Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had booked a preferred room and requested that, if possible, we be assigned to one of two particular preferred buildings. We also asked for a second floor, corner room. I also made a note that, if it all possible, we would be thrilled to avoid a view of any parking lots. We ended up receiving a room in one of the buildings we had asked for, as well as a second floor, corner room. We were far from any parking lots, as we had a river view from out both windows. Just loved every single thing about our location, couldn't have asked for anything better. Best of luck with everyone else planning to try for a few requests! :)

Now me and my mom stayed there in September and had the exact opposite experience. We booked a garden view room and fax requested first floor (mom has mobility issues), as close to the main building as possible (understanding that I didn't book preferred). Received a second floor as far away as possible from the main building - building 36.
It took a while of us begging the CM to look for anything else because mom can't do stairs at all. She was then able to offer us 38 (but it was still second floor no real difference) and then finally a ground floor in 26 - which was perfect.

WE LOVED POR! It's now our favorite resort and we will probably just book a river view next time because that should help with the distance thing.

Here are the 3 answers we have been given in the past.
1) No - Resort is totally booked
2)12:00 - This by far is what we normally get told
3) 1:00 (rare only during real slow times)

I would just leave your bags with bell service and go have fun for a few hours.

I have asked for late check out twice and have received two of the above answers. This past October I was told that since the resort was fully booked they could not accommodate a late check out and the year before they offered 12:00. Hope you have a great time!

How late can we request to check out? Should we put that on our fax request, as well? Our flight home isn't until 8:15pm (DME around 5:15pm, I would imagine), but standard check-out time is 11am. I'm not sure what we'll do between the time we have to be out of our room, and when it's time for us to board DME back to the airport. I suppose we could leave our luggage with bell services and then make one last trip to DTD for a late lunch & last minute souvenirs before we have to leave; I was just curious. Thanks!

(I feel like I'm way overthinking this trip, lol. :upsidedow)

We usually have a 6:55pm flight home, so a 4ish DME. We usually go to a park our last day when we have a late DME. I think this trip we will head off to AK.
Do early morning Bags airline check, leave carry on with Bell service and go to AK. Plan B is to have a sleep in day, then head to DTD for lunch.

We plan on returning to ️POR an hour before DME to grab some snacks for the plane home. It's a 6 hr direct flight. We will pick up a dinner to pack at airport since 3 hrs is just too long to have sandwiches Unrefrigerated.

Great, glad you found them useful.

I did an update on the building floorplan maps recently by the way, in case anyone wants to download the newer versions from www.portorleans.org/floorplans.php.

Some of the connecting rooms were not indicated correctly (specifically those with certain types of Accessible features) and also the resort let me know a few extra rooms with Connecting doors that were not previously listed on their master document.

Generally no, most rooms are assigned on the guest's checkin day, using the Ready Room system. That happens a few hours before you are due to arrive if you have done Online Checkin, or when you actually get to the front desk if you have not.

Even if rooms are pre-blocked (for special requests or larger groups for example) they won't normally give out that information out until the room is actually vacated and ready for the new guest, just in case something has to change at the last minute (for example if there is a problem with cleaning a room, or a previous guest has not yet checked out, etc).

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 'Direct to Room' checkin trials that were carried out earlier in the year were deemed to be generally successful, and there are plans to roll the service out permanently early in the new year. There will be a few tweaks made to the system before it goes live again, and I'll let everyone know when I know more.

It will remain optional of course - anyone who prefers to check in at the front desk rather than being texted with their room number just prior to their arrival will always be able to do so.

Andre

Andre, does this mean now we'll just get a room open at check in over our room requests? I have always left unchecked the box that says prefer getting first room open rather then requests. I don't mind waiting for a room that fits my requests :confused3

Hello DISers!

I will admit I did not read all 210 pages of this thread, but I did try to scroll through some of the pages to look for my answer. I apologize if this has been covered.

I am planning a trip in Nov 2105 and will be staying at POR. I stayed there once before in 2010 in one of the Mansion Buildings (Acadian or Magnolia). Anyway, for the next trip I am considering one of the Royal Rooms bc I think they look cook and my daughter would love it. But how do you get to those rooms? :confused3 Looking at the map, it seems like there is not a quick or easy way to get there. And which bus stop is best?

Hello DISers!

I will admit I did not read all 210 pages of this thread, but I did try to scroll through some of the pages to look for my answer. I apologize if this has been covered.

I am planning a trip in Nov 2105 and will be staying at POR. I stayed there once before in 2010 in one of the Mansion Buildings (Acadian or Magnolia). Anyway, for the next trip I am considering one of the Royal Rooms bc I think they look cook and my daughter would love it. But how do you get to those rooms? :confused3 Looking at the map, it seems like there is not a quick or easy way to get there. And which bus stop is best?

There is a footbridge that leads right from the Marina area over to the buildings where the Royal Rooms are located. We stayed in one last August, and it was really easy to get to from the main building. About a 5 minute walk to our room in Oak Manor. We always used the East Depot for catching the bus, it wasn't far from Oak Manor at all. If you get put into the Parterre Place building, depending on where your room is located, it might be closer to use the South Depot.

Andre, does this mean now we'll just get a room open at check in over our room requests? I have always left unchecked the box that says prefer getting first room open rather then requests. I don't mind waiting for a room that fits my requests :confused3

If you indicate that you'd prefer requests to be honoured over having a room ready when you arrive, then that should still work for you.

The Ready Room system has been used for several years now anyway, I guess on the basis that most people* don't tend to make lots of requests, and they would prefer to have a room to settle in to as soon as they arrive.

Andre

* "most people" meaning the 90% of guests who just book and turn up, as opposed to us DISers/etc who tend to have a whole different level of expectations. :)

I am planning a trip in Nov 2105 and will be staying at POR.

Wow! Planning 90 years into the future! :-D

Edit: just noticed your screen name, greets from west of The Delaware River! Do you still strut down Broad Street on New Year's?

Serious question: about how far is the walk from The Riverside side to The FQ food court?

I just cancelled with POR. I booked with a agency I saw mentioned in another thread on here and they got me in Boardwalk Inn Resort for $200 more total. Couldn't believe it! Always wanted deluxe. :cheer2:

Edit: just noticed your screen name, greets from west of The Delaware River! Do you still strut down Broad Street on New Year's?

Serious question: about how far is the walk from The Riverside side to The FQ food court?

2105- that's right! I am the ULTIMATE PLANNER! :rotfl2: I'm not even going to fix it because that is funny! (obvious typo-2015!)

I am still a mummer. NYD 2015 will be my 20th parade.

From the main building 10 to 15 depending on how fast you walk. DH and I walk from POFQ to POR several times every trip. Even on our trip last week when we where coming from/to building 1 in POFQ it wasn't a long walk.

Nice! Which division? Don't have to say which club, anonymity and all. I'm going to miss the parade this year, as I'll be high stepping it in The Happiest Place on Earth, but I'll find time to watch some of The Mummers, if I can find it on TV. But I'll definitely have a Wawa Hoagie down in WDW in your honor! :cheers:

From the main building 10 to 15 depending on how fast you walk. DH and I walk from POFQ to POR several times every trip. Even on our trip last week when we where coming from/to building 1 in POFQ it wasn't a long walk.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Need a beignet, or 5...

If you indicate that you'd prefer requests to be honoured over having a room ready when you arrive, then that should still work for you.

The Ready Room system has been used for several years now anyway, I guess on the basis that most people* don't tend to make lots of requests, and they would prefer to have a room to settle in to as soon as they arrive.

Andre

* "most people" meaning the 90% of guests who just book and turn up, as opposed to us DISers/etc who tend to have a whole different level of expectations. :)
:laughing: thanks Andre! Just did my online check in today. I got confused with the choice of 2nd floor or top floor :confused3 because some parts of the buildings are only 2 floors and some are 3? I have a GV room so which would be better to check?
On my room requests on res I have Oak Manor request. Nice on the online check in the other option is corner room. But the floor thing stumped me. I want to be as close to river path as possible.

I just cancelled with POR. I booked with a agency I saw mentioned in another thread on here and they got me in Boardwalk Inn Resort for $200 more total. Couldn't believe it! Always wanted deluxe. :cheer2:
Congrats!! Love the Epcot area

:laughing: thanks Andre! Just did my online check in today. I got confused with the choice of 2nd floor or top floor :confused3

If you want top floor, just tick that. But to be honest the Online Checkin tick-boxes aren't a lot of help, I'd suggest a more detailed request in your reservation, or in writing by fax 3-5 days out, might be better.

Andre

If you want top floor, just tick that. But to be honest the Online Checkin tick-boxes aren't a lot of help, I'd suggest a more detailed request in your reservation, or in writing by fax 3-5 days out, might be better.

Andre

Ok. I do have detailed requests on my reservation, and I'll also fax. 99% of the time they do get me what I requested. Super team at ️POR ::yes::

Nice! Which division? Don't have to say which club, anonymity and all. I'm going to miss the parade this year, as I'll be high stepping it in The Happiest Place on Earth, but I'll find time to watch some of The Mummers, if I can find it on TV. But I'll definitely have a Wawa Hoagie down in WDW in your honor! :cheers:

I'm in a string band..... one of the co-ed ones since I am a female. ;) Remember- Ch 17 does a live streaming of the parade on their website!!

2105- that's right! I am the ULTIMATE PLANNER! :rotfl2: I'm not even going to fix it because that is funny! (obvious typo-2015!)

Love the Mummers, I work in Philly...will think of you on Jan 1, 2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter