a bunch of EBCI. This past December flight we are thinking that's what happened as in a lot of EBCI and people with A-list (like my husband was). I think the bumps SWA gave may have helped with that a bit. My husband with A-list was low A's like A24 or something like that.

No, to be clear, I didn't check in at t-24 (I thought the problem had been solved - usually I do). So, I don't think it would've been a problem (I don't even remember when I checked in - single parent taking kids to Disney World on our first trip since the pandemic ... it was all a blur 🤣

Why would your customer loyalty feelings be hurt because they followed the exact procedures that they have laid out in their program terms and conditions? Never have those on "linked" reservations been checked in with a flyer with status, they've always needed to check themselves in at the appropriate time. CP boarding with Primary traveler still has not been officially announced although it's been done for the last 8-10 months. And even then it's been pretty clear cut that BS benefits don't extend to companions, frankly I'm surprised they gave her the A list benefit and she got an A group at all.
I hear you and have been clear since my follow-up that I clearly misunderstood. To answer the question about loyalty, I felt like the gate agent/CSR could've taken a moment to say, "Here's the mistake - we're sorry for confusion. You can board when family boarding begins." She did none of that and, even as I understand a number of reasons why it could be that way, I felt she was super rude (I think subconsciously - she's dealing with a ton of people at the beginning of a long day). I personally feel (and in my own current job with Customer Service) that it's not terribly out of line to hear people, and then try to explain or fix (with any grace, kindness, compassion, etc one can find). I also don't fundamentally know what mattered to them since we weren't going to have to board with the C group (my base-level goal was 3 seats together and my preference was to be pretty far back so I didn't have to deal with people as much). It's not like it's a mad rush for first-class seats. But anyway, I hear you and thought I already said it but will reiterate - clearly my mistake. I apologize if trying to clear it up here (since I believe that when I asked about this situation earlier this year, I got the info that led me to my erroneous belief and I didn't want others to have to experience that) is a problem. But yeah, you definitely are 100% right.

No, you won’t get any notice. Your position was secured at 36 hours, but you still need to go thru the actual check in process. So anytime after the 24 hour mark, you check in & your boarding pass will have the number you were assigned with EBCI.

edit, just realized you asked that on Thursday, so you already figured it out. Sorry. Hope you’re having a great trip!

Last edited:
I hear you and have been clear since my follow-up that I clearly misunderstood. To answer the question about loyalty, I felt like the gate agent/CSR could've taken a moment to say, "Here's the mistake - we're sorry for confusion. You can board when family boarding begins." She did none of that and, even as I understand a number of reasons why it could be that way, I felt she was super rude (I think subconsciously - she's dealing with a ton of people at the beginning of a long day). I personally feel (and in my own current job with Customer Service) that it's not terribly out of line to hear people, and then try to explain or fix (with any grace, kindness, compassion, etc one can find). I also don't fundamentally know what mattered to them since we weren't going to have to board with the C group (my base-level goal was 3 seats together and my preference was to be pretty far back so I didn't have to deal with people as much). It's not like it's a mad rush for first-class seats. But anyway, I hear you and thought I already said it but will reiterate - clearly my mistake. I apologize if trying to clear it up here (since I believe that when I asked about this situation earlier this year, I got the info that led me to my erroneous belief and I didn't want others to have to experience that) is a problem. But yeah, you definitely are 100% right.
She might not have offered Family Boarding because technically it's meant for 6 and under with you having a child older than that. There are reports that kids older than 6 have boarded with Family Boarding especially when they have those younger siblings who qualify with no issues and you've already reported that you did that but that could be why the gate agent did not. I'm sure some gate agents might suggest it but they aren't under an obligation to as it goes against SWA's official policy. Their policy only speaks to 2 adults can board with a child 6 and under. I don't mean to spark a debate on that but just to say I can understand why the gate agent didn't suggest it.

I don't know that she was doing it to be less than helpful. It's also kind of hard for the gate agent to rectify a situation like had been done because it was how the tickets were purchased.

I think your mistake was just the Business Select purchase and I'm not sure what the prior comments were on that here on this thread but yeah you can't piggy back off of each other since those Boarding assignments are a main perk of it. If people could just purchase one Business Select but have others board with them you know many people would lol. What you might have been able to do was purchase Upgraded Boarding at the gate for your 5 year old had there been any spots left in the Business Select A1-A15 of course that would have been more money.

I do appreciate you coming back on here to give your experience for others to know and I do think you were quite understanding that a oops had occurred :flower3:

On our most recent flight I received a late B boarding group number, and since my son is 9, didn’t qualify for family boarding. We got to the last row of seats where there were three empty seats together and just as we were about to sit down, a flight attendant told me the seats were reserved for another family making a connection. While my son is 9, he might be able to sit alone, but I prefer to sit with him. I didn’t make a big deal out of it, but another passenger asked what the difference was between us and the other family. No response was given, but another gentleman voluntarily gave up his seats so me and my son could sit together. If you must sit with your child, I don’t even think a B boarding is a guarantee that things will be smooth sailing. This experience has now made me at least look at other airlines where I can actually purchase a reserved seat.

a flight attendant told me the seats were reserved for another family making a connection.
I've not ever had that happened. Wonder if there were some issues that made the family miss the connection that SWA was trying to make up for? Only reason I can think of as it wouldn't be standard procedure for SWA FA's to actually hold seats themselves.

I've not ever had that happened. Wonder if there were some issues that made the family miss the connection that SWA was trying to make up for? Only reason I can think of as it wouldn't be standard procedure for SWA FA's to actually hold seats themselves.
Yeah , could’ve been, but I was actually trying to avoid confrontation with the flight attendant. I wanted to get home lol. A couple of nice people made it all better, but I also thought it was weird that they had reserved seats for a family.

Yeah , could’ve been, but I was actually trying to avoid confrontation with the flight attendant. I wanted to get home lol. A couple of nice people made it all better, but I also thought it was weird that they had reserved seats for a family.
I would think it would be weird too but would have done exactly as you not really wanting that sort of confrontation. I asked my husband just now and he's never heard of it happening either out of all the flights he's been on. I totally get though why that experience would make you look around at other airlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter