Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
My whole family is going to be staying at POR this December! So it's going to be my mom and dad, me and my DH, my sis, her DH, her twin 5yo DS, and her 2yo DS. The trip was booked thru a TA and each family has its own ressie.
I have a few questions to make sure I have everything covered.
1. I am assuming that my sisters family will automatically be in AB since there are 5 of them??
2. I am going to be contacting the TA to link our ressies together, so we are not spread out at different ends of the resort. Should I also ask them to add any room requests at this time? Dad need a fridge for insulin, also would be great to be close to bus pickups. I know I read what buildings are best...gotta go back and find it! Lol
3. I believe I read its best to do online checkin, but don't put any requests in at that time. But is recommended to fax resort a few days before?
4. If faxing room request a few days before and our ressies are linked just send 1 fax listing all the ressies???

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance!! The boards have been so helpful!!!!!

Congratulations on your trip!

1. Yes, if the youngest is over 3.
2. You may in fact ask them to add your requests, but if you were to get more specific then you may want to fax in your requests via the template and info in my fax template thread.
3. You can do online check in if you'd like sometimes it has a faster pace through check in, sometimes it doesn't. But I would not do any requests on your check in because it could mess with anything you ask for in fax or over your TA. Faxes are best sent in 5-7 days out.
4. I would combine and mention both reservations in your fax and do one fax to cover both. It has a better chance of being understood and carried out.

27 days!!!! Woohoo! Anyway, I have done online check-in for our reservations but I can't do my IL's, even though they are linked. Is there any other way to do this, e.g., can I call and check-in? I also don't think I have any special requests on our reservations because when I changed our reservation from CBR to POR I had to do it so quick that I didn't give any special instructions. I transferred the reservation back to my T.A. so can I call back and add any special information now? Like I'd like a nearby room with IL's and it's going to be my dd's 10th birthday while we are there. Or should I just wait and do it all with a fax?

I do everything I can to be clean, and I think it is important to wash hands frequently and I believe in sanitizing hard surfaces in your room when beginning your resort stay, but if you think about it too much you will drive yourself crazy. When you think about where the pair of pants you put on in the morning sits throughout the day, (work, school, train, bus, restaurant, movie theater, etc.), on seats shared by thousands of other people, and then you come home and sit on your upholstered sofa. Now I would never sit on my bed in those same clothes, but in the evening I may put on my pjs and lay on my couch and watch tv or a movie, and then what happens next, I crawl into my nice clean bedding covered with germs from my couch. Or think about where your shoes have been all day, and unless you take your shoes off before entering your home, a little bit of everywhere you have been during the day comes into your home with you. And for those of you with young children and there little bare bottoms, how many times have they just gotten out of the bath, you wrap them in a towel and they run in and sit on the furniture or the carpet. I could go on and on, but as I said before, you could really drive yourself crazy if you obsess over it, because there are germs everywhere. It is really gross if you think about it. But it's life, and I choose to not be paranoid about it. Us humans have managed to survive all these years with germs, but I think it has become more of mental issue. For example, I do pull the heavy bed spread down in the resort room and do not use for sleeping because once you have seen those 2020 episodes where they use the black light to show bodily fluids left on the spreads, it kind of sticks with you. But I do enjoy the theming and hate to see them go.. It's just one more step into a sterile white world. And don't get me started on the bath towel! Using the same bath towel that hundreds of strangers have used before you is also gross if you think about it. We just have to hope they are laundered and sanitized properly. You can see I have given it a lot of thought, but I just can't dwell on it or else I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything. At least you can take comfort in knowing that Disney Resorts are mostly visited by families and not frequented by prostitutes and drug addicts. Sorry to ramble on, but it's just MHO.

Thanks Venomhatch!!
The youngest is actually going to be about 2 & 1/2. Does that make a big difference?

We really don't have a preference whether we stay at AB or MB. Would be nice to know so we can focus our room requests.

Subscribed to the fax thread as well. Again thank you!!

I am confused. Did I miss something saying they are not putting them back in the rooms? I am for leaving the rooms themed.

No, they are definitely gone. Plain white covers for all the beds now (although apparently there is some kind of coloured bed scarf planned for the foot of the beds, but delivery has been delayed by a month or two). AB is done, FQ is half done, and MB will be starting next week.

I've also just heard that this WILL apply to the Royal Rooms too by the way. Sorry folks, I was hoping that the theming there would at least be considered as being more of an important factor (in fact, it's what guests are paying extra for!) but apparently not.

I don't think this is inherently a Port Orleans problem by the way, it's some high-level corporate decision to just sheepishly follow current hotel-industry trends, but one which can't be vetoed on a resort-by-resort basis.

As I've said elsewhere (see my comments in the POFQ FAQ thread) I don't actually mind those very stiff, heavy bedspreads going away (I don't sleep under them anyway) just as long as they don't also do away with the theming elements at the same time. If I had wanted to stay in a modern anonymous corporate hotel chain, I'd have booked into the Marriott down the road - which is half the price of Port Orleans for larger rooms. But I didn't (and still don't) want that.

Andre

Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too?

Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation?

It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us.

Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now.

Andre
(I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)

I love your posts but this is a wee bit snarky.... You of course are allowed your opinion but to to make people feel dumb for giving theirs is not your usual norm. This thread has always stayed "classy", lets keep posting great things about POR! Enjoy your day everyone!

Thanks Venomhatch!!
The youngest is actually going to be about 2 & 1/2. Does that make a big difference?

We really don't have a preference whether we stay at AB or MB. Would be nice to know so we can focus our room requests.

Subscribed to the fax thread as well. Again thank you!!

No Problem... Glad to be of help!

No, they are definitely gone. Plain white covers for all the beds now (although apparently there is some kind of coloured bed scarf planned for the foot of the beds, but delivery has been delayed by a month or two). AB is done, FQ is half done, and MB will be starting next week.

I've also just heard that this WILL apply to the Royal Rooms too by the way. Sorry folks, I was hoping that the theming there would at least be considered as being more of an important factor (in fact, it's what guests are paying extra for!) but apparently not.

I don't think this is inherently a Port Orleans problem by the way, it's some high-level corporate decision to just sheepishly follow current hotel-industry trends, but one which can't be vetoed on a resort-by-resort basis.

As I've said elsewhere (see my comments in the POFQ FAQ thread) I don't actually mind those very stiff, heavy bedspreads going away (I don't sleep under them anyway) just as long as they don't also do away with the theming elements at the same time. If I had wanted to stay in a modern anonymous corporate hotel chain, I'd have booked into the Marriott down the road - which is half the price of Port Orleans for larger rooms. But I didn't (and still don't) want that.

Andre

Oh ok... I am going to PM you now.

I love your posts but this is a wee bit snarky.... You of course are allowed your opinion but to to make people feel dumb for giving theirs is not your usual norm.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel dumb (sorry if anyone might take it that way - just remember I'm a Brit, we're odd!). I was really just pointing out what would happen if we took the argument to its logical extreme I guess.

I'm not advocating being unnecessarily dirty either of course, but I'm just concerned that what appears to be happening is somewhat "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

Andre

We always remove hotel bedspreads as it is, but I agree that it detracts from the theming.

While I understand the frustration with the germophobic nature of society these days, as a mom of 3 kids, I am interested in trying to minimize our exposure to some things while on vacation. It isn't really the time I want to work on building up our immunity, TBH. Sure, day to day it is great to have those exposures to normal colds and illnesses, but vacation isn't the time I want to be trapped in a hotel room with 5 people and someone or several people sick with a stomach bug. On soft surfaces, noro can live for 2 weeks. So if a kid vomited in bed, had diarrhea in a diaper and was changed on the comforter, etc. then well, that can a large viral load for the family that shows up next. There's a big continuum between germophobia and taking reasonable precautions to try to keep your family well so they can perhaps have a better shot at staying healthy on vacation.

Just a few particles of norovirus are enough to make someone sick, and if that spreads through a family, that can be your whole vacation. While obviously you are exposed to lots of people and germs in the parks, if you are hanging out in a hotel room after someone else had a stomach bug, there's a decent chance you'll be exposed. Lysol and clorox wipes don't kill it (you really need a bleach solution of appropriate concentration or Lysol 3), and I don't know what they use to disinfect the resort rooms normally. Yes, I am one of those who will probably do a little disinfecting of our room when I arrive :confused3

I think there are legit reasons for a non germaphobic family to take some precautions while on vacation. They may not be as cautious in their day to day life, but I can see why they might use more caution than they do in their day to day life normally. I don't think that's pathological or anything. We are planning our first trip ever, and I'm not sure when/if we will get a chance to return. Yes, anything can happen and you can't prevent a lot of things, but using reasonable precautions in your hotel room doesn't seem out of line to me. My opinion may be colored by the fact that my 6yo just finished a 5 day stomach bug a week ago.

I get why some people don't give it a second thought, but I don't think it is unreasonable to try to take some easier measures to avoid illness, either :confused3

I think it is ridiculous. The rooms lose a lot of the theming without the bedspreads. If a person chooses not to use it, it is simple enough to remove. What next, no rugs? Bring your own bedding to every resort? Silliness.

I think it is ridiculous. The rooms lose a lot of the theming without the bedspreads. If a person chooses not to use it, it is simple enough to remove. What next, no rugs? Bring your own bedding to every resort? Silliness.

I agree.

As I've said elsewhere (see my comments in the POFQ FAyQ thread) I don't actually mind those very stiff, heavy bedspreads going away (I don't sleep under them anyway) just as long as they don't also do away with the theming elements at the same time. If I had wanted to stay in a modern anonymous corporate hotel chain, I'd have booked into the Marriott down the road - which is half the price of Port Orleans for larger rooms. But I didn't (and still don't) want that.

Andre

I think that is really sad. We were in our Royal Room about 2 weeks ago. Taking away those bedspreads is going to make a HUGE difference in appearance of the room. Think about those massive gorgeous headboards with fireworks on plain white sheets....yuck...I am very surprised to hear this. Glad we had them when we were there!

27 days!!!! Woohoo! Anyway, I have done online check-in for our reservations but I can't do my IL's, even though they are linked. Is there any other way to do this, e.g., can I call and check-in? I also don't think I have any special requests on our reservations because when I changed our reservation from CBR to POR I had to do it so quick that I didn't give any special instructions. I transferred the reservation back to my T.A. so can I call back and add any special information now? Like I'd like a nearby room with IL's and it's going to be my dd's 10th birthday while we are there. Or should I just wait and do it all with a fax?

Anyone?

We are planning a trip for February 5 - 12. I have a work conference the 5-7 at GF so we'll be doing a split stay and moving to POR on the 7th. My mom is also joining us at POR for the 7-12. I've stayed at GF and BC as a kid, but this will be my family's first time to stay at anything other than a value. Super excited! The kids will be 7, 4, and 11 months. It's going to be an interesting trip.

I'm nervous about transferring from GF to POR on Friday. Does anyone know how that works? Will we need to get a taxi or will there be some sort of Disney transportation?

I'm a Southern girl, so I completely understand that there isn't "normal" weather. There's always an exception. I also know that the pools are heated, but the outside air isn't. Is it really going to be warm enough to swim in February?

I'm sure I will have tons of questions later, but I think that's it for now.

Thanks!

Amy

(P.S. Andre - for what it's worth, I completely agree with you. I actually have a letter on file with my daughters' schools stating they are not allowed to use hand sanitizer. They have sinks available to wash hands. There's no point in using that crap that is just going to end up in their tummies killing off the good bacteria.)

TDDisney said:
I think that is really sad. We were in our Royal Room about 2 weeks ago. Taking away those bedspreads is going to make a HUGE difference in appearance of the room. Think about those massive gorgeous headboards with fireworks on plain white sheets....yuck...I am very surprised to hear this. Glad we had them when we were there!

I am disappointed as we booked a Royal Room for our upcoming trip in December & I feel it's definitely going to take away from the theming of the room :-(

Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too? Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation? It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us. Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now. Andre (I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)

Agreed. As a former employee in hospitality there is a limit as to what can reasonably be done between check ins. And as a present day nurse I fully believe in the benefit of a few microbes here and there. And I fully realize many will disagree.

You should be able to go back in and make changes/additions to your online check-in, or you can call. The fax will cover anything not included. It is up to you, but I did both; I made changes online and did the fax.

You should be able to go back in and make changes/additions to your online check-in, or you can call. The fax will cover anything not included. It is up to you, but I did both; I made changes online and did the fax.

Maybe in the fax I can request an old bedspread for my Royal Room. :rotfl2:
I'm actually kind of serious about this! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter