POR Buses - Are they THAT Bad?

And yes... Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

What I think is even more interesting about the new system is that it will include Disney themed music AND 'audio spiels' (similar to the monorail spiel) for you to listen to which will be triggerred by the GPS location of the bus. So as you drive by Blizzard Beach, it might say "To our left of forward motion is Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park featuring ...."

The audio programs will be slowly phased in over the next 12-18 weeks from now thru the end of June/July (pending any problems or bugs that might pop up). The full on GPS bus scheduling will kick in sometime later this year.

That is really neat! I hope it is up and working by time I go in December! :santa:

Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

What I think is even more interesting about the new system is that it will include Disney themed music AND 'audio spiels' (similar to the monorail spiel) for you to listen to which will be triggerred by the GPS location of the bus. So as you drive by Blizzard Beach, it might say "To our left of forward motion is Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park featuring ...."

The audio programs will be slowly phased in over the next 12-18 weeks from now thru the end of June/July (pending any problems or bugs that might pop up). The full on GPS bus scheduling will kick in sometime later this year.

Thanks!

Knox
Has anyone noticed this yet? Has it begun to show up on he buses?

We were at POR in May & we never had any problems with the buses. The longest we had to wait was 10-15 minutes & that was maybe twice :cool1:

Every DisResort thread that I've ever read,
People complain about the bus system,
my solution is stop complaining and
rent a car if you don't like Free Shuttle to parks,
there will be more room on the bus.
For me, I'm trilled not to have to fight the traffic to get out of
the parking lots.
I think that it's a wonderful service!!!
~~~Thanks Disney~~~:thumbsup2

For me, I'm trilled not to have to fight the traffic to get out of the parking lots.~~~Thanks Disney~~~:thumbsup2

Or walk the huge parking lot back to your car after a full day touring parks. I love the bus system, too.

My experience was that they were terrible. Long lines at the queues, having to stand and be packed in like sardines. They seem to be hit or miss.

Has anyone noticed this yet? Has it begun to show up on he buses?

The information that I read indicated that it was going to start on very specific routes ... and then branch out from there.

Remember - a hitch on any part of the implementation would likely delay the whole thing.

:)

Knox

Not sure if this is still considered an issue, but I wanted to share our June experiences. I never felt like we had to wait very long at all after the parks closed. I did think it was ridiculous how they stuffed so many on a bus. We decided a couple of times to wait for another bus instead of getting on one and have to stand up.

My husband and I stayed there in July of 2004. We had no issues whatsoever with the busses. We LOVE Riverside and will be going back next August. Enjoy your trip! :wizard:

After reading through this thread and others like it(POR buses), I can only conclude that the bus opinions vary based on...

A. Which POR bus stop you use

B. Time of day you are riding the bus

C. Which park you are heading to/from

D. How crowded the resort is.

E. Individual tolerance level

The one thing that WDW could do, is to reduce the bus capacity in terms of how many people can stand, but that will only drive wait times up unless more buses are added.

Is it safe to assume that if I had a rental car, that time wise, I would be better off driving to EC, AK & MGM, but rely on the buses for MK so I don't have to fight the monorail/boat after parking?

Sounds like you hit it on the money. We have never had problems with the buses except coming from MK and DMGM. I always wait awhile after the park closes and then head to the buses so the crowds have dwindled. I have never taken a vehicle to the parks due to it is the only time my DH and I can drink together and not have to worry about who is driving home.
Even if the buses are bad it won't spoil your trip.:banana:

In your opinion which bus stop at POR is the best and why? :hippie:

I've only stayed at POFQ but our next trip will probably be POR. My plan is to use the main bus stop out front. It's the first POR pick-up after they stop at POFQ, so if it's a busy time of day I would theorize you have a better chance of grabbing a seat. I don't know if the front stop will continue to be the first POR pick-up with the new bus system, though.

FTR, we didn't have any problems with POFQ/POR buses getting to the parks. There were a few times after park closing that we had to wait forever for a bus to show up or wait for another bus due to crowds. But getting TO the parks was a piece of cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter