POR Buses - Are they THAT Bad?

We were there Jan 1-7 and had a terrible time with the buses. We waited one night over 90 minutes to get on a bus from EPCOT. It was absolutely terrible. We were way out in AB and found that it was pretty much standing room only to go anywhere by the time we got picked up.

Just back and stayed at POFQ. Granted we were the first stop on and first ones off, but the buses were great. The only really crowded bus was one that came back about 2 pm from MK. The driver even joked about the afternoon sardine run.

I stayed at POR in July '05 and didn't see any problems with the busses. However, this was my first time back to Disney since 1989, so I really have nothing to compare it to. But from what I could tell it seemed okay with me!

The bus service was not bad though when you think about how long other hotels have to wait in the morning. The only problem happens on the way back to the park and we have three kids. I guess we just manage well. You just have to push your way through at night, but be respectful! We even have to carry a bulky stoller becasue we opted to not rent one there.

The bus service at POR was no different than any other resort that we stayed at previously. We had no problems and no complaints about it.

We have stayed there in the past and the buses are my only complaint. They were often so crowded had to stand on the bus. We didn't encounter that problem on our last trip to CSR. But who knows things may have changed.:confused3

I have stayed at POR twice now, and have not had problems with the busses. Can't wait to stay there again in August!

Melissa

The last 2 times we stayed at POR the buses were the same. Going in the am or the pm wasn't bad at all. It was leaving the parks at the end of the night that were bad. We usually always stay late and wait for the rush crowd to exit first. We shop in the stores or wait on the curb sides. Of the 3 kids 1 is usually asleep and the other 2 are still on cloud 9.:wizard: Once we do leave the line up is almost 1/2 gone and the wait is much shorter. Sometimes I think they do forget about POR and then all of a sudden 2 buses show up at once and they get you out. I feel it is better then having to worry about driving. I like at the end of the day someone else is driving and I don't have to. We're heading back again in March 2008 and it still won't effect my opinion on POR.:yay: :yay: :yay:

If you're going in June this year I recommend staying at the French Quarter. I've stayed there in June for the last 3 summers & you don't have to wait that long to get a bus there (usually) because you get picked up there before Riverside. Also, FQ only has 1 bus stop compared to the 4 stops that Riverside has. The only thing is that bus rides could be kinda long due to picking up at all 5 (total) stops. Another plus about the FQ is at night you have your own stop leaving the Magic Kingdom compared to all of Riverside who has to share. FQ is also very small & quiet- everything is in close walking distance. I love it!

We just got back last night from POR and we never had a problem with the buses. We stayed in AB bldg. 34 which is just around the corner from the West bus stop. It was always the first stop to be picked up and then we would go around the loop and the last stop would be the main stop. There were always alot more people getting on the buses at the main stop and some would have to stand. There were always alot of MK & Epcot buses. The longest wait we had was for the AK bus. But it still wasn't too long. I thought they did a great job with the buses. One night we left MK after fireworks and had to wait in what looked to be a long line but didn't really have a wait, the next bus pulled up right after the first bus pulled out. They would always drop off first at the main bus stop and then the West depot was next.

This was our 5th trip and the first at POR. We have stayed the other 4 times at Poly so we were very spoiled by the monorail. But being peak season and no discounts we decided to try the POR. We really enjoyed our stay and will probably stay there again in the future.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We have been wishing we were still there!

:)

Despite the posts saying that the POR lines were always the longest when leaving the park..

ALL the bus lines are going to be long when leaving the park. The buses are on a heavy cycle at that point and no matter WHAT line I'm in -- I feel like it's the slowest movest and longest and has the least buses operating on it! ;)

So.. to ease my mind in that regard.. I linger in the parks a bit longer (I actually plan for this) .. wander the shops on Main Street.. catch an attraction when the lines have died down or whatever.. and then leave the park after the bulk of the crowd has left.

I never EVER leave right after Wishes or the Spectro parade. Ever. That's just exactly like asking someone to beat my head with a brick. ;)

Knox

Just back and stayed at POFQ. Granted we were the first stop on and first ones off, but the buses were great. The only really crowded bus was one that came back about 2 pm from MK. The driver even joked about the afternoon sardine run.
I can attest to this situation on the buses. Try it with kids and strollers. It's not fun.

Despite the posts saying that the POR lines were always the longest when leaving the park..

ALL the bus lines are going to be long when leaving the park. The buses are on a heavy cycle at that point and no matter WHAT line I'm in -- I feel like it's the slowest movest and longest and has the least buses operating on it! ;)

So.. to ease my mind in that regard.. I linger in the parks a bit longer (I actually plan for this) .. wander the shops on Main Street.. catch an attraction when the lines have died down or whatever.. and then leave the park after the bulk of the crowd has left.

I never EVER leave right after Wishes or the Spectro parade. Ever. That's just exactly like asking someone to beat my head with a brick. ;)

Knox

That's exactly my experience!! All the other lines are moving, but not mine!! Doesn't matter where I'm staying. It just 'seems' like your resort bus line is the worst. I also try to leave the park later rather than immediatly after the fireworks. That's asking for trouble.
But, I've yet to have an issue with the POR buses. It's a big resort, POFQ adds a bit to the fray. But, I've done buses at POP, ASMusic, BC, BW, the S/D. You want lines? Try getting on a bus at BW in the morning! Now, that's fun. All the buses share the same miseries. There is no perfect bus solution. It's way to fluid a situation. If you try to get on a bus at 8:15ish, for park opening at 9, you are going to make a lot of new friends. So, get on one of the very early buses, or wait until after the park has opened. Everyone seems to want to be on the bus at 8:15-8:30....it's a total zoo!!

They may all share the same misery at closing but not all share buses with other resorts. That makes a huge difference. I think it adds to the problem.

Thanks everyone - your comments have been very helpful. :thanks:

We're going to get to the bus stop early (maybe 7:45) :sunny: and will be leaving MK late for extra magic hours. So maybe that will help with the MK bus lines???

I'm going to adopt a "kick back & relax" attitude for the whole trip, lines or no lines. :cool2:

So looking forward to it!!!!!!! 2 months now!!!!

Thanks everyone - your comments have been very helpful. :thanks:

We're going to get to the bus stop early (maybe 7:45) :sunny: and will be leaving MK late for extra magic hours. So maybe that will help with the MK bus lines???

I'm going to adopt a "kick back & relax" attitude for the whole trip, lines or no lines. :cool2:

So looking forward to it!!!!!!! 2 months now!!!!

That's a great attitude! Luckily, I didn't read alot on here before our trip last May, or it might have scared me off. Like you're planning to do, we caught the bus around 7:45 each morning (at the West Depot) Very few people waiting, no long waits for the busses, ALWAYS got a seat. West depot was 1st stop during our stay. Leaving the parks: we left after Fantasmic, after Illuminations, before Wishes. I honestly don't remember much about it, so that says it wasn't a "nightmare." I know there was a line, but it moved pretty quickly. I think we waited for a 2nd or maybe 3rd bus a time or two, but they pulled up one right after the other. NEVER waited for 6busses! NEVER took us 1 to 2 hours to get back to our room. Really, with a positive attitude (and I think it's a reflection of one's overall attitude) I think you'll be fine. :goodvibes I truly hope that is the case!

This will be our 1st trip to POR and it will be during Memorial Day weekend so I am prepared to wait. We do the early thing too, and that helps but I'm not used to all these stops around the resort. I hope to be staying in AB section, and hopefully will be by the 1st depot in the back.

I have a few questions about Port Orleans Riverside bus service.

1) Do they share with other resorts? We stayed at Pop last year and we were very happy with the wait times and crowds for the bus.

2) We are requesting the mansions, so which depot do the buses start at? Again Pop only had one.

3) Do they have dedicated buses to Animal Kingdom/some water park like Pop did or will we have to go to DTD to get a bus?

Thanks!

I was at PoP 4 times last summer-fall. I went to POR in February. You share the bus with POFQ. There are several bus stops with a roof over them. I liked it a lot better than POP. The best thing is that it wasn't the farthest bus stop when coming home from the parks. It is like being at 2 whole different worlds. POP is very fun and exciting, but the bus can be a problem. POR is much quieter. But I love them both

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter