Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though the comforters were pretty to look at..this germaphobe will be happy to not have to deal with unwashed bedding. It would be nice if the sheets were a pale blue, or green... something that would still show unwanted stains, bedbugs, etc.. but would also blend into the theme of the room. Maybe they could even just add a blanket of some light color that would be easy to wash with the rest of the sheets.

Just left yesterday after a week in Magnolia Terrace with the pretty blue/gold heavy bedspreads. They look lovely but are not cozy by any means. It often was kicked to floor due to the weight pulling itself off one side it it moved to far in one direction.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We arrive in 6 days- YAY! I do have one question- we plan on eating at the Poly one night, and assume the easier way to get back to POR is take the monorail back to MK and then the bus "home"?

Well...the *easiest* way would be to just take a taxi. :)

Going the week of Thanksgiving in the POR Royal Guest rooms and really want a fridge and some warm blankets for the premium price. Wondering how to verify a fridge before placing Garden Grocer order?

We arrive in 6 days- YAY! I do have one question- we plan on eating at the Poly one night, and assume the easier way to get back to POR is take the monorail back to MK and then the bus "home"?

We took a cab from the Poly back to POR after our 8:00 dinner at Ohana. We asked the driver to take the "back" way that goes by the Wilderness Lodge. Roundtrip fare was $12 and some change plus we tipped of course. It was worth it to us not to have to fight the crowds at the Magic Kingdom after fireworks.

Regarding the white bedding, I like it because it seems cleaner and fresher to me but I do agree that the beds need a bed scarf at the foot to bring a bit of the resort theme to the bed and to make the bed look finished. I suspect those are coming soon because I don't think I have ever seen an all white bed in a hotel without a bed scarf for color. We were in a Royal Room at POR in September and, like many people, threw the heavy bedspreads on the floor. I don't like the idea that those big, heavy bedspreads aren't washed between guests. Yuck. :sick:

I'm so excited for you!!!!! We love POR & dinner at the POLY was fantastic. I agree with a PP... Take a cab... take a cab!! It was the best $15 (approx) we spent. Our reservation was around 8:30 after a full day @ AK so we were all exhausted. I can't imagine having to take disney transport after such a long day. Have a great vaca :)

This might have been asked already, but with the MB's being rolled out, I'm not totally comfortable that it will go smoothly. Can the front desk provide a list of charges, or amount spent against the MB's on request?

Though the comforters were pretty to look at..this germaphobe will be happy to not have to deal with unwashed bedding. It would be nice if the sheets were a pale blue, or green... something that would still show unwanted stains, bedbugs, etc.. but would also blend into the theme of the room. Maybe they could even just add a blanket of some light color that would be easy to wash with the rest of the sheets.

I agree with you. I like pretty things but not pests lol and they are easier to see with white sheets. We had an incident one year with something called carpet/ furniture pests and it was not good.im happy about lighter colors and no heavy blankets that are rarely laundered. We do a full bedbug check upon arrival no matter where we stay.

This might have been asked already, but with the MB's being rolled out, I'm not totally comfortable that it will go smoothly. Can the front desk provide a list of charges, or amount spent against the MB's on request?

Yes they can.

So happy to hear the big bedspreads will be gone. We immediately remove them and throw them in a closet. They just make my skin crawl knowing how dirty they are. We are staying in a royal room so I hope they have all been changed to the all white.

So happy to hear the big bedspreads will be gone. We immediately remove them and throw them in a closet. They just make my skin crawl knowing how dirty they are. We are staying in a royal room so I hope they have all been changed to the all white.

Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too?

Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation?

It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us.

Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now.

Andre
(I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)

(I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)

I totally agree with you, Andre. I am not happy about the themed bedspreads being removed. It just looks so plain and sterile with just sheets. And I can't imagine that the bedspreads get that dirty that washing them more than once a month or so is necessary. (Unless of course it's obvious that's something's been spilled on them.)

I totally agree with you, Andre. I am not happy about the themed bedspreads being removed. It just looks so plain and sterile with just sheets. And I can't imagine that the bedspreads get that dirty that washing them more than once a month or so is necessary. (Unless of course it's obvious that's something's been spilled on them.)

I am confused. Did I miss something saying they are not putting them back in the rooms? I am for leaving the rooms themed. Wow someone needs to clear this up.

Then why did they take them out?

I don't know honestly. I only heard of a few missing. I was thinking they were washing them in shifts, grabbing certain floors or buildings and washing them then moving on to another area next.

Hi all!
My whole family is going to be staying at POR this December! So it's going to be my mom and dad, me and my DH, my sis, her DH, her twin 5yo DS, and her 2yo DS. The trip was booked thru a TA and each family has its own ressie.
I have a few questions to make sure I have everything covered.
1. I am assuming that my sisters family will automatically be in AB since there are 5 of them??
2. I am going to be contacting the TA to link our ressies together, so we are not spread out at different ends of the resort. Should I also ask them to add any room requests at this time? Dad need a fridge for insulin, also would be great to be close to bus pickups. I know I read what buildings are best...gotta go back and find it! Lol
3. I believe I read its best to do online checkin, but don't put any requests in at that time. But is recommended to fax resort a few days before?
4. If faxing room request a few days before and our ressies are linked just send 1 fax listing all the ressies???

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance!! The boards have been so helpful!!!!!

Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too? Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation? It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us. Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now. Andre (I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)
Totally agree, Andre! I am 27 years old with two daughters and I was always taught that a little dirt won't hurt. I am not afraid of germs because they build our immunity systems. My girls are never sick and I think it's because we aren't constantly sanitizing. We do wash our hands but don't overdo it. Never even thought about the spreads until now, but I actually love how they make the room look. Our first trip to POR is in March and I told my husband I am kind of upset to see them go before we get to see them:( but he reminded me that we will be in Disney and our beds don't matter as long as we have somewhere to sleep lol

I'm not sure it's really a cleaning thing or a germ thing with bedspreads. Rather its a "WHAT is on the bedspreads, that people sit on and change socks on while getting ready for their day, and sleep on and eh-em on etc etc" thing. My son kept nearly sitting on the spread with his bare bum in the mornings, or leaning forward on the bed while pulling on pajama pants. That's ick for him and ick for future people after we checked out.

I wish they could do the lovely triple sheeting but with themed sheets. Just put the same rich design on a sheet and use that instead of plain white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter