Portable Speaker / Sonos Move - Prohibited? What happens to prohibited items?

james_folds_five

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

Myself and my partner will be heading on a 3 night cruise in September and I had a couple of questions!

1) Are portable speakers allowed on the cruise ships? The particular speaker in question is a Sonos Move
We won't be using on the ship but are staying in a villa for 2 weeks with the family before hand.

2) If the answer is no - is there a place to leave it at port? What happens to prohibited items at the port? We were hoping to order some Magic Candle Co. candles while we are in the states :)

3) We are actually staying at Boardwalk the night before the cruise and have transfers booked with Disney. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge for a night after the cruise - is it a possibility to have luggage transferred from one hotel, ready to collect at the next after the cruise I wonder? This would remove the need to take prohibited items to the port!

Thank you!

At the port, they will take your prohibited items, give you a receipt and then you can pick everything up when you disembark. My DS won a basketball on the Boardwalk before our cruise - it was a prohibited item, so they just kept it and we picked it up as we got off the ship - it was a pretty easy process.

At the port, they will take your prohibited items, give you a receipt and then you can pick everything up when you disembark. My DS won a basketball on the Boardwalk before our cruise - it was a prohibited item, so they just kept it and we picked it up as we got off the ship - it was a pretty easy process.
I wonder how that work for repositioning cruises...

Yah, I feel like we took one for our room on the last trip. They confiscated a tea-pot or something we had (not planning to use, but had from a prior hotel night), but not the speaker. They just leave a note in the suitecase and it’s on a table as you disembark. Took exactly 30 seconds to claim. I wouldn’t worry about it.

We brought a rather large Bluetooth speaker on Fantasy, 7/21. It’s probably the size of a house brick. I didn’t see exclusions for it on the website, and they didn’t confiscate it. I did voluntarily hand off our electric kettle and my Swiss Army knife.

We have taken our Sonos Roam on probably 10 Disney Cruises with no problem at all. We always use it in the Cabana on Castaway Cay.

From prohibited items FAQ:
  • Electronics
    • Ham radios
    • Metal detectors
    • Streaming Devices (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.)
I am sure that a bluetooth speaker could be considered a streaming device and could be banned depending on who you are asking. I would think if not banned it would be ok to use as long as it is in a private space where other passengers don't hear it as Yensid29 said in a Cabana on Castaway Cay

We took our Bose Bluetooth speaker on the EBTA cruise in May and played it almost everyday on our verandah. So yes, you can bring one.

We took our Bose Bluetooth speaker on the EBTA cruise in May and played it almost everyday on our verandah. So yes, you can bring one.
I'm not sure how to react to the idea of someone using a speaker on their verandah. I suppose if I heard Strauss waltzes coming from next door I'd enjoy it, and if I was hearing gangster rap I'd be furious. Not sure if you can limit the sound to enjoy your verandah without intruding on someone else's verandah. (Guess you got lucky that no one objected.)

• Electronics
    • Ham radios
    • Metal detectors
    • Streaming Devices (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.)
I am sure that a bluetooth speaker could be considered a streaming device and could be banned depending on who you are asking. I would think if not banned it would be ok to use as long as it is in a private space where other passengers don't hear it as Yensid29 said in a Cabana on Castaway Cay
Streaming devices are banned because DCL does not want things being plugged into the TVs

• Electronics
    • Ham radios
    • Metal detectors
No, you can't stream through a bluetooth speaker, but a device that is capable of playing streamed video, (such as a cell phone) can also be connected to a bluetooth speaker. We brought ours bluetooth speaker onboard in March with no problems but ended up not even using it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter