Portfino Bay Hotel

Cyndi38

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a trip that included Universal, IOA and all four Disney Parks. We had a terriffic time and each place we visited had its own special ride or attraction. My children are 15, 13 and 9. We also had grandparents and another family of 5 (children same ages) with us. Portfino was wonderful and well worth a few extra dollars to get front of the line access all day, every day and at $160 a night it was well worth it to get to use our hotel pass on all three days we were there and simply walk onto a ride. We figured between parking costs for two days and FOTL for two days with every one night stay it averaged out to be well worth it! Several times I noticed that Universal Express was closed for rides and yet the portfino card was still good to walk right on. My nine year old never got tired of the rides and we loved being able to go on a paticular ride over and over again without having to wait. We would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. It was wonderful to step out of our room, get on the boat and be in the parks in nothing flat. We could sleep in and not have to worry about how long the lines would be etc. The only hard part was we did two days at Univ. & IOA and then went to Disney for four days then back to Univ & IOA. The kids kept asking for a way to do FOTL at Disney....but fast pass and getting up early there helped tremendously.

Getting so excited...going to be there in 10 more days!

Hey Cyndi, welcome back! Glad to hear you had such a great trip. We'll be at PBH in a couple of weeks with our kids 9,5, and 5months. Did you find the hotel kid friendly? Can you tell some of the places you ate, what kind of room you had, etc. We are really getting excited, this will be our first trip to USF, IOA. How were the crowds in the parks? Thanks for the help!!

Hi lovethemouse,
We stayed at Portofino in December. I have 2 children 3 qnd 7 years old. They loved this hotel and keep asking when we can go back! They say it is their Favorite! They loved the campo portofino.We found it to be deluxe and kid friendly both. They have a character dinner at Trattoria del Porto on Monday and Wednesday 6:30-9:30P. Food was great and the characters were terrific. On Thursdays they have a magician and on saturdays they have a balloonist. We also ate at Sal's (brickoven pizza) it was excellent! One night without the kids (they went to camp) we ate at Mama Della's and had a delicious Italian meal.
The breakfasts at the Trattoria are buffet or menu and they offer many selections and it was all yummy! Make sure you visit the Gelateria at least once...incredible gelato and coffee's. We had reserved a gardenview room and with our Loews card got an upgrade at check-in to a Villa Suite.
Have a wonderful Trip!!! :D

jessica5.gif

I have a question for ya! We booked at the Portofino in May for 3 nights. I got the "Entertainment Card" rate of $160. I also have the "Loews Card". You said you used the "Lowes Card" and got an upgrade. Did you also have the "Entertainment Card" discount as well? I am trying to figure out if we will be able to get an upgrade with the discount. I thought we would just casually get in the Loews registration line and see what happens. Would like your imput. Thanks a bunch! ;)

JIMI.gif

At Disney, there is a four year minimum for children to attend at their camps/babysitting. Is Camp Portfino a similar babysitting service and will they accept three-year olds? I hope that HRH will have the same service when we are there in a few weeks.
Thanks for your input.

Dad of 3

Hi uneamie,

When we booked Portofino Universal Vacations had a terrific package buy 3 nights get 4th free. I did not use entertainment card for my trip. I would do exactly what you plan to do! Check in using Loews check in line. Request your upgrade and see what happens. I recall reading a post or two from people that did get an upgrade using entertainment rate. Maybe do a search on this site to find them. Good Luck...I hope you get the upgrade!
:D

Dad of 3,

Portofino and Hard Rock both have the same policy 4 and up for the camps. I hate saying this does it make me bad? but...when I called and made the ressie for the camp I said I had a 4 and a 7 year old! My 3 year old is potty trained (long time) and I knew we wouldnt have any accidents and this is after all the reason for 4 and up. Okay now the evening we are to drop them off my husband decided to let me get ready and he would bring them down. I forgot to tell him I said he was 4!! Soooo he comes back to the room and says "how old is our son"? I said Uh oh!!! He said when the woman asked the ages again he told them 3 and 7 and the woman said I thought he was 4? My husband said well he is almost 4. Her main concern was that he was potty trained. Before everyone thinks bad of me...He will be four in 2 months. So I fudged it a bit!! I wanted an evening out! :rolleyes: So Dad of 3 how close to 4 is your little one??

jessica5.gif

Thank-you Jessica,
You should get an award for the fastest poster.
My wife and I had quite the chuckle on your response. I say he is four, but my wife says he is still three. He is potty trained but we can have an occasional accident, anyway our 11 year old can take care of him. Since we will only be going to citywalk, they can call us if there is any problems and we will be there in a few minutes. But we will work this out.

Thanks again for your response, I am still snickering.

Dad of 3. :)

You are very welcome Dad of 3 :D One more mention about the camps. They give you a beeper so should there be a problem they can page you.

jessica5.gif

I just wanted to mention in regards to using both the Loews card and the Entertainment Rate I was just persistent. When I made the reservation I mentioned the fact that I was a Loews member. When I checked in I reminded them of this since it wasn't noted on the reservation. We did get the upgrade without any problems but we went out for the day and when we got back to the room no milk and cookies... So I called the guest services. Almost an hour later I called them again and they said the front desk didn't allow them to do the cookies and milk or paper because of the discounted rate. I called downstairs and explained "You don't change the rules midstream and I would appreciate you following through with what I was told"...a few minutes later there was a knock on the door and milk and cookies for the kids. I'd say by persistent and document everything. I realize it's a great rate but at $160 they could still afford the milk and cookies. I also wanted to mention we ate ice cream there that was wonderful at a little shop down by the water. The pools are unbelievable. I've never seen a pool surrounded by white sand and even though it was too cold to swim we can't wait to return. Hope this helps someone else.

Uneamie... Sorry I forgot-very kid friendly! Your kids will love it. We ate mostly at the parks but I heard several people comment on how wonderful the Italian restaurant was there at the hotel.

I appreciate your response to my questions. I guess I should have them note on my reservation that I have a "Loews Card". Yes, I think I'll do that. So looking forward to the Portofino that even if we don't get the upgrade I think we will be very pleased. Tootles !Uneamie

JIMI.gif
null

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!