• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

They expire 1 year after the day they were booked.
😢😢😢 I was hoping to use at least 2 of them for December flights. So my price stalking did me no good bc I’m going to lose it all anyway. Dang it. 🤦‍♀️. Lesson learned I guess

You are referring to the red change banner that is visible when viewing your reservation on the app or gray banner when viewing on Southwest’s website. You can check to see if your reservation is affected by opening your reservation online, as if making a change. If there is no banner when viewing the details, the option to change your flight with no change in fare is not available for your itinerary. Check every day. You have three days from when the banner first appears to make a change. The new flight must be within 30 days of the original and show seats available, as well as have the same city pairs.

Southwest currently is allowing changes on June flights, thru a little more than mid-month.

Yes, that’s what it’s called! I haven’t actually purchased my tickets yet so I guess I’m out of luck with knowing if my flight is eligible.

We are only flying in August. What’s been the trend in ticket prices? Should I hold off a few more weeks before purchasing? I haven’t flown in a few years, but the last time I did fly, I purchased tickets about six to eight weeks before. Is that still the best time to purchase tickets?

Last edited:
The red change banner is showing again for my trip that is May 30-June 8. check your flights if you were hoping to take advantage of this.

Yes, that’s what it’s called! I haven’t actually purchased my tickets yet so I guess I’m out of luck with knowing if my flight is eligible.

We are only flying in August. What’s been the trend in ticket prices? Should I hold off a few more weeks before purchasing? I haven’t flown in a few years, but the last time I did fly, I purchased tickets about six to eight weeks before. Is that still the best time to purchase tickets?
I personally always find that flights are the cheapest the day they are released; if I were you, look to see what your flight is and if you are comfortable with it, then buy it. Good thing with Southwest is you can get credits if your flight does drop. Trends for ticket prices are kind of all over the place this year!!

Stumbled upon this "red banner" sale today when I was checking flight prices! We just changed to an earlier departure flight out of a closer airport for no cost. Also changed our flight back to the closer airport for no cost. Price differences for the 6 of us was $690 but cost us $0!!! :)

The red change banner is showing again for my trip that is May 30-June 8. check your flights if you were hoping to take advantage of this.
Stumbled upon this "red banner" sale today when I was checking flight prices! We just changed to an earlier departure flight out of a closer airport for no cost. Also changed our flight back to the closer airport for no cost. Price differences for the 6 of us was $690 but cost us $0!!! :)
I posted about the current change banner appearing last Friday. Since changes are allowed within three days of the banner being attached to a reservation (not when the customer first notices it), I highly recommend that anyone wanting to make a change do so today, if the banner appears for your flight. Last week, the banner vanished on Monday, from reservations that had a banner over the weekend.

Southwest has been pushing the banner change window out, every week or two. However, if bookings continue to be strong, the banner notifications should eventually stop. We just don't know when that will occur.

@scrappinginontario, do you know how likely it is for SW to change their fare release date from June 10? I am considering taking off from work that day to book our flights, but wondering if I should wait until it gets a little closer....

Thank you!!

@scrappinginontario, do you know how likely it is for SW to change their fare release date from June 10? I am considering taking off from work that day to book our flights, but wondering if I should wait until it gets a little closer....

Thank you!!

Dates for releasing the schedule have changed multiple times - sometimes it gets moved up and sometimes it gets moved back. Just keep checking the site or here to see if it changes.

Thank you!!
I honestly don't know. Last time they moved it once - closer by about 3 weeks. I agree with @LadybugsMum to wait until closer to the date if you want to take a day off and have the flexibility to book it once it's closer. Everything is different right now, including flight release dates.

Does anyone know how to view the details of current promotions? For example, spend this much with the Southwest Credit Card during these dates and earn 20% bonus points.

Does anyone know how to view the details of current promotions? For example, spend this much with the Southwest Credit Card during these dates and earn 20% bonus points.
I have only seen them in my RR account. There is a “my promotions” section. Nothing like that currently, for me anyway.

No, it should follow as long as you change, not cancel & your cities stay the same. However, there is debate about if your place in line changes when you change your flight. Your place in the check in line is determined by when you purchase the EBCI. Some posters say if you make a change, you’ll have the date you made the change as your effective date for the EBCI.
Thank you, very good to know!

I have checked my flights for June daily and also frequently pretended to book the same dates to see if they added any better times. I have done this daily since the red banner went up. Well I just checked and my flights were unchanged BUT when I pretended to book new flights for my dates I noticed my flight out on the 16th no longer is listed and they have a new nonstop flight an hour earlier. I figure today is the end of the red banner (and kind of think this was a little dirty that they didn’t change the schedule until today) so I changed my outgoing flight to the hour earlier nonstop one. I kept getting an error message and was on hold to talk to someone when it finally went through. I prefer the new time but then had to email Tony Hinds to see if he can provide our ride an hour early (or we can just wait at the airport until our original arrival time). I think it is pretty rude that southwest didn’t have any of the changes until the 3rd day of the red banner. Maybe they would have switched us to the same flight I switched us to - or maybe they wouldn’t have. I am now wondering if they will make any changes for our return flight June 20. Wanna get away fares are sold out so I am guessing that flight is pretty full but who knows?

Southwest cancelled my 12/31 flight departing at 7:00am ......the notification they were cancelling it came at 3am just four hours before it was leaving.....then a notification two minutes later that they “rebooked” us on 1/02.....that’s right we missed our New Year’s Eve plans so I’m glad you were checking and got the flight you wanted! I’m so paranoid about our flight in six days I’m compulsively checking.

I have checked my flights for June daily and also frequently pretended to book the same dates to see if they added any better times. I have done this daily since the red banner went up. Well I just checked and my flights were unchanged BUT when I pretended to book new flights for my dates I noticed my flight out on the 16th no longer is listed and they have a new nonstop flight an hour earlier. I figure today is the end of the red banner (and kind of think this was a little dirty that they didn’t change the schedule until today) so I changed my outgoing flight to the hour earlier nonstop one. I kept getting an error message and was on hold to talk to someone when it finally went through. I prefer the new time but then had to email Tony Hinds to see if he can provide our ride an hour early (or we can just wait at the airport until our original arrival time). I think it is pretty rude that southwest didn’t have any of the changes until the 3rd day of the red banner. Maybe they would have switched us to the same flight I switched us to - or maybe they wouldn’t have. I am now wondering if they will make any changes for our return flight June 20. Wanna get away fares are sold out so I am guessing that flight is pretty full but who knows?
I read your post so I hurried over to check my flights and sure enough our return flight has been moved from 1:20 PM to 4PM. I'm not upset about that. I wanted to leave later. The latest return time was too late at 9 PM and 1:20 was kind of early so the change works for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter