Possible World Drive expansion to mystery land buy out by Disney.

Diz Bee

Mouseketeer
In December Disney purchased 1000 acres behind Celebration Fl, and now in January Disney purchased another 1500 acres next to it. 2500 acres is 3 square miles of mystery. The property is also near the new Sun Rail station. From what I’ve heard, from a friend of a friend, Disney has been planning an expansion of World Drive to this area. Apparently this move has been in the planning stages for several years. What goes in this area is the question. Is it part of the Sun Rail expansion? Is this going to be the Disney rail stop? Is it going to be something bigger?

Last edited:
FWIW Screamacape thinks Disney is going to leave this undeveloped, allowing development of land currently designated as undeveloped.

FWIW Screamacape thinks Disney is going to leave this undeveloped, allowing development of land currently designated as undeveloped.

Hmm. Does this mean that Disney is required to leave a certain percentage of their land undeveloped and they are encroaching on that percentage? That is interesting.

Hmm. Does this mean that Disney is required to leave a certain percentage of their land undeveloped and they are encroaching on that percentage? That is interesting.
Yup. I don’t remember what the exact percentage is, but they have to keep a certain amount as conservation land

I read that the land was to be used for a water reclamation district, possibly allowing them to build more development in the area they currently own.

I know there has been statements made that this area was going to stay undeveloped and/or be used for possible water management, but I have received really reliable insider information that this area including the World Drive expansion has been surveyed over the past 2 years. Is it possible Disney does nothing with this area? Of course... but there is obviously something brewing in the early stages.

What goes in this area is the question. Is it part of the Sun Rail expansion? Is this going to be the Disney rail stop? Is it going to be something bigger?

SunRail has nothing to do with any of this, other than simply being in that location. SunRail is strictly commuter rail. It doesn't even operate on weekend or holiday.

With the possible exception of the Kissimmiee Amtrak station, no one visiting Walt Disney World wants to go anywhere SunRail goes. (If unfamiliar, SunRail does not go to either area airport.)

SunRail has nothing to do with any of this, other than simply being in that location. SunRail is strictly commuter rail. It doesn't even operate on weekend or holiday.

With the possible exception of the Kissimmiee Amtrak station, no one visiting Walt Disney World wants to go anywhere SunRail goes. (If unfamiliar, SunRail does not go to either area airport.)

Good to know. If it went to airports that would be different.

I read that the land was to be used for a water reclamation district, possibly allowing them to build more development in the area they currently own.
That's what I've read as well, and that makes the most sense since they've done that before with land adjacent to what they just purchased.

If one goes to the internet machine and googles on the inter webs things like “Brightline to expand from Miami to Tampa” or “Disney World may get a train station to the airport” or “Sun Rail to expand to MCO”, you may find things that may happen in the future. Sure sun rail doesn’t go to the airport and sure Brightline doesn’t go to Tampa but, people plan things.

Sorry so snarky this morning... I can’t get to where I have to go this morning due to marathon weekend.
So the point I was trying to make is...
-Sun Rail MAYBE expanding to MCO.
-Brightline MAYBE expanding from Miami to Tampa with a stop at MCO and Disney World.
-Disney MAYBE expanding World Drive to this new purchased area.

These are all projects very very early in development but, all three entities are currently playing around with numbers and figuring out if this is a viable project to consider moving forward. If they decide to go forward with it... we’re probably talking 10 years till completion?

Maybe nothing will come of it at all.
Don’t lose the fun part of rumors!
These 3 entities are spending money and dreaming up something.
“If you can dream it, you can build it.”

This land is nearly 100% wetlands, and is really not developable. The Brown property has already had a lot of background work down to turn it into a mitigation bank. Sunrail is not expanding to Disney. The Brightline Rail from MCO to Tampa is in the planning stages and has a planned connection to Sunrail at MeadowWoods Station, and a possible station at the northwestern corner of World Drive, which was the original planned station for the High Speed Rail project proposed and then Killed by Governor Scott back in 2012. It has not been approved to be built and is currently under evaluation by FDOT for compatability with the build-out of I-4. THere is no guarantee it will be approved in the current form or any form. There is no plan to expand World Drive, as much of that property south of Celebration is already held by the South Florida Water Management District as conservation land. This area along Reedy Creek has always been important to Disney because the master control for their entire Water Mangement System on property is on Reedy Creeek within this property. One of the lost components to developing additional land within the existing WDW Resort is called Flood Plain Compensation - which means that developing and filling in wetlands on the existing property not only have to be mitigated for the wetland impacts, but also compensated for those areas that are filled in that are within the 10 year floodplain by providing additional areas at this same elevation within the floodplain. These last 2 purchases will provided plenty of additional floodplain compensation to allow for development on the current property.

This land is nearly 100% wetlands, and is really not developable. The Brown property has already had a lot of background work down to turn it into a mitigation bank. Sunrail is not expanding to Disney. The Brightline Rail from MCO to Tampa is in the planning stages and has a planned connection to Sunrail at MeadowWoods Station, and a possible station at the northwestern corner of World Drive, which was the original planned station for the High Speed Rail project proposed and then Killed by Governor Scott back in 2012. It has not been approved to be built and is currently under evaluation by FDOT for compatability with the build-out of I-4. THere is no guarantee it will be approved in the current form or any form. There is no plan to expand World Drive, as much of that property south of Celebration is already held by the South Florida Water Management District as conservation land. This area along Reedy Creek has always been important to Disney because the master control for their entire Water Mangement System on property is on Reedy Creeek within this property. One of the lost components to developing additional land within the existing WDW Resort is called Flood Plain Compensation - which means that developing and filling in wetlands on the existing property not only have to be mitigated for the wetland impacts, but also compensated for those areas that are filled in that are within the 10 year floodplain by providing additional areas at this same elevation within the floodplain. These last 2 purchases will provided plenty of additional floodplain compensation to allow for development on the current property.

All valid points but, the first initial 900 or so acres purchased is actually a cattle farm that was set up for development of some kind already by a previous housing developer. So that 900 acres is not considered wetlands.

All valid points but, the first initial 900 or so acres purchased is actually a cattle farm that was set up for development of some kind already by a previous housing developer. So that 900 acres is not considered wetlands.

Anything is possible I suppose, even a 5th gate in the long term future. I really doubt any plans are in place right now, but anything could be being worked on in secret.
I saw the land purchase as a smart move for future development. They could build there or build more on property now, or they could leave it undeveloped and shown how much they care about the environment. With all their focus on 2021 and Star Wars, though, in wouldn't expect too much too soon.

Did I read somewhere that Iger said parks are back on top of revenue for Disney? They are spending more on parks for sure. who know..

A couple years ago Disney bought 3000 acres of land down towards Osceola County for this specific reason. Until I hear otherwise I am assuming the recent land purchases are for the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter